Popular Tags: [View All]
Arhan Bakan
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
Here's to another year!
badge
Favourite Cartoon Character!
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fan - Colony for a Colony?Microbadge: Video Game Programmer
Hello everyone,
My interest in board games has increased over the last year. So far, I have a collection consisting of Memoir '44, Zooloretto, Cosmic Encounter, Hive and 7 Wonders.

Here's my criteria for the game I'm looking for:

- Around the weight of 7 Wonders and Memoir '44 (maybe a bit higher), mechanic-wise, and in your opinion, not BGG weight.

- Plays well with 3-5 and at least has a decent variant for 2. Should not exceed two hours on average with the highest possible number of players.

- Not necessarily language independent, but all text should be open information to all players, brief and fairly easy to explain. Hidden information should be language independent but should not be too complicated to understand. (i.e. 7 Wonders has symbols on hidden cards, King of Tokyo has text on open cards, I think King of Tokyo is easier to play with players who do not know English.)

- Should not be a zero-luck game. Cards and dice are welcome as long as luck is not the only factor that dictates the winner of the game. Winner should feel that he/she deserved it.

- You should not be able to gang up on players just to prevent a win. (i.e. Small World)

- Should not have too much downtime. (i.e. Citadels with more than 5)

I'm thinking about King of Tokyo, Biblios, Thebes, etc.
I can certainly use some suggestions. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Arhan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes only plays 4, otherwise I'd say yes.

Another idea: Airlines Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes is nice, only up to 4, but otherweise a good choice, if you like themed games and don't mind a high luck factor.

Egizia could also very well find your liking.
2-4, best with 3 or 4 in my opinion. Complexity similar to 7 wonders, maybe a tiny bit above.

Keyflower has the advantage of working with 2-6 (a bit long with 5 or 6 maybe). A little more complex.

Navegador or The Princes of Machu Picchu work well with 2-5 and last around 90-120 minutes with full number. Also similar in complexity.

Have you tried Dominion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my mind King of Tokyo is lighter but more fun than 7 Wonders. The good things about 7 Wonders are simultaneous actions and no player elimination. But I would not play KoT with 2.

If you are looking for something between 7 Wonders and Cosmic Encounter (both in play time and in complexity), check out Innovation (2-4, ~60min) and Core Worlds (2-5, ~90min).

Something around 7 Wonder's complexity is Room 25 for 1-6 players. It has several game modes (solo/team, competition, traitor) and adjustable difficulty. (Edit: Low downtime because of simultaneous programming of interleaved actions, and is quick to pick up by casual gamers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arhan Bakan
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
Here's to another year!
badge
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter fan - Colony for a Colony?Microbadge: Video Game Programmer
Innovation and Core Worlds seem to have hidden information with plenty of text, which is why I wouldn't choose it. So does Dominion, I guess. I've never seen them played before but I'm pretty sure a player who can't understand English can't play them.

Room 25 does look interesting, though. So does Egizia and Airlines Europe.

Still looking for more suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is everything you describe. It is the most successful game in BGG-rating history. It is a must have, IMO.

+1 Navegador although it is very close to zero luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
arhpositive wrote:
Innovation and Core Worlds seem to have hidden information with plenty of text
Yeah, if you need to translate for other players, I think Innovation crosses your threshold, although most of the stuff is on the table in both games as open information. Perhaps on par with Cosmic Encounter (if you play with flares). :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiser
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:

Have you tried Dominion?
+1 on Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arhan Bakan
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
Here's to another year!
badge
The thing with Cosmic Encounter is, I can't imagine playing it with someone who doesn't know English with flares and even artifacts. That's why I'm trying to find an alternative to 7 Wonders when playing with players who do not know English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds with the expansion, King of Tokyo, a bit of a stretch with Galaxy Trucker, or finally Pandemic because it's good to have a co-op in the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
actaion wrote:
Thebes is nice, only up to 4, but otherwise a good choice, if you like themed games and don't mind a high luck factor.

Egizia could also very well find your liking.
2-4, best with 3 or 4 in my opinion. Complexity similar to 7 wonders, maybe a tiny bit above.

Keyflower has the advantage of working with 2-6 (a bit long with 5 or 6 maybe). A little more complex.

Navegador or The Princes of Machu Picchu work well with 2-5 and last around 90-120 minutes with full number. Also similar in complexity.

Have you tried Dominion?
You're right, Dominion is much text, forgot about that. But the rest is without ingame-text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride

Lords of Waterdeep

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Thebes only plays 4, otherwise I'd say yes.

Another idea: Airlines Europe
This! everyone I've played this with has really enjoyed it - gamer and non gamer alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
Microbadge: I completed the 100 Play ChallengeMicrobadge: Futurama fanMicrobadge: I have at least 4,000 logged game plays!Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Geek of the Week
The Speicherstadt - lightweight/symbols on the cards/quick/plays well with 3-5 and can be played with 2.

Plus it's very cheap. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls