Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Siegert
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello, If I have thought of having new ships printed by a company that prints 3D models, I'm sure others have too. When the game is released, since the ship 3D specs will be open sourced, I will be looking for a "economical" printing company, as will some others, I am sure. Staples will be offering 3D printing in Europe, but not here in the US yet. On the other hand, quality 3D printing will become more available as time goes on, and the costs of the machines and supplies lessen.

So, If people want to recommend printers to check, please do so here. Thank you!

Or someone could start a Kickstarter for printing game parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick_S wrote:
So, If people want to recommend printers to check, please do so here. Thank you!
Shapeways
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Reasonable" depends on a few things. Shapeways and other 3d printing services charge based on material type and volume used. The higher quality the material, the more expensive. Models that are hollow are also cheaper. There are going to be some growing pains as amateur designers figure out how to design for cost. I expect the first round of xia ships from the community to be more expensive than "reasonable"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New ships do not need to be 3D printed - there are dozens of toy companies that produce cheap plastic spaceships that could be used and painted. Just have a look on ebay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son Do
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Curufea wrote:
New ships do not need to be 3D printed - there are dozens of toy companies that produce cheap plastic spaceships that could be used and painted. Just have a look on ebay
Actually this is a very good idea. My only problem is I don't know how and dont have the facilities to make the ship mats/sheets/cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd be the case whether or not the ship was 3D printed and is a separate issue.

However, you've come to the right place. BGG is strewn with us Print&play game designers and other folk that just love either fiddling with Photoshop or GIMP and using Artscow, or are keen in pointing you in the direction of tutorials and advice on how to make these things yourself.

Either have a look at the variant messages in any forum for any game - or have a look in the forums here specific to making games and game parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls