tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
yiatzi wrote:
Fight 6 rocks?

Is there mud?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yiatzi wrote:
Fight 6 rocks?
Fight 1 too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good ones here. Too bad for Dresden - I've argued before that he can punch above his weight class, but I think The Doctor is probably more than he can handle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Smeagol
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we have fight 6 with bikinis and oil *cough*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Some good ones here. Too bad for Dresden - I've argued before that he can punch above his weight class, but I think The Doctor is probably more than he can handle.
Agree, although Dresden has a boon: The doctor likely can't use the TARDIS or the sonic screwdriver due to Dresden's tech interference field?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yiatzi wrote:
The Hermione on that pic is not legal yet. Just sayin'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
Agree, although Dresden has a boon: The doctor likely can't use the TARDIS or the sonic screwdriver due to Dresden's tech interference field?

Possibly. Two things to take into account:

They are both very advanced technology - so possibly more susceptible to interference.

OTOH, given the nature of what the Doctor encounters regularly, it's possible they are shielded against various forms of interference and Dresden's style of magic could fall into that category.

With all of that, I'd say the Sonic Screwdriver is more likely to be taken out, the TARDIS less likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Post Bandit
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I like toast
mbmbmbmbmb
yiatzi wrote:
Fight 6

Katarina

vs.

Hermione Granger

Votes:

The interesting thing about this fight is that while I love league of legends, I'm gonna have to say that Kat loses this one, because her ability to teleport is matched and surpassed by Hermione's ability to apparate. Without that advantage she's just a girl with knives,and Hermione has all sorts of spells to counter her every skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

They are both very advanced technology - so possibly more susceptible to interference.

OTOH, given the nature of what the Doctor encounters regularly, it's possible they are shielded against various forms of interference and Dresden's style of magic could fall into that category.

With all of that, I'd say the Sonic Screwdriver is more likely to be taken out, the TARDIS less likely.

Thing about Dresden and the Doctor is that they both normally punch outside their weight class and win. It's an interesting matchup for sure.

The cool thing is there's definite grounds for them to battle. As Warden for the White Council, Dresden would be obligated to investigate and possibly prevent time travel, as the risk of doing damage to reality is too great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

Thing about Dresden and the Doctor is that they both normally punch outside their weight class and win. It's an interesting matchup for sure.

The cool thing is there's definite grounds for them to battle. As Warden for the White Council, Dresden would be obligated to investigate and possibly prevent time travel, as the risk of doing damage to reality is too great.
Doesn't the doctor sort of police time travel for the same reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
twomillionbucks wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
RedShark92 wrote:

Doesn't the doctor sort of police time travel for the same reason?

Sort of, yeah.

A big difference, though, is that Dresden is authorized to use deadly force to carry out his commission, while the Doctor has a rule against killing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the Doctor/Dresden fight happening a couple different ways:

1. We could say that the Doctor is a creature from outside the Dresdenverse. Well, the Dresden files has a word for beings like that- they're called Outsiders. As a Starborn, Dresden has particular power to defeat Outsiders, and in fact has defeated one of the most powerful and dangerous- He Who Walks Behind- on three occasions.

2. We could say that the Doctor's universe is in a region of the Nevernever, shaped by the collective thoughts of humanity. That happens too, in the Dresdenverse. However, in this case, Dresden being the pop-culture buff that he is, would know things like the fact that Time Lords are vulnerable to aspirin and be able to improvise a defense against him. Plus, I doubt the Doctor is as scary or powerful as someone like a Faery Queen (Dresden has killed two) or the Red King (Dresden killed him).

3. We could say that the Doctor has just dropped by the Dresdenverse in the normal course of things. As mentioned above, Dresden is authorized to use deadly force to prevent time travel and apprehend time travelers, while the Doctor avoids this. However, I think in this case the Doctor would realize the White Council is one of the good guys in this situation, trying to protect humanity from destruction of the timeline, and eventually leave. That would leave Dresden the victor.

tl;dr: Dresden has faced things like the Doctor before, whatever we may say his relationship to the Dresdenverse is, and come out on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
The Doctor isn't just going to leave. Again. The fighters are here to fight, for what ever reason they have to fight. The Doctor has dealt with people with power before. His reputation alone is enough to make those more powerful run away screaming into the night.

Why shouldn't we believe that Harry hears the Doctor's name, wets his pants, and crawls into the fetal position?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
Why shouldn't we believe that Harry hears the Doctor's name, wets his pants, and crawls into the fetal position?

The Doctor may legitimately win this but this is in no way consistent with Dresden's character. Giving up or just running away is not in his nature, even when he seems to be hopelessly outclassed.

This is one reason that he punches above his weight class: if he's outmatched so he's going to do everything he can to level the playing field or gain an advantage. This does not include giving up and running away.

Win or lose, Dresden's going to make a fight of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Smeagol
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
yiatzi wrote:
The Hermione on that pic is not legal yet. Just sayin'.

I had Emma Watson in mind as she is now obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.