Subject: Canada Day Math Trade - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's been a few months since the last math trade and I've received a few requests to run another one, so here we go again. He's your perfect opportunity to try and trade away all your games that are sitting there collecting dust.

Please make sure to read through all the rules and pay attention to all posted dates/times.

For anyone new to Math Trades be sure to check out the following thread for a video tutorial on math trades.

Math Trade Video Tutorials

Note: You MUST have a Canadian mailing address to participate in this Math Trade.

Trade Geeklist: Canada Day Math Trade

Request GeekList: Canada Day Math Trade - Request List

Submissions Dates/Times:

Posting Games: Saturday June 29th (4:00 PM EDT) to Sunday July 7th (10:00 PM EDT)

Want List Submissions: Sunday July 7th (10:00 PM EDT) to Tuesday July 9th (11:00 PM EDT)

Results posted shortly thereafter.

Rules (Please read carefully):

1. Board Games, RPG's, Video Games and items outside the scope of BGG are all permitted.

2. There is a limit of one (1) Gift Certificate and one (1) Geek Gold entry per person. Gift Certificate and GeekGold arbitrage are NOT allowed. Neither are cash offerings.

3. Non-game entries must be added using "Outside the Scope of BGG" (Game ID 23953). Make sure to use the +altname+ brief description -altname- format in the description of your item for it to properly show up in the OLWLG.

4. You must describe the condition of your games as accurately as possible. This includes both the box and it's contents.

5. You must clearly state the editions and languages of all games posted. Do not just state "edition as posted", as pictures do not show up in the OLWLG.

6. Shipping - You shall be required to cover full shipping to any location within Canada.

7. Do NOT delete any entries after they have been submitted. Just include a blank wantlist for that particular item instead.

8. Please do NOT include links to any other games (or items) in your entries, so that they are not misleadingly displayed as sweetners in the OLWLG.

9. Use of the On-Line Want List Generator (OLWLG) is required for submissions. Refer to the following document for help:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

10. If you have been reported as a bad trader, do NOT try to participate. Any entries made will be removed.

11. Any other questions or issues, just ask.

Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 (with duplicate protection) SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=1000

%Options%
Deadline-Offers: Sunday, July 7th, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Deadline-Wants: Tuesday, July 9th, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
%End%

Good luck and happy trading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Results (OLWLG) = http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/trades-summary.cgi?listid=...

Results (TXT) = http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/159064-results-official.tx...

Wants = http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/159064-officialwants.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
# MISSING 28 WANTS (4.8%) FROM 7 USER(s) (8.4%):
# grinspy (10)
# linkmaster94 (1)
# Lowengrin (5)
# mgmgmg (2)
# slinkydink (1)
# tikitack (2)
# tooni3 (7)

Num trades = 120 of 555 items (21.6%)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JA
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my first math trade, one question so far.

If I am required to submit my games on the OLWLG, do I also need to post it in the geeklist? Or is the geeklist just a way for people to peruse availability in a nicer visual format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the other way around, actually. The OLWLG was created to parse the geeklists and preset the games in a more simple format. People would add games to the geeklist, and the OLWLG would periodically parse the list. At some point, the ability to add games directly to the geeklist via the OLWLG was added for convenience.

To answer your question, use either the geeklist or the OLWLG to add your games, but not both. If you add your games via the geeklist, the OLWLG will detect them and add them there as well. You will then submit your wants using the OLWLG when it comes time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just beat me to this. We're going to be away for a bit over the weekend, and, if someone hadn't started a Canada trade by the time we got back, I was going to.

I'll get my stuff listed once it shows up in the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yup, that's pretty much it. You can add your games using either the OLWLG or straight from the geeklist. For your wantlist you have to use the OLWLG, there's no other way around it.

Since this is your first math trade I highly recommend watching the math trade tutorials linked in the header of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question about math trade etiquette: is it acceptable to list items you would only be willing to trade locally (with this explicitly stated in the comments) or does this cause too much grief on the administrative side of things? Is there a way around thisor is it as simple as "if you don't want to ship it across the country don't list it"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't really control who gets your item, so I think "if you don't want to ship it, don't list it" is the best policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
csaman wrote:
Question about math trade etiquette: is it acceptable to list items you would only be willing to trade locally (with this explicitly stated in the comments) or does this cause too much grief on the administrative side of things? Is there a way around thisor is it as simple as "if you don't want to ship it across the country don't list it"?

If you're not willing to ship ANYWHERE in Canada, don't participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
csaman wrote:

If you're not willing to ship ANYWHERE in Canada, don't participate.

You could also run or have someone run a local NO SHIP math trade for your city. We've had a couple of successful ones this year in Calgary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Salutations,

I read the rules, and as I understand them there are two conditions for participating in this math trade with respect to shipping:

a) All participants (recipients) must have a Canadian shipping address; and,

b) All participants (senders) must be willing to cover the full shipping cost to anywhere in Canada.

As I read the above two rules, all recipients must have Canadian addresses to which I must be willing to ship for free. No problem with this.

But, say, someone has a Canadian address and a UK address. They'd accept the game at the Canadian address, and I'd ship there for free. But the recipient would rather I ship to their UK address (more convenient, studying overseas, whatever the case may be). I don't see anything in the MT rules (or my read of the 'spirit' of the rules) that would prevent this.

After getting a very polite and considerate geekmail on the subject, however, apparently my view is not unanimously shared amongst MT participants. So I thought I should clarify: would I be allowed to ship, to us the above example, to the UK address if so requested? (This would not, of course, discharge me of my obligation to ship to their Canadian address for free, and I could just insist on shipping to the Canadian address. But I like being nice, and have previously had other senders foreign and domestic display flexibility beyond what they were required to do, and think that's the right thing to do.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You would be under zero obligation to ship to a non-Canadian address. But if you were willing to spend the $60-80 to ship a game to the UK that's totally up to you.

Basically what it comes down to is that this is a math trade for Canadian users and at the end of the trade no one should be shocked or disappointed or whatever that they have to now pay additional shipping fees over and above domestic rates.

If someone doesn't have a Canadian shipping address they shouldn't be participating in this math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Way
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Awesome! thanks for clarifying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Cannibal Ox!

Quote:
2. There is a limit of one (1) Gift Certificate and one (1) Geek Gold entry per person.

Can you confirm whether a single gift certificate Geeklist entry, with code telling OLWLG there are multiple copies of this certificate, is OK? The way I read the above, this should be fine, but there was some confusion at the end of the last math trade about this and there wasn't a definitive conclusion.

I actually will likely not even post GCs this time around -- I can actually trade GAMES this time! -- but wanted it clear for the future.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
booned wrote:
Hello Cannibal Ox!

Quote:
2. There is a limit of one (1) Gift Certificate and one (1) Geek Gold entry per person.

Can you confirm whether a single gift certificate Geeklist entry, with code telling OLWLG there are multiple copies of this certificate, is OK? The way I read the above, this should be fine, but there was some confusion at the end of the last math trade about this and there wasn't a definitive conclusion.

I actually will likely not even post GCs this time around -- I can actually trade GAMES this time! -- but wanted it clear for the future.

Thanks!

Since the rules are already written and the trade is in progress we can allow the OLWLG %copies% functionality.

Good luck in the trade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JA
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I remove games I have posted? A friend of mine just bought Taj Mahal from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
How do I remove games I have posted? A friend of mine just bought Taj Mahal from me.

Edit the entry, change the item to "Outside the Scope of BGG", and put the text "+altname+ Item Removed -altname-" in the description.

Most importantly, just don't put anything on the want list for that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
iklinck wrote:
familygaming wrote:

Edit the entry, change the item to "Outside the Scope of BGG", and put the text "+altname+ Item Removed -altname-" in the description.

Most importantly, just don't put anything on the want list for that game.

What he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
booned wrote:
Hello Cannibal Ox!

Quote:

Thanks!

Since the rules are already written and the trade is in progress we can allow the OLWLG %copies% functionality.

Good luck in the trade!

Is this the correct way to do this?:

%Options% Copies: 3 %End%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SD40 wrote:
Cannibal Ox wrote:
booned wrote:
Hello Cannibal Ox!

Quote:

Thanks!

Good luck in the trade!

Yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
SD40 wrote:

Yup.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vast Aire
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
With 3 days left to add games, we've tapered off to 340 items. Hopefully some of the missing math trade regulars show up before the deadline.

If there's anyone you know that doesn't know about this math trade, get the word out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannibal Ox wrote:
With 3 days left to add games, we've tapered off to 340 items. Hopefully some of the missing math trade regulars show up before the deadline.

If there's anyone you know that doesn't know about this math trade, get the word out!

There's almost always a flurry of late additions. Hope that holds true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a day to go, I've noted a few friends, so we'll see if we can get a few more items in yet.

Aside from that, it's up in the air if and how my stuff will trade, so I just want to say that if anyone is interested in Virgin Queen or Andean Abyss, I'm happy to talk offers after this if I still have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |