Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got boys 8 & 10 that love HeroScape, and I'd like to introduce to more of a "dungeon crawl" game.

Tom Vasal recommended Descent, but I'm concerned it may be too long, and too complicated for my boys. I'm also looking at Return of the Heroes, HeroQuest and Runebound.

My boys are able to play some fairly complicated games, but the younger can lose focus. Cooperative would be a plus as the younger also wouldn't feel like he lost. Anything over 2 hours would really be pushing the younger one's attention span.

Any parents out there with kids my age wanna chime in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to second Tom's supporting of Descent. We also have Runeboud. My kids 11 and 14 (a little older than yours) prefer Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't compare Return of the Heroes to a dungeon crawl like Doom or Descend. But from another member of my gaming club (with kids around the same age), i heard that RotH was the best purchase he ever made. His childs played it a lot during his last holiday on rainy days. I met him on a con, where he was with 4 kids, playing it (with the expansion). Unfortunately he got killed early and went off to play something else.

In Return of the Heroes, unlike a real dungeon crawl, there is no fight between the players. It isn't cooperative either; it is more like a race to increase the power of your character, to a point where he is strong enough to fight the boss monster. It's this character developement which the kids enjoyed; it isn't that important to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
davebo wrote:

Tom Vasal recommended Descent, but I'm concerned it may be too long, and too complicated for my boys. I'm also looking at Return of the Heroes, HeroQuest and Runebound.

My boys are able to play some fairly complicated games, but the younger can lose focus. Cooperative would be a plus as the younger also wouldn't feel like he lost. Anything over 2 hours would really be pushing the younger one's attention span.

Any parents out there with kids my age wanna chime in?

I've played both Descent and Runebound with my 8 year old son, and 10 year old daughter. They have loved both, although both are really on the long side for the 8 year old (although he won't pass up a chance to play). HeroQuest, I have played, but not with my kids. It feels like a much lighter (and quicker) version of Descent, which may be good for kids of your age. Runebound isn't really a dungeon crawl, but is more of an "adventure game". The quests are abstract, but there is a real sense of advancement.

For both Descent and Runebound, what I have found that helps a lot with the attention span is to split the games up. Play an hour or two one day, then finish up on another. You have to have a place where you can leave it set up to allow this, though. This has worked well for these games as well as Arkham horror.

So, for what its worth, Descent and Runebound are my kids favorite games, but if you are too worried about attention spans (you know your kids better than I do), then HeroQuest may be the thing for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh - Return of the Heroes, forgot about that one. My kids enjoy it, and it is within the attention span limits. But I don't like it much (combat is too simple, and the emphasis is on traveling around the board), and my kids do actually prefer Runebound and Descent to this.

One thing to remember, is that in RoTH and Runebound, everyone competes against each other. In Descent and HeroQuest, they are on the same side (if you want them to be), against the bad guy - you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys loved Heroquest (the original basic version) when they were about that age. I thought they would love Descent and/or Doom, but they turned out to be way too fiddly for them. I wouldn't say too complicated.... Just too much shuffling bits and pieces and cards around. The concepts are really cool, but too much downtime for them while trying to figure out who can do what, how the dungeon is built, where the figures and markers you need are, which cards everyone's going to play, and how many dice you get to roll. I ended up being very surprised that they just didn't have the patience for it (and they're now 11 and 13).

I didn't try Runebound with them because *I* didn't like it too much. Serious downtime problem and too repetitive. I've heard some people say Return of the Heroes is better, but someone else told me if I didn't like Runebound, don't bother. I haven't tried it.

At first they refused to play World of Warcraft with me, but when I was playing it with a friend, they seemed very interested in it. Personally, WoW is my favorite of the bunch. The quest concept and the character progression mechanisms seemed to make for the most interesting game play to me, and it played reasonably well even for newbies, although still quite fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound will run 2+ hours and Descent will run 3-4 hours. Return of the Heroes is the best choice in my opinion. It's simple enough for the kids to understand, but it's a really solid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed your 2hr time limit too -- I wouldn't recommend any of these types of games for under 2 hours. Even thought WoW was my favorite, I still think it took us 3+ hours to play to the point where a couple of us were starting to get to the point where we could think about trying to win the game. Probably had 1-2 hours left to play when we called it. I imagine it would be a little snappier with more experience, but I can't imagine it being a lot faster. Most of the other games in this genre seem to go on quite a bit longer than you might like as well, at least in my experience....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ONce again, I will suggest HeroQuest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Descent is clearly the best choice, and here's why.

1) Kids vs Dad - the two youngsters get to play on a team "against" the bad guys. My son finds it much easier to take losing if there are others going down with him. And they'll have great fun taking down dad's monsters.

2) there are some shorter scenarios. Go to the fantasy flight web site and find the database of scenarios. I know there is at least one that is supposed to take around 2 hours.

3) It's a great game kit. WIth some effort you can create your own short scenarios....tack them together for a more epic feel if you want.

4) This one is important...you (the dad) are in control of how hard it is. you can go easy on them, without it being obvious. To win as the overlord, a lot of the time you really need to target one hero, then spring a trap card on him to finish him/her off before they can drink a potion. If the kids are showing signs of it being too hard, don't use traps..spread your attacks out, etc. Really, the overlord can play it like a GameMaster in an RPG.

5) Bits, Bits, Bits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons boardgame would probably fit quite well, but it wouldn't be easy to find over there, I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think some of the people who already posted forgot about the ages of your kids. From what I know of it, WoW would be too much for them. I play Descent, and I'm pretty sure that it would be too much for your youngest. (I'd wait 2-4 years before pulling Descent on them). Heroquest is a good choice, and it sounds like Return of the Heroes is too. So I'd go with one of those two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that it's not straight Fantasy, but have you thought about Betrayal at House on the Hill?

There's a real dungeon-crawl feel to it, exploring the house and randomly generating the rooms... of course someone then goes psycho and you have to kill them, which might be a bit much for an 8 year old. But it's ALWAYS a shorter game than Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've played WoW with my 8 and 10 year old, and the ten year old loved it. The 8 year old - it was a bit much for him. There are just so many cards to read and to choose from.

Betrayal at House on Hill - definitely a good idea. There are issues with the rules, and the fact that you need a huge FAQ, but the playing time is good, and it's a nice game since each game turns into a different story. The only problem is that one player becomes the traitor and must read some special rules. For my 8 year old, he couldn't do that. Some have suggested that the adult, or older child become the traitor in that case, which could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with a different approach and say Dungeon Twister & expansions. With the new expansion it's shaping up to be a really fun, challenging strategic and tactical game that is more satisfying in some ways than simple "levels and loot."

You have to make strategic choices in selecting your team, and tactical choices as you move through the dungeon and shift the plates. There is no luck involved, so it's all about making good decisions. It's also very replayable and moreso all the time with the upcoming expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TSR's Dragon Strike is a great fit for them. The scenarios only last a certain number of turns and the complexity is just like the old Hero Quest. You can also get it fairly cheap on Ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
bookgnome wrote:
I'd go with a different approach and say Dungeon Twister & expansions.

I tried that as well, but its a very different game than a dungeon crawl. It's really more like a game of chess than an RPG. It's a great game, but it doesn't really do it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Mage Knight Dungeons. You could probably get a couple "builders kits" (not the 3D ones), some heroes, and a batch of mage spawn off Ebay for $20-30. With it being OOP now and the Version 1.0 figures available in lots on Ebay, you could add more "monsters" fairly easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend Dungeoneer?

I've never played it, but seeing as it's described as "Talisman on Speed", and has a 60 min playing time, it might be appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Giro
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
I'll also recommend Descent, my 9 yr old son didn't have problems learning it in about an hour. Warning, the game goes for a loooong time though. We played the shortest scenario with 4 heroes and me as overlord and it took 4 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest would be perfect. I was 12 when it was released, and played it endlessly with my 12 year old pals and our younger siblings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwsparks wrote:

I've never played it, but seeing as it's described as "Talisman on Speed", and has a 60 min playing time, it might be appropriate.

Yep, this one can be interresting, but it's a bit light. a nice filler, we've played a couple of games, but for 8-10 years old, if they read English (assuming you've got an English version), then it shouldn't be too hard. (My kids only speak and read French!).

The game is not up to the style of Descent, HeroQuest or Doom, the Dungeon Crawl aspect is only in the theme, not really within the dynamics of the game. I would think that it is a step down from Heroscape.

I'd suggest Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures (DDM) or Star Wars Miniature (SWM)(I like the later) for dungeon crawling, HeroQuest or Descent are good too. It's been a while since I played HeroQuest.

My kids are a bit younger, the 2 oldest are 6 and 8. They liked SWM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scubadawg1 wrote:
I'd recommend Mage Knight Dungeons. You could probably get a couple "builders kits" (not the 3D ones), some heroes, and a batch of mage spawn off Ebay for $20-30. With it being OOP now and the Version 1.0 figures available in lots on Ebay, you could add more "monsters" fairly easily.

I was thinking of buying some of those figures to use with HeroQuest or Heroscape as custom minis. Sounds like a good option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
I was thinking of buying some of those figures to use with HeroQuest or Heroscape as custom minis. Sounds like a good option.

My boys and I have fun getting HeroClix figures and using them in HeroScape. It's nice to sit there, look at a figure, and talk about what this character can do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
dwsparks wrote:

I've played it with my 8 and 10 year old twice. It was "OK". Didn't grab me or the kids, but was OK. It's not expensive and doesn't take up much shelf space, plays quickly (relatively) and is portable, so it's worth checking out. We took it on trips where we didn't want to take the big games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.