18 Posts

Small World» Forums » General

Subject: Race and Power Banner Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Armindo Monteiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Small World fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride: Europe fanMicrobadge: Take what you can! Give nothing back!
I've made recently cards because I'm Portuguese and many of my friends don't really understand some english words. In order to turn our gaming more pleasing, I translated the rules and created cards with the rules. I would like to show them but, since they all have Smallworld based art, I don't know if I can.

Anyway, I will try to take a photo showing them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Magalhães
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may find some player aids in the small world files section.

http://boardgamegeek.com/files/thing/40692?sort=recent&langu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odnimra wrote:
I've made recently cards because I'm Portuguese and many of my friends don't really understand some english words. In order to turn our gaming more pleasing, I translated the rules and created cards with the rules. I would like to show them but, since they all have Smallworld based art, I don't know if I can.

Anyway, I will try to take a photo showing them...
It is great that you have done that.I am also creating cards in Brazilian Portuguese.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone would mind if you show them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

nerman8r wrote:
I don't think anyone would mind if you show them.
I have not decided a lot of things, but I was planning something like this

I ve almost finished "race" cards (I have a script that merge an csv with inkscape svg - not a big deal), and I will work on the abilities card soon. Slow and steady, slow and steady....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armindo Monteiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Small World fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride fanMicrobadge: Ticket to Ride: Europe fanMicrobadge: Take what you can! Give nothing back!
Well, player aids can help people if they don't mind going through an index of races and powers... I mean, it's time consuming.

The Portuguese aid cards are intended for Brasilian portuguese and can vary in some words and expressions, that can lead to some mis-conceptions of the rules. Don't get me wrong, I respect the work every one had in translating the rules. I myself didn't do it sooner because I'm a recent Smallworld owner.

Generally, what made me go into making cards was mainly because of these motives:

- Some of my friends struggle with english and always ask me about the rules. I don't mind explaining them but, after some games (and we play all night long sometimes) it gets really tiresome for me to be repeating myself over and over again;

- The race and power banners are somewhat hard to shuffle. I like the idea and love the art but I find that, after some time, they start getting worn around the edges. With cards I can save the original banners for later uses.

- Cards having the rulings printed on are easy to use and serve the same purposes as the banners. They can actually do a better job as you don't need to translate a player aid and print up to 5 or 6 copies of them. All I need is one print for each race and power and I'm done. People can read the rules as they are sorted out on the power/race combination column and easily consult them when they have the cards in front of them. Cards being double-sided can actually have rulings for in-decline races and powers printed on their backs and serve as reminders.

So, having justified myself, here are some photos I took of my cards. I will try to explain them. English readers (or any language that have adjectives before subjects) will notice that the cards are printed flipped. That's because, in Portuguese the adjectives go after the subjects.

Each card is 11,7cms (4.6inches) wide and 7,1cms(2.8 inches) high.

And now, without any more delay, the pictures:

Races cards. Each race's card has a different color tone on it's in-decline side. Imitating the Smallworld banners. As you can see, I made different color backrounds for Smallworld and Underground (for easy sorting).

Smallworld Powers cards. Top two are both side for normal powers, and bottom two for in-decline related cards - with rulings on the back side as reminders.

I'm really sorry about the photos... Didn't expect they'd come out this bad.

This photo may give a better idea.

(Sorry about the pictures... I don't know why they don't appear...)

OK. I uploaded the images to my gallery, so you all can check it out.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1707127/odnimra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are really nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
Lefty / Happily Married / Parent of 2 Girls / Christian / Yucata User
badge
Smack dat Ghoulie, Mr. Trolla!
Microbadge: Game TeacherMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: I play with white!Microbadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winnerMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
I know how very much work this is. You're doing a really nice job. The thought that you are putting into it is obvious. You are really adding something useful to the hobby. I hope you will consider sharing your files with us once you've got it all put together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armindo Monteiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
You might not have noticed, but I finished my work. Every single race and power in Smallworld, Cursed, Dames, Be Not Afraid and Smallworld Underground have their own card.

I did consider sharing with others. All my files are being saved and backed up. I'm also currently making an English version and a blank version for other languages. I'm just giving it some finishing touches, some alterations and I may upload the psd files in a matter of weeks.

Update: I've also included a Lost Tribes card for those who want to use them as a custom race. I made rulings for them as a bonus race that becomes available in mid-play. I'm still working around the rules but my goal is that they die out very fast, but give high bonuses.

I'm also working around a variant called Smallworld: Might and Magic, that deals with hero cards that give out bonuses and artifacts (unlike the "artifacts" variant on the forum) that give out bonus points. All with just cards, no extra tokens... =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armindo Monteiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
So, I just got authorization from Days of Wonder to share my files. I'll have to make some minor changes and will put them in the files section for upload.

Give me just a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Game TeacherMicrobadge: French Press Coffee drinkerMicrobadge: I play with white!Microbadge: Best Pimped Boardgame of the Month winnerMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my games
Really good of you to go that route.
Really nice of them to allow you to share.
Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too sad that I already made my version. That would have saved me a lot of time.

One more kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horace Darksaber
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word about this being put up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armindo Monteiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
ViolentNny wrote:
Any word about this being put up?
Yeah... Sorry about the delay. I got sick and took some time to recover. I'm picking it up and hope to have it done soon. Might have to put several files since the files are big.

Haven't forgot about this. Just running a little behind... Trying to work out making the files small enough to upload but good enough to print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Mack
United States
Menifee
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
What type of files are you making?
If they are PDF they should be fairly easy to condense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armindo Monteiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
I'm using PDF. It's easy to condense, if I choose to loose resolution. I've already downed the dpi's to 200 and can put up to 10 PDF's total (5 for english format languages, where the names go after the adjectives and verbs; and 5 for portuguese format languages, where the names go before the verbs and adjectives). I mean, that will make people do up to 5 downloads at least, to get all the cards...

I could upload the JPEG's, since they can be zipped and are a bit lighter... but it would give me at least 3 to 4 zip files for each version.

I'm trying to keep it practical for every one. Perhaps I'll use the jpeg's since many people don't have Photoshop and every one has at least Painter.

My problem is: would someone download six files for one collection of cards...? I mean, would they have a problem with it? Because 6 files is the least I can get at 200dpi. (Note that each file would have 5 to 6 Mb)

Update: I uploaded the first part of the files today. There will be a total of 6 files. But I guess I'll have to wait for approval to continue the uploads. This will take a while... but it's going. I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armindo Monteiro
Portugal
flag msg tools
Files are now available for download. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laos the Lurking
Germany
Würzburg
flag msg tools
Freund der analogen Unterhaltung ;)
badge
Tentacles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I adapted your idea of race and power cards for my private use (translated them to German). I'd like to share the cards. Can someone tell me where I can ask for permisson to load them up? (I used the artwork and texts from the German game and don't want to hurt the copyright when I'm making it public).

I've also integrated some of the custom races and powers I found here on BGG. If I want to upload them, I have to ask the creator of each race for permission, too, am I right?

Thanks for your advise.

Greetings

Laos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls