United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking
I just finished my first game with 7 doors.

Only after perusing the rules forum to make sure I'd played correctly (I had, except as explained hereafter) did I realize that my three identically colored consecutive cards don't have to have different symbols, but simply may not have adjacent identical symbols.

So I wasn't scoring doors except after playing all three types of symbol consecutively in the same color.

And I still scored 7 doors and had a keyed door as my last card (but lost it during a Nightmare—I had a 50% chance of the door coming out for a win).

Is it usually this easy to win the base game? I feel like I should move on to the expansions right away. But doing so on a second game seems early?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!
I play the game from the perspective that it is an entertaining diversion, like Klondike (patience). My win ratio for the base game is pretty high, but when I add the expansions in, it does lower that. Not by much, as the expansions add choices and additional powers as well as making things more tricky.

For example, you can play the first expansion - the one where you have to claim the doors in a certain order - and it does get trickier to do, but you are also given a 'spellbook' where you can spend your discards to help you out.

It's never going to be LotR-LCG-difficult but it is a fun little game to play to pass the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Is it usually this easy to win the base game? I feel like I should move on to the expansions right away. But doing so on a second game seems early?
I wouldn't attempt to derive a general pattern of easy winning from one play. Especially if you didn't actually win.

Sometimes it feels easy, sometimes not. I note that in my lost games, I almost always had 6 or 7 doors, so having 7 doors really isn't a "win" or "almost win" or whatever. The deciding factor is whether you get the 8th door.

But why not simply play a few more times and you'll see for yourself how it works for you? It's not a long game, after all.

PS: if you're asking to make sure you're not doing a rule wrong that made it too easy: one fairly common confusion apparently is thinking that (e.g.) playing red moon, red sun, red key, red moon would let you get 2 doors. But after the first 3 (moon, sun, key) those cards are "used up" for door purposes, so the sun and key can't be used as the first part of a following triple.

PPS: I have only played a few times with expansions, but I think I recall reading some posts that at least one of the expansions make the game easier to win, not harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking
Right, I checked specifically to make sure 4 cards didn't get me 2 doors.

The reason I wondered whether it might be too easy is because I had a 50% chance of winning on the last card while having played that I needed an identically colored group of 3 unique symbols to get a door. I can think of many times I could have got a door by playing Sun Moon Sun and didn't because I didn't realize I could have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Boston Celtics fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fanMicrobadge: What, me worry?Microbadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: I know 10+ Looney Pyramid games
Make sure you check out this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/781071/losing-and-loving...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micro mantis

Illinois
msg tools
the base game is pretty easy, with a few plays of the expansions they seem more difficult.

I play onirim when I need a relax and Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is too tense for that moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Microbadge: Meaty Game fanMicrobadge: Train GamerMicrobadge: My cat destroys games in progressMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: GameChat League - Mafia Division: "A mob is forming."
If you want the game to be extremely hard try playing where you need one of each symbol in the same color to search for a door rather than just a series of three and you can have two repeat symbols. (That is, you must have sun, moon, key and not moon, sun, moon, for example.)

That's how I misread the rules and it makes the game very, very hard. laugh

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls