Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I suppose this game will appeal to fans of both Chess and deck-building games. And I can imagine it will be of interest to Chess players who are interested in Chess variants. But what about players who are simply fans of deck-building games? Has anyone had any experience introducing this to gamers who had no particular interest in Chess?

I ask because I find the idea of this game very intriguing, but am uncertain whether or not anyone I know would want to play it. Does one need to be a Chess player to have fun with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! I am also curious...This game looks right up my alley, but I don't know if I can find anyone to play with me.
Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am the game's publisher, but neither a fan of Chess or Dominion. The former lacks "chaos" provided in games by randomizing elements, while the latter is a race game that goes to the biggest card optimization geek (who, obviously, I am not). I'm a more casual gamer, but prefer strategy and competition with elements of chaos.

I'm very pleased with FOR THE CROWN, a game in which the whole is VASTLY greater than the sum of its parts (i.e., Chess and Dominion). The purpose-driven deck building (this is NOT a race game, like Dominion) to build and support your army of old- and new-style chessmen is easy to learn and fantastically deep to play. I can usually teach the game to a new opponent in about 2-3 minutes (but then, I'm a teacher by profession, so your mileage may vary).

The depth of the game is abyss-mal, in the best possible way. Players begin with easy cards and pieces and gradually build up, exposing themselves to the new a card at a time, at a pace they can handle. Before you know it, the gray cells are heating up, plans are hatched, maneuvers are launched across the chessboard (where the game is won or lost -- the deck building is a SUPPORT element to the chess game, but adds considerable surprises to it!).

I've taught this game to everyone who will sit across the table from me to learn it, and it hasn't missed with them yet. It has an extremely high contagion level, as every new player seems to become a convert once they're exposed to the game. It's even fascinating to watch others play, and I've done that many a time, too!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Well, I am the game's publisher, but neither a fan of Chess or Dominion. The former lacks "chaos" provided in games by randomizing elements, while the latter is a race game that goes to the biggest card optimization geek (who, obviously, I am not). I'm a more casual gamer, but prefer strategy and competition with elements of chaos.

I'm very pleased with FOR THE CROWN, a game in which the whole is VASTLY greater than the sum of its parts (i.e., Chess and Dominion). The purpose-driven deck building (this is NOT a race game, like Dominion) to build and support your army of old- and new-style chessmen is easy to learn and fantastically deep to play. I can usually teach the game to a new opponent in about 2-3 minutes (but then, I'm a teacher by profession, so your mileage may vary).

The depth of the game is abyss-mal, in the best possible way. Players begin with easy cards and pieces and gradually build up, exposing themselves to the new a card at a time, at a pace they can handle. Before you know it, the gray cells are heating up, plans are hatched, maneuvers are launched across the chessboard (where the game is won or lost -- the deck building is a SUPPORT element to the chess game, but adds considerable surprises to it!).

I've taught this game to everyone who will sit across the table from me to learn it, and it hasn't missed with them yet. It has an extremely high contagion level, as every new player seems to become a convert once they're exposed to the game. It's even fascinating to watch others play, and I've done that many a time, too!

Alan Emrich
I was hoping to hear something like this, although of course I'd love to hear it from a player who isn't the game's publisher. Nevertheless, Alan, you've just pushed me a little closer to buying it. Anyone else want to give me a shove?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll echo Alan's sentiments, but I'm VPG's Business Manager, so that might not help. I will say that FtC is my favorite VPG game and that I have made at least a half dozen converts to it here in Las Vegas.

You might want to check out the Dice Tower's reviews of it for a good overview. Eric recently rated it his #1 hybrid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
> Nevertheless, Alan, you've just pushed me a little closer to buying it.

You will be very pleased if you acquire this game. My son (26, in the Air Force) just asked for it for his birthday, for cryin' out loud! Talk about making the old man happy.

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb