Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have been looking through many of the Rules posts but i could not find the answer i was looking for.

Here goes:
Say i make a run and i encounter an ICE Barrier type, i do not have an Icebreaker for Barrier type.

1) Do i still have to suffer the subroutines even if i do not want to run in anymore?
2) Can i suffer the subroutines and if there is no End Run, can i take all the damage and access the server? Even if i do not have a Barrier Ice breaker?

Thanks! Maybe i missed the rules but i can't find such a scenario which i think must be very common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes and yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United States
flag msg tools
badge
1) Yes, you are forced to suffer the effects of all subroutines that you do not break. The only time you can choose to end a run is between pieces of ice or before you access the server.

2) Yes, if there are no "end run" subroutines then the run does not end, and you are free to to continue the run on the next piece of ice.

Having an icebreaker of an appropriate type is not necessary in order to make runs or suffer the effects of subroutines. The only thing an icebreaker is necessary for is breaking subroutines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok...i think i found a thread that answers. But man, this matching strength to break or not matching and just taking damage to bash through is quite mind boggling with the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow you guys are quick..i was still trudging through the forums and did not see your replies.

Thanks! I got it now...hope to have lots of fun with this game.

Thanks for all your quick replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
badge
But what is the question?
mbmbmbmbmb

Slightly different question: Do I suffer the subroutines of a piece of Ice, if it is rezzed and I bypassed it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric Bertolini
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greeek geek wrote:

Slightly different question: Do I suffer the subroutines of a piece of Ice, if it is rezzed and I bypassed it?
See the rules on bypass : http://netrunnercards.info/rules/#faq5 .

Quote:
When an effect allows the Runner to “bypass” a piece of ice, he immediately passes that ice and continues the run.
Since you pass the ice, its subroutines don't trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Buckley
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
Viny wrote:
Hi all,

Say i make a run and i encounter an ICE Barrier type, i do not have an Icebreaker for Barrier type.

1) Do i still have to suffer the subroutines even if i do not want to run in anymore?
I know it's been answered, but it's a "Yes" because you are "Encountering" that ICE. When you "approach" the ICE you have an opportunity to get out before encountering it - that's your "Do I flee or do I fight" phase, but once you've encountered the ICE that's you committed, you'll either:
a) break the ICE
b) suffer it's effects and move on to the next layer, (if it hasn't booted you out already),
b) be lucky and move on without the ICE being Rezed.

These are of course under normal circumstances, (without other card effects), but if you're "encountering" a piece of ICE that you can't deal with, then you 'must' bite the bullet and suffer the consequences, and hope they don't seriously hurt you.

As a note, just to make sure you know, you cannot jack out of a server when approaching the first layer of ICE.

Happy running

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksi Laitinen
Finland
flag msg tools
Also remember that when you are breaking subroutines, you can also decide to only break some of them and leave some unbroken. After you have done this, you suffer the effects of all the subroutines that you didn't break. After that, if none of the subroutines ended the run, you can continue the run, or jack out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls