GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,481 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 4 Player - Perfect Scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruck Ness
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Played a 6 player game last night and wanted to post both that session and the previous session because they both demonstrate how much luck is involved in winning these games sometimes. So I'll do the 4 player game in this thread and the 6 in a follow up thread.

House Rules:
1) Total Power Token count is kept secret and is never revealed. All of use that play are either Engineers or Programmers so number crunching when we all know exactly what everyone has kills clashes ... plus we start doing all kinds of math in our heads and it takes longer.
2) House Cards are secret except for discard pile during planning phase. More or less this makes everyone pay attention to the game more. No texting your girlfriend while Greyjoy is fighting Stark, then asking to go through his deck 10 minutes later to see if he played Balon. If anyone asks I have a sheet that lists every houses house cards so you know their effects.
3) I own 3 copies of this game (excessive I know) so we play with 2 sets of the Westeros House cards (still only flipping one card per phase each round) because we had started meta-gaming the no support card too much. With 1 deck we'd almost all wait for the no support card to hit and then attack anyone turtling. Lannister & Martell were getting owned with this and they are hard enough to win with anyway. With 2 decks we can't really do that and it has changed the game quite a bit for the good in my opinion. Good Lannister and Martell players can finish pretty high second or third, but still haven't won.

Wish the game contained "more" and "different" Westeros cards. Also wish the game included blank order tokens. We sometimes get into situations where you have to play an illegal token (either a special order above your limit or a order type that is not allowed) which can then lead to gaming the system when you have to "pull" a token. If you have two that could be chosen you can pull 1 after seeing the other players orders. So I took one of my sets and took a black sharpie to the order icons and made them blank. Wish the game provided that.

Players:
Baratheon (Myself) - It's my game, I know the rules, pretty decent overall but really strong in card management.
Greyjoy - My brother, lives with me, he's our best player and usually wins most games sees all the moves in advance by several rounds.
Stark - Friend that introduced me to the game, understands the rules and concepts but doesn't always execute good strategy however sometimes he pulls off moves that makes you go wow.
Lannister - Relatively new, but a huge gamer. Aggressive and cocky.

Early Rounds 1 & 2: Muster hit beginning round 2.
Baratheon - Grab King's Landing, Special Muster on Dragonstone and a lot of Consolidate Powers. Did not take Crackclaw Point.
Stark - Took 2 barrels. Special Muster on Winterfell. Grabbed Moat Cailin and the Narrow Sea.
Greyjoy pounded the crap out of Lannister. Riverrun, Golden Sound, Lannisport all belong to Greyjoy.
Lannister - Surviving with Harrenhal and Blackwater Bay.

^ Summation of the Greyjoy / Lannister combat ... Lannister had previously played with Greyjoy and done something similar to a different Lannister player so he had no excuse to play that terrible. He knew how bad it could get. He of course, claimed he was tired. Regardless he got aggressive and all his stool got pushed in.

Round 3 - Re-supply / Clash / Wildling attack
Re-supply helped Greyjoy & Stark.

So as Baratheon I had been grabbing tokens to begin the game. Greyjoy had paid two on the Damphair card and left 1 behind on Greywater Watch. Stark hadn't consolidated and had left 2 behind while grabbing barrels. Lannister had left 1 on Stoney Sept (bad idea in my opinion). Prior to the Clash, Lannister Stark and Baratheon all decided to work to prevent an early Greyjoy victory. Baratheon support and protect Harrenhal for Lannister. Stark take Flint's Fingers.

Clash (Throne) I throw it. Bid nothing. Lannister bids nothing. Stark bids nothing. Greyjoy bids 1. I put myself last on the Iron Throne (maximize benefit of Stannis card). Greyjoy wins Throne.

Clash (Fiefdom) I bid just high enough to beat Lannister. Stark bid 1 to beat out Greyjoy. Baratheon wins Fiefdom.

Clash (Raven) I bid just high enough to beat Stark by 1 and leave myself a single PT. Everyone else bids their remaing tokens trying to get atleast 1 star. Baratheon wins Raven.

So I got last on Throne and first on the other two tracks. Big win. Then we get to the Wildlings. Knowing that everyone is out of tokens and that I still had one left, I was sure we'd lose but that I wouldn't be lowest bidder. Of course we lose and Greyjoy decides Stark is lowest bidder (Stark had openly agreed to attack Greyjoy and was next highest on the Victory track). Stark lost his highest card, Eddard Stark. We all discarded one other card (Melisandre for Baratheon).

Light bulb goes off. I have a 5, the Sword and Stark doesn't have Eddard Stark but he does have Roose Bolton. Good thing I can change that.

Round 3 planning / combat. So Stark has managed to put 3 ships in the Narrow Sea (always a smart move) and I happen to have just 1 boat in Shipbreaker Bay. Using the Raven I swap out my defense (in case he attacked) to a march -1 and attacked his boats. Confused he played Blackfish. I played Patchface. He won, I retreated. I discarded Roose Bolton. He mad. That 3 player alliance. Burned in flames. in less than 5 minutes. I love this game. With Lannister neutred I took an uncontested Reach and Crackclaw. End the round mustering with the Special muster 2 boats into Shipbreaker Bay.

Round 4. Support Lannister from the on going Greyjoy onslaught. With Stark now distracted by Baratheon, Greyjoy could continue focusing most of his efforts South. Not great for me but I had enough troops to save Lannister, if I wanted. March my boats into the Narrow Sea. With the Sword, tie break and a plus 1 march battle was an easy win. He played Robb and I played Briene. He lost 1 guy and retreated to the Shivering Sea. He had the option to move to the port but chose not to. Move a footman to Mountains for barrel. Special mustered my final boat into Shipbreaker Bay and upgraded 1 of the two footman to a Seige.

Round 5. Back stabbing at its finest. Seige to the Eyrie supported (plus one) by a footman that I'd sent early to Mountains for the barrel. Narrow Sea boats (Baratheon) finish off Shivering Sea boats (Stark) with nowhere to retreat, they dead like omg dead. Using my final move I attack Harrenhal. This was dirty because I told Lannister what orders he should play. I had him play a raid in case the nearby Greyjoys would support the Greyjoys attacking from Riverrun. Of course I also said this loud enough for Greyjoy to know that supports would be a bad idea so he played his own Special raid to remove the Lannister defense. I played a Raid on the Reach to remove the nearby Lannister support. I guess they though the March plus 1 would go across my boat bridge and attack the Starks. Nope wound up having a huge numbers advantage and completely dominated Harrenhal.

Round 5 Victory Track:
Baratheon: (5) Dragonstone, King's Landing, Crackclaw Point, The Reach and Harrenhal.
Greyjoy: (4) Pyke, Seagard, Riverrun and Lannisport ... Flint's Fingers had become like a demilitarized zone between Greyjoy and Stark. Either could have taken it but didn't want the drama that'd followed.
Stark: (3) Winterfell, White Harbor and Moat Cailin
Lannister (0) Just a single knight on Black Water Bay

Round 6. Muster.
Baratheon objectives. Defend the Reach & Harrenhal. Take 2 of the 3 Stark territories. Now I think Lannister and Greyjoy made a mistake here, they decided to go for Harrenhal. Which was closer and they could concentrate more troops on it. However the Reach didn't have as much to defend with PLUS in order to win I would have to move my guy in Kingswood to Dragonstone to double march north for the numbers to work so the Reach would have gotten zero support (assuming they would raid King's Landing). After revealing orders and seeing no attack planned on the Reach and just the mega attack on Harrenhal I switched out a raid for a support and evened out the numbers a little. They went first and attacked Harrenhal (I had 2 cards left, Stannis and Davos). They thought I'd play Davos and use the sword because I needed Stannis to beat the Starks. Nope played Stannis and won on tie breaker and kept the Sword. Then I moved footman from Kingswood to Dragonstone where I had mustered a new siege. Stark had no moves all defense. Lannister had just used his only attack on Harrenhal (they should have let Greyjoy attack and made me raid the Lannister support and it might have been different although Lannister played Tywin and Greyjoy only had Victarion so maybe not). Greyjoy took Flint's Fingers knowing the game was getting close to being over.

So Stark thought I'd attack Moat Cailin and White Harbor. He played defenses there and a support on Winterfell. Well I raided the Winterfell Support from the Shivering Sea which gave me an easier attack on Moat Cailin but now a better number crunch attack on Winterfell (footman plus garrison) vs White Harbor (two knights) ... I had a plus 4 attack (Siege at plus 0 march) and a plus 6 attack (Siege and footman at plus 1 march). Having already played Stannis I knew my first attack with be a 3 with Davos, so I used the plus 6 attack to crush Winterfell, no matter what he played I'd win. I got my hand back and played Stannis to attack Moat Cailin with the Sword best he could do is tie me and I won the tie break.

So all in all the lucky parts were:
Greyjoy making my neighbors my allies for me
Clash timing
Wildling victory, Greyjoy making Stark lowest bidder over Lannister
Wilding card removing Eddard Stark
Only 1 muster early and the last one late helped me more than anyone.
Being able to play a plus 5 Stannis twice on the final round

^ All the above are like the perfect scenarios for House Baratheon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you had a good 4 player game! Barath seems to get the better of 4p games most of the time though... I believe it is possible for them to rush a win in the first few turns, though our games have been more prolonged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleRuck wrote:
Regardless he got aggressive and all his stool got pushed in.

Please explain this to me ... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruck Ness
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Tekar wrote:
UncleRuck wrote:
Regardless he got aggressive and all his stool got pushed in.

Please explain this to me ... wow

Lannister got his butt kicked for being aggressive.

To the other poster, Stark usually wins our 4 player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.