Subject: The Father of Civilization (Sid Meier) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://kotaku.com/the-father-of-civilization-584568276

Reading this article, it is clear that liking his games growing up is a strong predictor of being a board gamer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great article! Thanks for posting it. Nice to know a little about the man who created so many hours of entertainment. He really changed the video game world and we have seen many of his ideas in modern board games. Merchants and Marauders is clearly based on Sid Meier's Pirates for example. Even his IP was bought by Fantasy Flight and then release SM Civilization The Board Game (Kevin Wilson's masterpiece IMO). I expect more of his games/game ideas to come to table top format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacrilege!

Now, whilst I LOVE Sid Meier's Civ, the original computer game of the early 1990s, and some of it's successors especially Civ II, Sid cannot be declared "The Father of Civilization". That title must surely belong to Francis Tresham, the design genius who gave us 18xx AND Civilization. Civilization was the first game to introduce the concept of a tech tree, a much used mechanic ever since in the history of both board and video games.

Avalon Hill's Bruce Shelley worked with Sid on the development of Railroad Tycoon and Civilization, and both 1830 and Avalon Hill's (ie Francis Tresham's) Civilization were inspirations for those games. I wouldn't suggest for a moment that anything was ripped off from Tresham by the way - that's not what I'm saying. Meier's games were brilliant and innovative.

Sid Meier is a giant of the video game industry, those 2 games mentioned were superb and original, and probably several he has done since. I take nothing away from Sid in that regard - I love the man.

But - if anyone is to be declared as "The Father of Civilization", then it has to be the one and only Francis Tresham!

EDIT: Change "the inspirations" to "inspirations" in light of the following post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
Avalon Hill's Bruce Shelley worked with Sid on the development of Railroad Tycoon and Civilization, and both 1830 and Avalon Hill's (ie Francis Tresham's) Civilization were the inspirations for those games.

They were inspirations, certainly, but I would not presume they were the only inspirations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
They were inspirations, certainly, but I would not presume they were the only inspirations.

I'll edit to correct that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.