GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,889 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Dungeon Heroes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo play - "Reveal all Dungeon Tiles previously occupied..." rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reveal all Dungeon Tiles previously occupied by Monster Figures"

Are these the tiles the monsters were covering during the last dungeon turn? I feel this could be hard to keep track of since there isn't an indicator where they were before.

Thanks,

Ben
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ben,

Yes, the Monsters covering tiles during the last turn.

There really isn't any tracking because once the Monsters have moved you can see which tiles they were on because those tiles will still be un-revealed even though you are past that row in dungeon turns. So you would just catch up the dungeon by flipping those tiles over.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh now I see. That makes sense. You can't reveal a tile if a monster is on it. Otherwise you could have a point where you have two monsters on 1 tile.

Thanks Michael!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudd
United States
California
flag msg tools
On the other hand, if a square is empty not because a monster was on it, but because the Rogue (or character with the lock picks) already removed the trap that was on it, then you could end up accidentally double-booking a square.

Or, what if you have a line of monsters moving across the board, and a given square never ends up "unoccupied" until after the 8th or later turn? In the rules-as-written, that square would never receive a tile.

I think it makes more sense to put a face-down tile on the map, if a monster is occupying a square that is supposed to have a tile placed that turn (only in the solo game). Then, in all subsequent turns (including turn 8 or later), you reveal all face-down tiles that don't currently have a monster on them.

That removes any chance that you will double-book a square that has already had a trap removed ... as well as being sure all squares eventually have a tile placed on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. In SOLO play all 36 tiles are randomized and placed down on all 36 squares before the game begins. You are not putting them down during play, you are revealing them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for posting John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rudd
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ah, I only skimmed the solo rules (I had just read the main rules a dozen or so times, looking for the things in my other set of questions), so I missed the part where they are placed first. I probably skipped ahead to the "Rules Variants" section since the "Preparation" section looked a lot like the last paragraph of the "Preparation" section in the main rules. I assumed it was "place each row on the same turn that you reveal it" (which would be a small variation of the way it's done in the main rules, where you place 4 at a time in any placement; by skipping that one section I thought it meant place 6 at a time, row by row).

What you're saying makes a lot more sense, and yeah, it's right there on the sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the setup paragraphs are similar so that is an easy oversight. Solo play has proven to be very challenging. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it if you get a chance to give it a whirl.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Stubbings
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
Yeah, the setup paragraphs are similar so that is an easy oversight. Solo play has proven to be very challenging. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it if you get a chance to give it a whirl.

Thanks.

One thing that confused me was that the solo rules talk about revealing "rows" and the only picture of the board has the start and treasure spaces on the left and right.

It took 3 times solo and failing before I realized that the "rows" specified would actually be columns as illustrated. This suddenly made things much more reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A YouTube video of a solo play would be nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
I made one, but it has a rule error. See this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Chuff Ape (Keyforge)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question too. The solo rules say that the turn structure goes: Heroes-dungeon-heroes-dungeon. In the back, it gives you instruction on what to do on each of the dungeon's turns.

How would the first turn go for example?

Heroes do 4 actions, dungeon reveals 6 back tiles moves all the monsters, heroes take 4 more actions then dungeon does nothing.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly,

Check out this awesome fan made SOLO play video. It should really help clarify the process.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/31295/dungeon-heroes/dungeon-...

Let me know if you still have questions. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nicholson
United States
Leo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the rule error that was made in the video. Thanks for the video!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
blnichol wrote:

When a Warrior moves onto a square with a monster(s) the Warrior's attack(s) do NOT cost the Hero Player actions.

So, if the Warrior moves onto a square with a monster and a face-down tile, the monster is killed and the tile is revealed and addressed. If the tile is another monster then it is killed as well.

There's a part in the video that allows for the 2nd monster to stay until the next turn when the Warrior does the above example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Ronaldo wrote:
Heroes do 4 actions, dungeon reveals 6 back tiles moves all the monsters, heroes take 4 more actions then dungeon does nothing.

The heroes take 4 to 8 actions in a turn, but in one go. So a typical turn should be like:
Heroes do 4-8 actions, dungeon reveals tiles and moves monsters.

blnichol wrote:

At 1:31 you should see a comment. As Micheal explained; the warrior killed the goblin on this tile, but should have killed the Orc too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Chuff Ape (Keyforge)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tell you what confused me. The line that says that the turn goes: heroes, dungeon, heroes, dungeon. I thought this completed a whole turn. Reality is, each of those are an individual turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.