Subject: KublaCon from SF? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings, I'm thinking of going to San Francisco for a class (software patents) just before the KublaCon weekend and staying near Market Street's BART station.

Is the best way to get to Kublacon going to be to take BART to the SF Int'l Airport and then the Hyatt shuttle to the con?

Thanks for any insights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
peacmyer wrote:
... staying near Market Street's BART station.
Is the best way to get to Kublacon going to be to take BART to the SF Int'l Airport and then the Hyatt shuttle to the con?

While this would probably be the best way to go if you wanted to stay in San Francisco. But, that trip could take you some time. And, BART stops running some time after midnight, and open gaming at the con can go much later than that.
I'd recommend staying at the Hyatt.

Edit: Another option is to take CalTrain. Check the weekend hours first. Take the N Judah to PacBell Park/SBC Park/AT&T Park. Walk the 1/2 block to CalTrain and take the train to Burlingame. The Hyatt probably has a shuttle bus from the CalTrain station to the hotel. Again, check routes and schedules, and check with the hotel to see if they offer a shuttle.
http://511.org has great transit info.

--mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From looking at the con location and the BART map that should work well for you. From the looks of it the Bart will drop you off right at the airport. The BART times are such that you could stay the entire day and still catch the BART back into the city

And now that I know that there is going to be a con there I think I am going to try and hit that one myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make it to KublaCon, please come introduce yourself. I will be there, and will be running Power Grid at 3 p.m. on Sat. and a Puerto Rico tournament at 3 p.m. on Sunday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using BART to the Airport and taking the hotel shuttle is probably the easiest way to get from Market St. to Kublacon without a car.

But I have to second getting a room at the hotel for the weekend for the con Hotel prices in downtown SF are very high and it might even be cheaper (Assuming the extra days you'd be staying after your training class aren't picked up by your company.), as well as certainly far more convenient, to stay at the Hyatt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everybody, I'll have my family in tow and so will probably only drag them to the con for a single partial day....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
What's the verdict on KublaCon in general?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, it is, hands-down, my FAVORITE game convention! I live in L.A. (almost 400 miles south) but I very happily make the trip north for KublaCon every year. I wouldn't miss it for the world!

It's expertly run, brimming with terrific events (covering everything from boardgames (duh) to CCGs, miniatures, RPGs, LARPs, a great auction, an amazing flea market, etc.), it's in a REALLY nice venue (the hotel is fantastic) and it attracts several excellent guests (Reiner Knizia has done two of them, Guido Teuber seems to be a regular, a bunch of Brits associated with Games Workshop and Mongoose are usually there, and then, of course there's Derk and Aldie).

It really is an excellent event and I don't often gush this much about such things.

~Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, sounds like fun :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klellingson wrote:
If you make it to KublaCon, please come introduce yourself. I will be there, and will be running Power Grid at 3 p.m. on Sat. and a Puerto Rico tournament at 3 p.m. on Sunday.
I think I'd like to participate in each of those!

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
What's the verdict on KublaCon in general?

I went last year for the first time, and I had a wonderful time. It was great in every respect. I'm going again this year...

I might need to find a room - anyone have space? I believe I spent maybe 9 hours total in the room last year.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I've never been to a boardgame 'con' before. Done other cons, but not a gaming specific one. Is Kubla heavily organised time wise or mostly 'pick up' games? Lots of after hour gaming with friendly people? Lots of 'cliques' of people who know each other outside of the con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.