Werner
Belgium
Munsterbilzen
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Today have played yedo and i must say i'm very satisfied about the game
My overall rating is 9/10
Maybe it's not the most strategic game out there.
But i just need to say that i had FUN with it altough i lost.

So the game consist roughly sketched
1 phase) Preparation phase: nothing really to say about it
2 phase) Bidding:

Pro:
I like the 7 auction categories so even if you play with 5, the last one still has 3 categories to chose from.

I like it that if you win for example: the bonus card category that you take the 3 top cards and can take 1 of them and discard the other 2 rather then just taking the top card. This minimizes the luck of the game.

You always start with the minimum bid, this way players with low money can also overbid

The harsh penalty that if you overbid something you can not afford you still have to pay but don't receive the reward.

The 3 gold reward if you don't want to participate to any of the auctions

Con's:

You can only overbid once. (This maybe a pro to avoid long playtime)

Maybe taking more cards then 3 cards (like 4 or 5) and choosing from them to reduce luck even more, i did draw 3 stupid action cards felt like a waste of money and i needed other action cards to manipulate the watch patrol to play my mission cards

3 phase) New Event Card:

Just love it: i think the samurai setting is better to do here because of harsh events.

4 phase) Worker Placement:

Pro's:
I love it that you can manipulate the workers by means of the action cards as well as the positive effects on own workers as the negative effect on enemy workers.

You can not lose more then 2 disicples

5 phase) Watch Patrol:

Pro:

Interesting game concept to lose your workers by this patrol also this can be manipulated by the action cards.

I also liked the blackmail card and favor of the shogun in which you chose your first start bonus

6 phase) If possible: Trading:

Pro's:

Just nice to have in game:

Everyone must be informed about any trade made between players

Con's:

Too bad you can't say any info of a card to other people for trading, doesn't appeal to me to trade cards if i don't know anything about the card

7 phase) Action phase:

Pro's:

It's nice to have foresight on cards and weapons, this also minimize the luck on cards

I do like the active abilities and passive abilities of the annex

Con's:

Maybe some more places to put workers on and more active actions instead of foresight actions

When completing a mission you don't need to give up a geisha tis is a con because in a 4 player game, there only 6 geisha + 3 annex that can serve as a geisha if 3 players take the 3 annex and 2 of them take 2 geisha each and the third one 1 geisha the 4th player can max. have 1 geisha to his disposal to use in mission if you need 2 geisha's in a mission you never can solve these mission this is a drawback i think

Some Positive things about yedo:

The Theme, i personally find it a nice theme, also a beautiful board

Some Negative things about yedo:

It's a long game that consists out of 11 rounds, so if you're not playing that fast, the game takes some considerable time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for reviewing Yedo !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always admire a gamer who can have fun with a game, even though he (yes, usually a he, sadly) lost. I admire even more a gamer who can rate a game highly even though he lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba Bull
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THX for the review. Me and my wife really like Yedo, because it is not too complex (after you took some time getting into it), it feels dynamic (especially due to the event cards) and offers a plethora of options to gain the necessary victory points. So I totally agree with the 9/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Siskin
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found Yedo to play best with 3 players. All the flavor due to the nice scaling of the system, but keeps the time manageable. 5p is too many IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the same thing - five players is a long game. Still, looking forward to playing it, whatever the number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.