GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The variants I'm referring to are:
1. advancing the clock by 4,5, or 6
2. adding a mandatory doom token every round on top of what the card says.
3. players keep gained elder signs by their character card, and discard them if they die
4. a combination of the above three

If people are finding the expansion too easy, will adding these tried-and-true variants balance it out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes/Yes.

There's a custom Yibb-Tsttll AO that advances the clock by 4 hours each time and it makes the game a lot harder.

2-4 should work but haven't tried them yet. I really like #3.

Some methods I've tried/plan to try:

1) Clues re-roll only one die (2 for Joe Diamond) This levels off the difficulty nicely.

2) Lock a Green Die all game until the Ancient One awakens (my favorite difficulty-boost) Haven't tried this with the expansion but it turns the original game into a life-or-death struggle every time.

3) Start Everyone Cursed (haven't tried this yet)

4) Use the original Other World cards that add Doom Tokens when you beat them. I feel there's too many chances to subtract Doom Tokens in "Unseen Forces"

5) Set aside all the "At Midnight" cards and any Adventures that lock dice (I threw in the "Elder Sign" and "Repugnant Tome" for good measure) then shuffle these into the top half of the deck. This variant ranges from tough to impossible.

Someone should print up some cool-looking "Difficulty Cards"- you draw one before each game and that's the variant you have to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your rule about clues.
It doesn't really make sense to me that per the official rules, investigators can reroll any number of dice for each clue they spend. That's too forgiving.

I'll adopt a rule that you have to commit to the number of clues you wish to spend for your reroll, and then reroll the same number of dice.

I'm afraid rule number 2 may be too hard, as you have said, especially when compounded with similar game effects and AO abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're gonna play with the clock advancing every 6 hours, and a mandatory doomer per Midnight.

There should have been a scalable difficulty variant pertaining to the clock, so that each investigator will only get to go once per day cycle.

I feel the need to emulate the tension found in games like Ghost Stories.
There should be shortage of time to complete all these tasks.

When you feel pressured, every decision counts.

As is, there's too much time to stroll around, raking in trophies and exchanging them for prizes.Imagine if in Ghost Stories a monster would come abount only every 4 turns, and we'll just be relaxing at the Alchemist's Shop, harvesting Tao tokens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
We're gonna play with the clock advancing every 6 hours, and a mandatory doomer per Midnight.

There should have been a scalable difficulty variant pertaining to the clock, so that each investigator will only get to go once per day cycle.

I feel the need to emulate the tension found in games like Ghost Stories.
There should be shortage of time to complete all these tasks.

That's insanity! Let me know how it goes :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advancing it 6hrs seems like overkill.

I mis_read the rules at first: I was playing Spells after rolling instead of before, which made things even easier. Its always good to double check the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The revised rules do have you playing spells after rolling the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Advancing it 6hrs seems like overkill.

Well, I'll be able to playtest these only starting tomorrow, since that's when I get my copy along with the expansion. 6 hours+mandatory doomer does seem like overkill.

I've played Elder Sign before, though. It's a good game; it just needs more tension.
And since it's moddable to boot, there's no harm in houseruling some changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cotter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
This is just my opinion (so grain of salt time), but I think you guys are working entirely too hard to solve a problem that has already been taken care of. Just cull the Mythos and/or Adventure decks of easy cards and advance the clock 4 or 5 hrs per turn and you're gonna find the game is quite a challenge. Some of your ideas will make the game oppressively hard which is just gonna make it really difficult to get people to play it again.

I'd also stay far away from any house rule that takes dice out of players hands...it is a dice game after all...less dice=less fun imo. Same goes for manipulating dice, I find it very satisfying when getting a second chance at a roll or changing that one die to complete a task. There is not a lot of meat in this game to begin with, you take away dice and/or nerf dice manipulation and the game is going to get bland really quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This. I think culling the Mythos deck and the Adventure/Other World decks work pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the Master Mythos cards add sufficient difficulty. Reading them certainly made me think "eek!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now that I got the game, I think we'll play with our exploration variant, the clock advancing every 4 hours, and more rigid movement.
I'd just really like to recreate the feeling of exploring the museum, rather than merely handpicking the adventures to resolve

So, in other words.

1. The clock advances every 4 hours

2. The six starting cards are placed facedown and joined with the entrance at the bottom of the card layout.

3. The museum entrance is part of the map through which investigators can move only to adjacent adventures on their turn.

4. New adventure cards are always placed facedown

5. Investigators can travel to adjacent facedown cards to reveal them, and try to resolve the tasks on the card.

6. Any time the game calls for the appearance of a monster, and all the cards are either facedown, or have a monster on them already, flip over an adventure card of your choice and put the monster on it.
In case there's a choice of where to put the monsters on the cards, adventures with designated monster tasks take precedence for placement.

7. Any time the investigator completes an adventure, any one unassigned die in the remaining dice pool from his last roll showing an investigation result, may be used to flip over and reveal an equal number of facedown cards on the table.

*So, for instance,if there are two unassigned dice in the dice pool showing an investigation result after a successful resolution of the adventure, pick one of the dice and reveal facedown cards up to the number of investigation results showing on it.

8. Upon successfully completing an adventure, investigators have the option to return to the museum entrance immediately and end their turn there, or stay where they are.

9. Clues can be spent to reroll dice on a 1-to 1 basis. Each clue spent gives you the option to reroll one die. Clues must be all spent together before rerolling any dice.

Still not sure about step 8, I'd rather not give them that choice, but let them stay where they are, but we're gonna put it to the test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just add one rule that makes sense and makes it much more difficult:

When a character is devoured, the player is eliminated from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

Nooooooo! Player elimination in a co-op game is a very, very bad thing. Imagine, you get a random devouring (maybe from a Mythos - I'm pretty sure there is a Mythos/Master Mythos that says "choose an Investigator: that Investigator is Devoured"). This could happen as early as the first day and now you are out of the game. Sux. Very non-co-op. I'd strongly advise against this.

IMO, the house rule would be worded better as: "When an Investigator is Devoured, that Investigator is not replaced. If the Devoured Investigator was the last remaining Investigator controlled by the Player, then that Player is eliminated from the game". This handles solo play and multi-investigator players better than the original wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
BimmyJim wrote:

Nooooooo! Player elimination in a co-op game is a very, very bad thing. Imagine, you get a random devouring (maybe from a Mythos - I'm pretty sure there is a Mythos/Master Mythos that says "choose an Investigator: that Investigator is Devoured"). This could happen as early as the first day and now you are out of the game. Sux. Very non-co-op. I'd strongly advise against this.

IMO, the house rule would be worded better as: "When an Investigator is Devoured, that Investigator is not replaced. If the Devoured Investigator was the last remaining Investigator controlled by the Player, then that Player is eliminated from the game". This handles solo play and multi-investigator players better than the original wording.

It is a co-op game, and that's why (we think) adding this rule makes it more co-op-like.. people have to work together to keep everyone alive, rather than people doing whatever they want because it doesn't matter if you're devoured or not.

The mythos card that auto-devours someone is a choice mythos card.. so 90% of the time, we'd just pick the other option.

Plus our group likes the hardcore-style type of gaming.. I suppose this variant wouldn't be for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The elimination rule is merely deterring, so you will manage your investigator's resources more carefully.

You know what, in contrary to all I've said, I've had an absolute blast today playing this game with my brother for the first time, with most of the rules as written. I don' know why went so crazily headlong into variant territory. We'll keep those as a side option.

Last time I played it was with an uncooperative bunch of people who just didn't have their head in the game, so it felt lacking.

Nyarlathotep was our rival today,and we were playing with Sister Mary and Jenny and although, the Elder God only managed to get three doom tokens on his track, the session was just awesome, as we were discussing the order of priorities in tackling the adventures, resource management, and so on.

The only modifications we've agreed on to implement so far are:

1)Devoured investigators are eliminated

2) A mandatory doomer is added at midnight(in light of our first session with a crawling doom track)

3) Clues are spent on rerolls on a 1-to 1 basis(one die per clue spent). This one is a must. It feels so unfair to reroll all your dice pool on a clue; it's just ridiculously overpowered.All the risk management flies out the window.

Can't wait for the expansion to arrive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
It is a co-op game, and that's why (we think) adding this rule makes it more co-op-like.. people have to work together to keep everyone alive, rather than people doing whatever they want because it doesn't matter if you're devoured or not.
could you describe some useful tactics for keeping others alive in this game? I see very few opportunities (and many of them are Investigator/Item dependent)

Quote:
The mythos card that auto-devours someone is a choice mythos card.. so 90% of the time, we'd just pick the other option.
only 90%? I assume this is based on your estimate of how close you are to win/lose or how much a player has pissed you off? I would have expected a higher number.

Quote:
Plus our group likes the hardcore-style type of gaming.. I suppose this variant wouldn't be for everyone
so - by inference - mine doesn't like "hard-core"? Which I assume also makes my group inferior to yours in some way because somehow "hard-core" is better. BTW what is "hardcore-style of gaming"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, we've been playing one rule wrong.
So, the immediate effect on the first Mythos card is ignored entirely?

This feels counter-intuitive to me. It's like ignoring the gate opening in Arkham Horror during the 1st Mythos phase Strange...

Well, we'll continue playing as we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:
Apparently, we've been playing one rule wrong.
So, the immediate effect on the first Mythos card is ignored entirely?

No, the rules in step 9 of the setup say to resolve it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the confusion here is because although the game starts with the clock at midnight, midnight does not strike at that point.

So "at midnight" effects do not occur at the start of the game. But the Mythos card's immediate effect is not an "at midnight" effect, so it does occur!

That confused me too at first. There was a discussion about it on here not long ago, but I can't find it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, it's the following thread
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/978612/another-thread-about-...

I was just reading it when I posted the above.It's good to know that the game is not easier than I thought. Either way, I think with those houserules we've adopted, there's no chance of it ever being easy.

Today's game was our first session against Yig. What a meanie! A short doom track, full of monster summonings and the initial Adventure setup was threatening to kill us from the very start.
The Curator, two adventure cards that lock dice, and the red die was double-locked by the High Priest. It was a very tense game.

I was playing the Archeologist, my brother was Dexter the Magician.
Dexter got himself devoured by Yig's awakening, and while I was at full health, and with 4 clue tokens, and 3 Unique items, I couldn't roll the required 2 Skulls to save my life. After 12 rounds of combat, I was still short of four successes.

Another victory to the Mythos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After several games with this houserule, I think the nerf to the 1 to 1 clue/die ratio for rerolls is insufficient in Elder Sign and devalues clue tokens far too much. In Arkham Horror the chance to score a success was 33.3%(50% if Blessed). In Elder Sign this chance is halved for most tasks.

Plus, Clues are rather scarce as rewards, and should be made more useful. So,we'll play with 1 Clue/ per two dice rerolled(4 for Joe Diamond).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I thought would make the game more entertaining is if you couldn't just ignore an adventure indefinitely. It would eventually cause problems if you didn't solve it, meaning that there would be a bit of a rush to make sure everything is taken care of.

So, my variant, which is a bit more involved (and totally untested):

During setup, after placing the six initial adventures, place the following tokens on the cards:
-First and second: 2 doom tokens
-Third and fourth: 2 elder signs
-Fifth: 1 sanity
-Sixth: 1 stamina

When an adventure is completed, the replacement adventure card is placed face-down, and cannot be attempted or entered until it is turned face-up.

At midnight, after resolving any "at midnight" effects on face-up adventures, remove one token from each face-up adventure. If any adventure doesn't have a token to remove, instead the following effect happens based on what token was on that card:
-Doom token: Add one doom token to the doom track.
-Elder sign: A monster appears.
-Sanity: All investigators that took a turn this day lose one sanity.
-Stamina: All investigators that took a turn this day lose one stamina.

Finally, turn all face-down adventures over and place tokens on them as during setup.

The idea is that if any adventure goes for multiple days without being resolved (three days for the doom token or elder sign adventures, two days for the sanity or stamina adventures), bad things start to happen to the investigators. Like I said though, I haven't tested this out yet so I don't know how well it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.