Subject: Mortar Spotting Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
I was setting up a game the other evening, first one in a while, and the initial set up had a mortar squad available. I set him up in a clearing that was complete surrounded by woods. No LoS. The I realized that I had set him up based upon the mortar rules from Conflict of Heroes, well loosely.

The rules from CoH say that that each mortar has an abstracted set of spotters, so the squad can take LoS from any hex within a 2 hex radius of the actual unit. the range is measured from the actual unit, but the sighting is done from the abstracted spotters in a nearby hex. This would allow a mortar to be at the base of a hill while the spotter is up on the hill. allowing complete cover for the actual team.

I know that there were a list of variants printed in a C3i mag, but I don`t have it so I can`t really comment on any there. This may have been suggested before, but I haven`t seen it so I posted, if it has, I apologize. I haven`t playtested any of these either, just throwing it out there.
Plus, I regularly get rules wron, so I won`t be surprised if something I am suggesting is already in the core rules! I don`t think so but you never know!

1)A mortar squad could use any leader, as a spotter. spotter range could be:

a) the leader's command radius. This is not too much of a stretch, since the mortar could be activated within his radius.

b) a set range of 2 hex radius of the mortar, so as long as the leader is within 2 hexes of the firing mortar.

this is my favorite of the options.

2) Any unit could spot for the mortar, within a set radius of the mortar, 1 or 2.

3) a complete lifting of the mortar spotting rules from CoH, abstracting the spotter, so that any hex within a 2 hex radius of the firing mortar can be used to draw LoS to the target. This one I find is too powerful. In CoH, mortars generally cost a lot more to fire than other units, so although they are very flexible in their cover/attacking, their availability is somewhat limited.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
In CC Med, there are scout units that can spot for mortars. The firing solution is the me as for other ordinance except the range is taken from the scout. Hindrance applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The idea of mortar spotters is part of the rules for Combat Commander: Pacific which is available for download, so you can check those out if you wish. In general, the mortar spotter can activate mortars. When making the targeting roll, the range is from the mortar, but hindrance can be determined from the mortar spotter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
leroy43 wrote:
In CC Med, there are scout units that can spot for mortars. The firing solution is the (sa)me as for other ordinance except the range is taken from the scout. Hindrance applies.
Must have missed this, Roger. Care to point it out? Or did you mean CC:Pacific? But the range taken from the scout is new to me also, I thought it was range from the mortar, LOS from the "scout".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
In CC Med, there are scout units that can spot for mortars. The firing solution is the me as for other ordinance except the range is taken from the scout. Hindrance applies.
Just took a quick look through the CC:Med book, and I see the scenario specific ruel about the mortar spotting tied to a specific leader. I hadn't noticed it before.

I'm not sure I would actually want to use any of the things I suggested, just throwing it out for a discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
The idea of mortar spotters is part of the rules for Combat Commander: Pacific which is available for download, so you can check those out if you wish. In general, the mortar spotter can activate mortars. When making the targeting roll, the range is from the mortar, but hindrance can be determined from the mortar spotter.

Hey, I just took a look at the CCac, something I never looked at before, as the theatre was not really of much interest to me as Europe.

The Scout unit is very interesting, as are some of the other things, like the tree top sniper.

Why is the Scout found in Pacific, but hasn't been implemented as a unit in an official Europe BP? does it have something to do with actual differences found in the way the battles in the pacific were handled?

I wish I hadn't looked at the rule book. I now know that I have to have it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "official" variant rules from C3i #21 include Mortar Spotting.

Basically, if a player has at least one medium mortar or three light mortars, he can declare one of his leaders to be a spotter. Thereafter, whenever that leader is activated to fire, it may additionally activate any good order units possessing mortars to fire at a hex the spotter can see. The Targeting Roll counts the range from the actual mortar, but the Hindrance modifying the effective range is based on hindrances to the LOS from the spotter to the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Microbadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Pacific fanMicrobadge: Great War Commander fanMicrobadge: I was a child when Apollo 11 landedMicrobadge: George Orwell fan
Rules and counters for scouts for mortar and artillery spotting are also in BP#3 - Normandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Rules and counters for scouts for mortar and artillery spotting are also in BP#3 - Normandy.
Well then. I have that BP, just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm going to be setting up another scenario this evening, might redo the one I just finished from Med (Rumanians v Russians) or try another, maybe I'll look at something from that BP.

Thanks for the heads up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JMcL63 wrote:
Beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
hexagony wrote:
JMcL63 wrote:
Beat me to it.
I knew they were somewhere in the CC:x pantheon. What I lack in precision I make up for in general inaccuracy. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls