Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Marvel Cinematic Universe fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fan
Heya

Im looking for a few card games to take away camping to occupy our evenings when the kids are asleep

Ideally they would

- not take up a lot of room in the box and minimal table space
- no be too expensive just incase the worse happens
- work for 2 players
- offer good replay-ability
- not come with little components likely to get lost (like say Jambo)
- be readable with a camp light

All,ideas most welcome

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
Microbadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: R.I.P. GeekdōMicrobadge: Golden CamelMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Werewolf D1 - running in the dark with a bag on your head

Try this list Games on a Narrow Boat, it's a very good geeklist which should help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Microbadge: I play with yellow!Microbadge: Viticulture fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Ladybug Lunch fanMicrobadge: On The Underground
Haggis - Excellent 2 player climbing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.Microbadge: Boston Bruins fanMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: "I work in a shoe store, I make less than minimum wage, and yet I'm not happy to be home."-AlMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Love Letter
Lords of Scotland
Onirim(can be played solo as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
Microbadge: Penguins of Madagascar fan - SkipperMicrobadge: Marnaudo's Game Reviews fanMicrobadge: Goa fanMicrobadge: William Faulkner fanMicrobadge: Time Team fan
My wife and I are not camping but we'll be traveling for the month of July.

We're taking SET and Battle Line.

You can leave the red pawns at home and use nine pennies.

Have a great trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Ra fanMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Tides of Madness fanMicrobadge: Amun-Re fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fan
I find Love Letter is not very good at all with 2. It really needs 4 to be any good.

Hanabi is an excellent cooperative game that works really well with 2. The theme is about building a fireworks display and you cannot see your own cards. A bulk of the game is about giving/receiving clues to the other player as you build the fireworks display together.

For Sale is a great one. The box says 3 to 6, but there are a couple of two player variants in the forums that are easy to implement and work very well. I have played this game as a 2 player many times and it works.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/313213/simple-2-player-varia...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/911399/adapting-the-for-soli...

The first variant is very simple to use. The second one involves a "robot" hand and is much more challenging.

Coloretto is a fun set collecting game that has 2 player rules now included.

Biblios is a great game. Amazon still has a copy or 2. But the game has a dice version also that is also really good: Scripts and Scribes: The Dice Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
Microbadge: I play with whatever color is still availableMicrobadge: CrossFitterMicrobadge: I love Europe!Microbadge: Caylus fanMicrobadge: Great Western Trail fan
- Archaeology: The Card Game
- Biblios
- The Battle for Hill 218
- Magnate
- Jaipur (IDK how convenient this is for camping, playing area could be a problem)

Please let us know what you went with once you've decided yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Swimming fanMicrobadge: Shipyard fanMicrobadge: Takenoko fanMicrobadge: Grand Austria Hotel fanMicrobadge: Castles of Mad King Ludwig fan
Fairy Land
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: HumanistMicrobadge: I love games with direct player interactionMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: I love games with a hidden traitorMicrobadge: God plays dice
Cribbage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scopa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Detroit Red Wings fanMicrobadge: Fountain pen enthusiastMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Family Member ServingMicrobadge: Um Reifenbreite fan
Citadels is great with two players. We keep a spare copy in our camping trailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Smokejumpers fanMicrobadge: Parent of One GirlMicrobadge: Manchester beeMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game Alone
+1 Haggis
+1 Battle Line

My wife and I have played a lot of two player card games. These two are the best and they meet your additional criteria.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 AD fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
Monopoly Deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Ski Utah! - The Greatest Snow on EarthMicrobadge: Tinners' Trail fanMicrobadge: SaltCon attendeeMicrobadge: Come late, stay really late.Microbadge: Raising Gamers
Suggest Some Ultra-Potable Games for a 10 Month Backpacking Trip with 3 Kids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Microbadge: I like learning games more than winning them!Microbadge: TraderMicrobadge: Type O Negative fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Manila fanMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Hansa Teutonica fanMicrobadge: My home is my castle
Its not really a card game but Hive pocket is a great durable two player game that takes up very little room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Follower of JesusMicrobadge: We're all mad about JonnaMicrobadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: Tenderness and kindness are manifestations of strength and resolutionsMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange Participant
Cribbage - You can keep score with paper & pencil.
Lost Cities
Archaeology The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mindclash Games fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Treefrog Line fanMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer loverMicrobadge: Splotter fan
Haggis!

I'm going back packing for a week and we're just bringing a deck of card. Can play Haggis or Crib, so that should be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2017 RPG Geek Play-by-Forum Initiative participantMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Peanuts fanMicrobadge: University of Alabama
Tien Zi Que
Fairy Tale - scales well from 2 to 5
+1 Court of the Medici
+1 Love Letter - while it's best with 3 or 4, we still find it enjoyable with 2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scavengers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
Wiesbaden
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
Microbadge: Uwe says...Microbadge: Morels fan - cook up some pointsMicrobadge: Parent of a Boy and a GirlMicrobadge: Battle Line fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
If your going camping in tthe woods etc there is only one game for it, Morels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Liouville
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I like the art in Glory to Rome just fine!Microbadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Party GamerMicrobadge: Copper Reviewer
+ 1 for Hanabi and Lost Cities

also have look at
Caesar & Cleopatra
Babel

Also i get a sense this might not be your cup of tea but in a similar situation I would bring BattleCON: War of Indines and Android: Netrunner (find a smaller box for the latter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Everingham
United States
Sheridan
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: MichiganMicrobadge: CLICK MICROBADGE to see what I have FOR SALEMicrobadge: Cognitive Science fanMicrobadge: Facebook userMicrobadge: Motorbiker
Slap the King.. 2 player memory & deduction game... Messege me with an address if your interested, I'll send you a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I think witches are sexy *blush*
Two decks of ordinary playing cards and a book of card game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Parent of Two GirlsMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Marvel Cinematic Universe fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fan
Thank you all so much for all the great ideas im looking for 2 or tjree and this gives a huge help much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |