Viticulture» Forums » General

Subject: Annoying box size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
I really like Viticulture. I played it at Origins and I had to buy a copy right away.

But what's up with the non-standard box size? It's more or less the small Alea box size (Louis XIV), but about twice as deep. And there's no reason whatsoever for it since it's all empty space.

I imagine it was cheaper to manufacture it that way, but I really wish it could have been thinner. I could have fit two games in that space on the bookshelf instead

I really hope Euphoria has a more appropiatedly-sized box without much wasted space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is full almost to the top, although I did get the KS edition so there if more stuff in the box.

Edit: I believe the Dev (Jamey) has some expansions planned so maybe he left room to put everything in the base game box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noel--The box is that deep because it was required to fit all the Kickstarter-exclusive items in the box. Also, it was designed lengthwise and widthwise to fit snugly inside of a medium flat-rate shipping box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Interesting. I thought of that, but I didn't think that KS items would be that bulky since they're often extra cards or at most one more punch out sheet.

I guess the good news is that the box will be filled to the brim whenever I buy the upgrade kit in your next KS campaign

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Also, it was designed lengthwise and widthwise to fit snugly inside of a medium flat-rate shipping box.

Does "snugly" mean with no padding, or with some packing material (like bubble wrap) around it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From two dimensions, it barely fits inside the box. From the third dimension, it needs padding.

As it turns out, we ended up shipping hardly any games that way since we use Amazon fulfillment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i LOVE the box and its size. If i want lots of air in a box i buy ffg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
My point is that the box is too big for what it has. Very much FFG style. Although if you bought it through KS maybe it's a bit more full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
What's serendipitous is that with the crate-art sleeve, the dimensions of the box really make it look like a mini crate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As this has recently been discussed about Castle Dice, it is less costly for KS creators to make the game box fit snugly in the shipping box to reduce damaged games. This is going to continue to be the trend with KS games. Boss Monster was also made to fit the shipping box, but thankfully it was small and all the contents fit appropriately inside. So it wasn't as big of an issue.

But yeah, finding shelf space as I get more and more differently shaped boxes is going to be challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
As this has recently been discussed about Castle Dice, it is less costly for KS creators to make the game box fit snugly in the shipping box to reduce damaged games. This is going to continue to be the trend with KS games. Boss Monster was also made to fit the shipping box, but thankfully it was small and all the contents fit appropriately inside. So it wasn't as big of an issue.

But yeah, finding shelf space as I get more and more differently shaped boxes is going to be challenging.

Seems to me that ignores the basic physics of shipping, e.g. that a game that touches the walls of the outer carton gets the force of any mistreatment directly transferred to it. Isn't that why they recommend cushioning material on all sides or something? Isn't that basic shipping packaging 101?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
My point is that the box is too big for what it has. Very much FFG style. Although if you bought it through KS maybe it's a bit more full.

Try replacing "a bit more full" with "stuffed" . It's six coasters, six extra player mats, an extra rulebook, an art print, a sheet of stickers, more meeples, more cards and a score book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Seems to me that ignores the basic physics of shipping, e.g. that a game that touches the walls of the outer carton gets the force of any mistreatment directly transferred to it. Isn't that why they recommend cushioning material on all sides or something? Isn't that basic shipping packaging 101?

Actually, the most important thing (assuming the contents aren't fragile) is to make sure the contents of the box is the right size and strong enough to keep the outer box from deforming. Once the shipping box deforms, it loses strength and can no longer effectively protect the contents.

So, if the game box is properly filled up (tray, counter sheets, etc), then the Castle Dice box that perfectly fits in the packing box is a very sturdy solution. In fact the outer box is really just there to protect the game box from scuffs or tears, the game box can otherwise stand up for itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Viticulture has yet to make it to a shelf. It's happy staying on the table, getting played.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually store Viticulture on my wine rack, not with my other games. With the crate sleeve it is one my wife doesn't mind me displaying "out in the open".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about this some more last night and I think perhaps the box size does matter more than one might realize. First of all there are probably retail implications: on one hand a larger box might be more noticeable, but on the other hand the retailer might not think the game is worth the shelf space.

But for me personally the box size definitely matters. My game collection is only limited by how many games I can store in my game room on the various shelves I have, which amounts to about 300-400 games. This game takes up about as much space as two "normal" euro game boxes. So when I have to cull my collection the next time, I'll have to ask myself "Is Viticulture better than both Agricola and Le Havre together" and of course the answer is no, but then it might be better than two other games. Eventually it may get to the point where Viticulture is not good enough for it to take the place of two other presumably great games and perhaps I sell it.

Next, when I pack my Sam's Club or IKEA bag to bring to a gaming night, I have a very similar situation. Do I bring Viticulture or do I bring two other games that take the same amount of space? In other words, I'm unlikely to carry this with me because of its size. Now, I'm also unlikely to carry Twilight Imperium for the same reason, but that is a game you have to plan to play, where Viticulture could just be played randomly if somebody was carrying it with them.

In this case I don't think the box is too unreasonably large for its contents though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried to take out just the KS stuff to see how full the box would be, but I suspect it would seem a bit empty. It's definitely pretty full with all of the KS stuff. Like Noel said, at least there's clearly room for holding the expansion items from the planned 2014 KS campaign.

When I go to my monthly boardgame day, I pack games in a Home Depot plastic tub. Viticulture is a nice size, as I can store in on it's side without it wanting to tip over or open up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any games at all that have a proper box size...I mean seriously, there isn't any pair of games I own with the same box size, sequels aside.

And on that note, well, I don't really mind what it's dimensions are, 'cause they'll almost certainly be completely different to everything else I have anyway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoothsmith wrote:
Is there any games at all that have a proper box size...I mean seriously, there isn't any pair of games I own with the same box size, sequels aside.

And on that note, well, I don't really mind what it's dimensions are, 'cause they'll almost certainly be completely different to everything else I have anyway

There certainly are a few "standard" sizes. While I agree they're not ideal, I would always rather that a new box matches at least one box already on my shelf than to be a unique size.

The world would be filled with unicorns, rainbows, and gumdrops if game publishers could standardize on about 3-4 box sizes and shapes. I would love to see game designers keep box sizes in mind when they choose components (such as board sizes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Dell
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
llopis wrote:

With all the kickstarter stuff and properly cataloging the game we had to pull the tray out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.