Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Butler
United States
Fort Walton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the DM scenarios to introduce new players (for 2-player DM in particular), but I noticed there is no "official" solo DM scenario with the expansion. I haven't really done *solo* DM yet, but am itching to give it a try...but I would really like to use the expansion components as well.

So, I am soliciting thoughts on how to make this work; my initial thoughts are as follows (to "keep it simple"):

* Use 20 CP HW, and setup for Small/Large as in the base game scenario book
* Use difficulties, movements, and weaknesses as per the base game
* Use tech/ship prices as per the expansion sheet (although some things don't make any sense to research...in particular, there is no reason for boarding ships, security, or ground troops)

The only thing I don't like about this is that I like how the early-game doesn't go as slow in the expansion because of the 30 CP HW...but I am hesitant to use the 30 CP HW without giving some benefit to the DM. Does anyone have a good idea as to how this would modify the DM difficulty? Would it be as simple as using the 30 CP HW on the Small/Large map, but the movement rules as per the expansion (ie, DM moves first unless "outbid", DM destroys deep space goodies, etc)?

How would you modify the Solo DM scenarios to allow use of the 30 CP HW, but still maintain balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
Microbadge: Casual wargamerMicrobadge: COIN fan Microbadge: Band of Brothers fanMicrobadge: Space Empires: 4X fanMicrobadge: Motörhead fan
One way to do it would be to simply play all player sides yourself, that way you won't have to re-balance anything. That's a bunch of counters and paperwork to keep track of though
Your modifications sound good. I find that in the base game already there is a lot of tech you don't want to research, since it's only useful against 1/5 of the DMs. So that's probably something you'll have to accept. If you do end up finding a way to incorporate the "useless" techs please post in the variants forum!

As for using the 30cp home world, maybe just have all DMs arrive 1 round earlier or be 1 level stronger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls