5 Posts

Citadels» Forums » Variants

Subject: King changing characters at the start of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sjoerd M
Netherlands
flag msg tools
For the Expansion I've thought of an extra dimension in gameplay.

Let the king decide which characters come into play.
For instance he can choose if the Diplomat or the Warlord should be in the play

Advantages:
- more variation in characters
- more strategy (especially for the king)

Disadvantages:
- the game will take more time to play
- inexperienced players are placed at a big disadvantage
- the king can receive a huge advantage in certain situations (though that could be undone because the king will become a more likelier target)

Variants on the variant:
* Show or don't show which characters have not been picked.
(If the characters that aren't played are not shown there's more mystery.
Note: Assasination/Bewitching/Thieving should be done by numbers. So if the Warlord gets assasinated, the Diplomat is also assasinated.)

* Some characters may not be in the game and can't be switched.
For instance no Queens in games with little players.

* Double characters?
I don't know how this would work in a balanced way, but having both witch and assasin for instance would really make gameplay wierd. But if you'd wish to play it that way, I'd suggest playing expansion chars before other chars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I've played a variant (which might already be mentioned elsewhere on BGG) which involves changing characters each turn, but in a manner which gives less power to a single character. You start with the eight standard characters in play (plus your choice of the Artist or Queen if playing with a large enough group). When everyone has chosen their characters, set aside the character which was rejected by everyone, so that you don't confuse it with the face-down character whom nobody had the chance to choose. At the end of the round, the character rejected by everyone is replaced with the numeric equivalent from those not in play.

Thus, whichever character everyone decides is "useless" is removed each round, and you get a slowly evolving set of characters. Occassionally you end up with the same two characters swapping back and forth, but usually not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd M
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Ah that variation would definately be better to a new group of players.
Really nice way to introduce new characters.

On a different note. I also found a variation on Bruno's site, which is somewhat similar to my idea. (Number 8, everybody gets to play)
http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=328&fich...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Id give that ability to the queen. The king is perfect as he is, the queen could use some punch. She's also the very last to play which makes her fitting to switch a char for the next game (easy to remember).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I am the State."
I was going to post a variant just like this, so I'm glad someone else has already approved it!

This is a 'variant of a variant' of #8 on Bruno's site; but I like to combine this power of the King to 'choose his subjects' with variant #7 ("Chinese") where he also decides whether to hand the characters to his right or to his left.

I like to call this combined variant 'Absolute Monarchy.'

The King should only decide the characters after randomly discarding one face-down and the requisite face-up cards (along with their numerical counterparts).

This makes the Crown quite a covetous item, as it should be; however, it is also a great risk for the assassin/witch.

EDIT: I like the ideas in this thread, so I've posted another variant of this variant which softens the power of the Crown considerably but boosts the Queen by involving her in the decision making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.