A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played a three player game using the suggested starting set up. It fell absolutely flat. We never had any food tension and it was simply a race to 13 clans. I must be doing something wrong. There was no game here.
Anyone want to tell me the most likely rule I am messing up? When you feed your clans is it one piece of food (i.e. a berry) or is it really 1 food value per clan (a berry feeds two clans)? You do hunt before you feed, right? When you discard rotten food it is 1/3 of the equivalent value of food, not actual pieces, right? I must be messing something up in the food area. Once you get fire it seems like pretty smooth sailing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Food, in general, is rather abundant. The answer is to try to push the game tempo. If you ever have too much food, it's because you didn't expand fast enough. Someone who pushed the envelope a bit more will steamroll you or else come very close but die trying. The game seems to only really work at this pace. Also, it seems pretty clear 3 is too few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
Also, it seems pretty clear 3 is too few.

This.

I tried it for the first time tonight. It was pretty much autopilot to populate as quickly as possible. All three players got to 13 population on the same turn. Two of us had 1 food left, but the other guy had a higher numbered tech card. So he won on the second tiebreaker.

EDIT: Nevermind. I looked at the rules myself, and I realize now that the people who taught me the game deeply misunderstood some important details. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
Also, it seems pretty clear 3 is too few.

This.

I tried it for the first time tonight. It was pretty much autopilot to populate as quickly as possible. All three players got to 13 population on the same turn. Two of us had 1 food left, but the other guy had a higher numbered tech card. So he won on the second tiebreaker.

EDIT: Nevermind. I looked at the rules myself, and I realize now that the people who taught me the game deeply misunderstood some important details. blush

I think a LOT of early reviews of this game were based on misconceptions. So that's quite a few negative points for the clarity of the rules? But this game is in my opinion quite a bit better than its ratings (especially in comparison to daddy PG) would suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree. The competition in PG: TFS is much more subtle. Sure, you have competition for technologies, but the competition for space is deeper than vanilla Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.