Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm struggling a bit with sniper line of sight at 4 or 5 spaces away.

I found this helpful document on the M'44 website: http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/editor/view/?id=1197...

Two questions about it:

1. I want to double check is that this is not an official document that's been checked by the game designer or publisher. Does this all look correct?

2. In the case of targeting the minefield above-and-to-the-left of Target 4, what if there was a forest in one but not both of the two hexes below the shooter (i.e. below-left or below-right) -- would there still be line of sight to that minefield? I think the answer is: yes if the forest is in the hex below-left of the shooter, but no if it's in the hex bottom-right of the shooter. Is that correct?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Correct, this is an unofficial document as stated in the warning but does look correct.

2. Correct. If there is a forest hex bottom right of the sniper, the mine hex is NOT visible to the sniper. If the forest hex is bottom left of the sniper there IS line of sight.

LOS can be checked with a straightedge from center to center of the two hexes in question. If the line passes through any blocking terrain, to include troops, LOS is blocked. Keep in mind that there is no blocked LOS for artillery due to terrain or troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
I'm struggling a bit with sniper line of sight at 4 or 5 spaces away.

I found this helpful document on the M'44 website: http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/editor/view/?id=1197...

Two questions about it:

1. I want to double check is that this is not an official document that's been checked by the game designer or publisher. Does this all look correct?

It is not official though I don't know if it was ever looked at by Richard or DOW.

Quote:
2. In the case of targeting the minefield above-and-to-the-left of Target 4, what if there was a forest in one but not both of the two hexes below the shooter (i.e. below-left or below-right) -- would there still be line of sight to that minefield? I think the answer is: yes if the forest is in the hex below-left of the shooter, but no if it's in the hex bottom-right of the shooter. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Yes that is correct. The simplest way to do this is draw a line between the center point of the sniper and the center point of the target. If it is only blocked on one half, then LOS is till there. That is your forest hex in the lower-left of your example.

But when you add one to the lower-right, you block one half and then when you get to the other forest adjacent to the mine field, you block the other half. Now LOS is completely blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
But when you add one to the lower-right, you block one half and then when you get to the other forest adjacent to the mine field, you block the other half. Now LOS is completely blocked.

That's a helpful explanation of the logic, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.