GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi everyone.

After heroes are distributed to the various dungeons, how do they get resolved?

Does a hero go through the entire dungeon, followed by the next hero if there is one?

If two players have more than one hero at their entrance, does the first player in turn order resolve both heroes before moving on, or do the players alternate?

When you have two 6-damage heroes at the start of a dungeon, if the first one dies, doesn't that guarantee the second one will too, barring any changes to the dungeon rooms?

I just feel like it was too easy to just look at the heroes and your dungeon and go "well him and her are dead, she lives and I take a wound." It feels like it should be more epic than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
Hi everyone.

Does a hero go through the entire dungeon, followed by the next hero if there is one?

If two players have more than one hero at their entrance, does the first player in turn order resolve both heroes before moving on, or do the players alternate?

When you have two 6-damage heroes at the start of a dungeon, if the first one dies, doesn't that guarantee the second one will too, barring any changes to the dungeon rooms?

I just feel like it was too easy to just look at the heroes and your dungeon and go "well him and her are dead, she lives and I take a wound." It feels like it should be more epic than that.

If I remember, the order is determined by the Boss with the highest XP.

It does Guarantee the second Hero would die, unless other players play spells to mess with you.
Don't forget unless those 2 Heroes have the same Treasure type. It would mean you need to beat the other players in 2 types of treasure in order to lure those heroes. (Which means being a huge treasure advantage over the others, so its their fault or your good move for letting you lead to this advantage )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Koey wrote:
ImaginaryRoot wrote:
Hi everyone.

If I remember, the order is determined by the Boss with the highest XP.

It does Guarantee the second Hero would die, unless other players play spells to mess with you.
Don't forget unless those 2 Heroes have the same Treasure type. It would mean you need to beat the other players in 2 types of treasure in order to lure those heroes. (Which means being a huge treasure advantage over the others, so its their fault or your good move for letting you lead to this advantage )

Spells are extremely hard to come by so we barely messed with the other person's dungeons at all. It seems spells are very valuable, yet there are very few ways to get them.

The game felt... anti-climactic for the three of us. We knew who was going to win 2 turns before it happened as there was no way to stop the other person.

You mention "so its their fault or your good move for letting you lead to this advantage." Well, what if we had no way to do such a thing? Only two spells per player at start doesn't seem like enough to mess with other people's dungeons in any fashion. Something just doesn't feel right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Miller

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, it seems like, to me at least, the trick isn't killing heroes. That's the easy part. The trick is trying to make it so they die in the right places so you get something out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

Spells are extremely hard to come by so we barely messed with the other person's dungeons at all. It seems spells are very valuable, yet there are very few ways to get them.

I found quite a few rooms that allowed for ways to get new spells. Also there are rooms out there that can mess with other dungeons and Level Up abilities to gain spells or mess with other dungeons as well. Maybe it was the particular set up you had that caused this outcome. It is a light game so it wouldn't surprise me if the occasional game snowballs into an unstoppable win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Gargoyle's Quest" Gameboy, 1990
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionPax21 wrote:
So far, it seems like, to me at least, the trick isn't killing heroes. That's the easy part. The trick is trying to make it so they die in the right places so you get something out of it.

This.

The game isn't about killing the heroes, it's about fighting over them with the other players so you earn ten souls first. It's really a bidding game when you get down to the core of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos "Koey"
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

The game felt... anti-climactic for the three of us. We knew who was going to win 2 turns before it happened as there was no way to stop the other person.

You mention "so its their fault or your good move for letting you lead to this advantage." Well, what if we had no way to do such a thing? Only two spells per player at start doesn't seem like enough to mess with other people's dungeons in any fashion. Something just doesn't feel right.

It also depends highly how you are competing by building your rooms. I am not disagreeing the amount of interaction between players are limited.
The main interaction is to prevent that one player from stealing all the Heroes in one room. Know that you flip Heroes first so you can anticipate. (ie. 1 Mage 1 Fighter enter town) You might want to build rooms according to those to tie or prevent the other player from stealing them.

Killing them in the right room gives you a bonus like new spells. Or searching a specific card in Graveyard.

Building Mage rooms are the most effective way in getting spells but limits your own strength in killing other monsters.
Then again only played a 2 player game, so not sure how 3 player fairs.

The ToHK expansion does bring in more elements other players can interact with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Wisconsin Rapids
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImaginaryRoot wrote:

Unfortunately this was largely the initial impression of my wife and I as well. The game feels heavily luck based with very few real decisions to make. Do I play this good room or this crappy room? On our first game the first two rounds were just me getting 4 heroes that I couldn't even come close to killing with what I had in my hand or on the board and taking 4 wounds. Then once we got our dungeons built up a bit nothing made it through for the rest of the game even with us casting a few spells at each other.

I think we will play it some more, but it will be as a simple quick filler game. Certainly not anything I would classify as strategy or having much depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rose

Princeton
North Carolina
msg tools
We had a similar experience. It was fun, but it wasn't terribly interactive until Pixel Lincoln came out. And then Jeopardy made it un-interactive again. There aren't terribly many decisions to make each turn, which does speed gameplay but simplifies it as well, and because the card draws are random there were turns where each player had literally nothing they could do, so they just sat there. No bueno.

What I think we are going to try next time is putting in a gin rummy mechanic.
1.) All discards will be face up.
2.) Instead of each player drawing one room at the beginning of their turn, they are going to draw two and discard one.
3.) A player may choose to draw a card from the top of the discard pile instead of the top of the deck.
4.) Whenever the discard pile is searched, it is shuffled back into the Room deck (or possibly just shuffled.)

These changes should significantly reduce the randomness of the game, as well as providing more interaction through player discards. Even if you don't necessarily want a card in your hand, you may not want to give the player to your left access to it. So, you could try destroying a room, discarding another room, or shuffling the discard to prevent them from having it. The person two seats down might also get access to your card, since he or she could pick up the top two cards from the discard. Also, you'd have an additional decision to make every turn - do I pick up this card that I know, but maybe isn't exactly what I want, or do I try my luck with a random card from the top of the deck? Do I take this card myself to keep the guy on my left from taking it? I think that should provide a deeper level of gaming.

We are also looking at trap rooms that involve destroying other rooms, like the boulder trap and crushinator. When you activate these multiple times in a turn, they get very powerful. I dunno if we were doing them wrong, but I think maybe they should reset every time a hero comes through. Even then they are very powerful, but I don't think they should provide the bonuses for the whole adventure phase. We are gonna keep our eye on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jones
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a great variant. Please let us know how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.