Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Hi guys,

I just moved and am in the market for a new gaming table. The issue is that I don't know what kind or size of table I need - I figure this may be a good place to check!

We do play games like Eclipse and Mage Knight on occasion, so size is important. I am also still just a student, so budget is fairly important too.

Anyone know of any relatively cheap, good-sized enough gaming tables?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Caldwell
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't own it yet, but we have been checking out the Bjursta line at Ikea. We like the idea of it because it's easy to make it big enough for board games, but can still collapse it down to a more manageable size for our tiny apartment. Plus the leaves store right in the table! Only drawback is maybe it's not as wide as we would like.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70116262/

Am interested in what other people suggest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I think witches are sexy *blush*
Paul G wrote:
Anyone know of any relatively cheap, good-sized enough gaming tables?
A good size is smaller than the room you'll be putting the table in. Only you seem to have forgotten to tell us that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Assume no size limit, as I don't have the actual measurements of the new room but know that it's definitely large enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm partial to conference tables. I got the idea attending a meeting at work. Everyone had papers spread all over the place and there was still unused room in the center.

If you search around, you can find used conference tables pretty cheaply and in a great variety of widths and lengths. Plus, conference tables tend to be much less expensive than dining room tables and have greater table space than even very large folding tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R J
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a cheap folding table, Walmart has some center folding 6 foot tables. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-6-Foot-Long-Center-Fold-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Craigslist. People often give away perfectly good tables or sell them very cheaply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my student days, I made a gaming table. Lived in an apartment, wanted an awesome gaming table that was cheap and I could fold away for storage.

4'x6' MDF board, have them cut it at the hardware store on their sheet cutter. two trestle legs from Ikea. Go to a fabric store and buy some cheap vehicle upholstery or vinyl covering. If you want to go fancy, you can put padding underneath (which is awesome for card games where you want the teensiest bit of give to the table surface so you can grab the cards more easily. Staple it on with upholstery staples (can guy an upholstery staple gun at the hardware store for 5 bucks.

Total cost at the time was about $50. Stores away flat in the closet.

... and I still use it to this day as my main gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BodhiWolff wrote:
In my student days, I made a gaming table. Lived in an apartment, wanted an awesome gaming table that was cheap and I could fold away for storage.

4'x6' MDF board, have them cut it at the hardware store on their sheet cutter. two trestle legs from Ikea. Go to a fabric store and buy some cheap vehicle upholstery or vinyl covering. If you want to go fancy, you can put padding underneath (which is awesome for card games where you want the teensiest bit of give to the table surface so you can grab the cards more easily. Staple it on with upholstery staples (can guy an upholstery staple gun at the hardware store for 5 bucks.

Total cost at the time was about $50. Stores away flat in the closet.

... and I still use it to this day as my main gaming table.
How about a pic of your handy work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitchen tables!

Craigslist, online garage sale sites, second hand stores, garage sales. Check them all.

I have 2 tables in my basement that were formerly serving as kitchen tables for people. They are both large and have expansion 'leafs' so you can fit the table to the game. They are larger than any folding table I've seen, and far more stable. Plus, I got both of them for cheaper than you'd find a decent folding table. Plus they came with chairs!

Both have fairly easy to remove legs/posts so it takes less than 5 minutes to assemble or tear them down, and when you take the legs off, they don't take much more room than a folding table anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls