GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Tide of Iron» Forums » General

Subject: some polls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
with an answer of how to do polls i figured i'd get some easy ones out of the way

Poll
did you buy fury of the bear
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
yes
57.1% 48
no
42.9% 36
Voters 84
This poll is now closed.   84 answers
Poll created by skinsfan
Closes: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:00 am

and the follow up to the above query
Poll
if no why did you not buy fury of the bear
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
price
30.0% 12
bad word of mouth
17.5% 7
other
52.5% 21
Voters 40
This poll is now closed.   40 answers
Poll created by skinsfan
Closes: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
silly me i forgot to ask the other folks who chose other reason to comment as to what they are as i'm curious with Stalingrad coming

Bill Jaffe
1A Games

still learning the polls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had ToI since it first came out and got the first expansion but haven't played it that much so saw no reason to to buy other expansions till I play what I got.

I still like the game just can't get anyone that excited about it and have lots and lots of games I still want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the time, I couldn't wait to get Fury and the Bear, but in no time, I got the impression that the effort was not put into developing Fury of the Bear because of all the simple mistakes and problems. I feel FFG really dropped the ball because Fury of the Bear could have easily been better if only they put the time in. As a result, I was going to be very cautious about getting the next expansion (if any), and would have looked into it thoroughly before picking it up.

Also, the Fury of the Bear expansion was supposed to be bigger, right? Because why the bigger box then? But component wise, it was the same as Days of the Fox and Normandy.

That being said, I would rather have a flawed Fury of the Bear than none at all since now we get Soviet units and snow boards. Especially if this expansion was going to be the last one; and a lot of us thought it would be. But it would have been wonderfully fantastic if the Fury of the Bear didn't have all the short comings that it has.

Under the new direction of 1A Games, I'm sure Tide of Iron will be pulled out of the depths of neglect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got everything but Fury.
Didn't buy it since I haven't even played the basic game yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Days of The Fox, Normandy and Designer Series Vol.1, everything except Fury of The Bear. The reason I haven't bought it is because of how awful the scenarios are as far as balance and overall quality. Plus I've heard all kind of wonkyness about the new specialties and what not.

Mostly it seems to be lots of little things that are badly implemented, for example, more Panther tanks? Why did they include them in Days of the Fox at all? They said for future expansions, yet when Normandy came out, more Panther tanks, and then Fury of the Bear and yet again, more Panther tanks. They should have included something else in place of the Panthers in Days of the Fox, maybe a Stuart or a Grant/Lee for Operation Torch scenarios plus the Stuart could fit into some 1944 scenarios. Fury of the Bear could have included something else as well.

I think that's one thing I'd like to see in future expansions is a few more scenarios in each that include things from other expansions. I agree each one should have at least half the scenarios being playable with just the base game and that expansion, but it would be nice if there were Normandy scenarios with Anti Tank Guns and or the Alpha,Bravo and Recon specialties for example and Fury of the Bear scenarios that would have utilized things like the Flak36 88MM (DOTF) and King Tiger (Normandy)

Long winded post but I hope everyone understands what I'm trying to explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
long winded is fine Hugh i want to know players opinions so we can try not to do things the players do not want.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, tonight I'm on a massive brain storm about TOI, thanks a lot I'll probably have insomnia thinking about TOI tonight now

One thing I think would be a great idea for future expansions is if they are theater based and build off one to the next. For example Stalingrad could build off Fury of The Bear. Further example, Days of the Fox could be considered the Base expansion for future Mediterranean addons, Fury of the Bear could be the base expansion for the Eastern front and Normandy could be the base for Western Europe 1944-45.

I figure base theater expansion would include things like infantry units and operation cards, strategy decks, map boards and the things we are all used to. Future expansions that require the main game plus a base theater expansion could build further and also be a little less expensive (to purchase for the end buyer but also to produce win/win).

For example imagine a Battle of the Bulge mini expansion. Requires Tide of Iron base game + Normandy Expansion (the base building block for western fron 44-45) it wouldn't require more German or American Infantry nor any of the tanks and vehicles included in Normandy or the base game. Basically all you'd need is a new scenario book, which would include a page or so including any rules for new things added like possible new specialties or new terrain type overlays. It might include a few new tanks and possibly some new snow boards but no new infantry or repeat tanks (see my Panther rant in other read )

Other possibilities include things like A Bridge to far, once again requires TOI+Normandy. Includes new scenario book, maybe like 2 to 4 new map boards (Arnhem bridge, wide rivers) maybe some new cards.

I see the major advantages being that not every expansion has to include more panthers. There are some areas where there might be duplicates, Panthers in Fury of the Bear for example which would be the East Front base, and British infantry in both DOTF (Mediterranean base)and Normandy (West Front 44-45 base)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would like to be able to buy more German figures, without buying another base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
Lack of good scenarios and no faq. A faq could have fixed a lot of things. Ive bought it However cuz I love the game system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis we are looking into that currently

Bill Jaffe
1A Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmb
I JUST bought ToI and haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannibal Lecter
Croatia
Split
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't buy it "because other"..and that other is poor availability in my country (probably not anyone's fault); but if it wasn't for that, it would be the price.

On the other hand, I haven't even played everything I have so far (normandy, DotF and designer), so..I wonder if I would buy it anyway, except for "having the entire collection"..

But if you guys make (many!) more DS books which will enable me to utilize what I have right now, I'd buy the shite out of them. cool I think more scenario books is what you should aim for..ToI is a great system, and while expansions are nice, tons of scenarios would be much more compelling; I think even for new players who don't have the game yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schu Bo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess several reasons:

- talk of poor scenario's
- price
- and still have a lot of other scenario's to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't buy FotB because my ToI buddies have moved and other games have taken up the time that I used to play ToI in. I still love the game, just don't have the time to play it at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
I got everything but Fury.
Didn't buy it since I haven't even played the basic game yet.

I've got everything except Fury of the bear too. The price jump didn't warrant the amount of play time it would get for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Siegel
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the pdf rules that FFG put up ahead of its release. I did think some mechanics--tank shells and sabotage specialization/deck especially--felt tacked on as opposed to developed. FFG's marketing and support for the entire line had plummeted post-Normandy expansion (or seemed to to me). I felt skeptical of FFG and, although I had purchased every release up until then, decided to pass on FotB until it was on sale.

Also, quite a bit of time passed between the Normandy release and FotB that I was busy playing other games. And, again, the lack of updating their scenario generator that Mike Zebowski (sp?) created with post-base game sets. That scenario generator helped keep the game alive and rival Memoir '44.

(edit: grammar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Willi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I also have everything, bar fury, although I put price, its more that it represented poor value, recycled mini, poor scenarios and lack of support from FFG. just didn't seem worth the asking price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
7times7is49 wrote:
I enjoyed the pdf rules that FFG put up ahead of its release. I did think some mechanics--tank shells and sabotage specialization/deck especially--felt tacked on as opposed to developed. FFG's marketing and support for the entire line had plummeted post-Normandy expansion (or seemed to to me). I felt skeptical of FFG and, although I had purchased every release up until then, decided to pass on FotB until it was on sale.

Also, quite a bit of time passed between the Normandy release and FotB that I was busy playing other games. And, again, the lack of updating their scenario generator that Mike Zebowski (sp?) created with post-base game sets. That scenario generator helped keep the game alive and rival Memoir '44.

(edit: grammar)

I made the scenario called 'Shootout at Cecina' long ago using that editor. An updated editor would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't buy Fury of the Bear because although I like ToI, I haven't been able to get it on the table often - I'd only buy expansions after I've played the base game enough and want something more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Gaer
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it all...but have only played some of the game but all the while I figured it will take years to play the series out so I bought it anyway. Someday I'll play it all. I think a scenario editor would be great because that's what keeps us all busy in between releases and deep number of scenarios helped to keep the TOI community alive and kicking.

What about selling individual map boards, individual soldiers (I bought a few that were available online just in case I'd never see them again), mini-packs with a couple of scenarios and a board, extra vehicles to be bought individually, cardstock tuckboxes for the card decks, a combined rules book for easy reference. I think all of these things would be of interest and the mini-packs could be prepaid.

I'm as rabid about this game as I was with the original Squad Leader back in the day so I'll continue to buy and I look forward to TOI v.2. I think there are things to learn from how ASL has been both marketed and has survived all these years regardless of the fact that ASL is the so complex and completely out of the mainstream.

I'm excited that A1 is here and taking TOI to another level of fun. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James River
United States
High Desert
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought everything except fury of the bear. I did not get it because I have plenty of TOI to keep me busy, now, without buying anything new. If FoTB had a lower price tag, I would have bought it for the Russian pieces and maps. The new rules don't interest me. I feel the game rules are great for the scenarios that are available. I am still very much interested in buying more TOI, and I am very happy to see 1A games making more TOI. I am hoping for more scenarios, historically based, that use what maps and pieces I have. Others have mentioned an official point system, so that teams can just through down some maps and select "100 pts" of army and go at it. Although it would not be historically based, I think it is missing from the possibilities that exist. Mostly, I am interested in the Pacific theater. I hope TOI can move in that direction. Although TOI is focused on small areas of the war, and does a perfect job in that respect, I think it would be cool if they added other aspects of combat with the Pacific Theater, like the naval combat; but in truth, this would be a different game altogether =( Knowing how much you guys at 1A games are interested and love the game, I am sure to like what ever direction you choose to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James for that info
yeah the Pacific seems to intrigue everyone soon i'm going to run a poll to find out a bit more info about folks interests in that theater.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point based but with OOBs that are at least thematically correct would be cool for skirmishes. You know some more campaigns would be awesome too, my best friend and I played the Normandy campaign, me as the 29th and him as the Germans and really enjoyed it. Would be cool to get some more use out of those experience tokens in the Normandy expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skinsfan wrote:
Thanks James for that info
yeah the Pacific seems to intrigue everyone soon i'm going to run a poll to find out a bit more info about folks interests in that theater.

Bill Jaffe
1A Games

Not everyone Bill. laugh

But I'm sure it would be popular

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.