Hide
8 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question of winning. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel R
msg tools
I'm currently playing a two player game of Arkham Horror. We're trying to slowly figure out the game. One thing we aren't sure on is the winning conditions.

For instance there are two of us. So does this mean it is impossible for us to win by closing/sealing the gates, since I believe it takes 3 turns to even go through the gate?(One turn to go in the gate, another to move to the second part, and a third to exit the gate.)

Wouldn't this mean that there would be three gates opening before we have a chance to close one?

Does this mean that unless you have a 4+ player party, you will be forced to face the ancient one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The gate limit for 2 investigators (assuming you're controlling 1 each) is 8 so you won't have to worry about awakening the AO too soon. Also, not every mythos phase opens a new gate. Sometimes you get a monster surge and sometimes you've already sealed the location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Download universalhead's rules summary. It will help you immensely.

Not every mythos card opens a gate. Sometimes it tries to open one and you have that location sealed (if you used 5 clues or an elder sign to seal the gate after you closed it). Sometimes it tries to open a gate where you already have one open and you get a monster surge instead. Also I think the open gate limit is eight. You could also play two characters each.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exphio wrote:
I'm currently playing a two player game of Arkham Horror. We're trying to slowly figure out the game. One thing we aren't sure on is the winning conditions.

For instance there are two of us. So does this mean it is impossible for us to win by closing/sealing the gates, since I believe it takes 3 turns to even go through the gate?(One turn to go in the gate, another to move to the second part, and a third to exit the gate.)

Wouldn't this mean that there would be three gates opening before we have a chance to close one?

Does this mean that unless you have a 4+ player party, you will be forced to face the ancient one?
Players win by closing and sealing 6 gates. no need to face the Ancient One in combat.

Players can also win by closing all the gates on the board. However, the investigators must have gate trophies equal to or more than the number of investigators. In your case, your investigators must have at least 2 gate trophies between them. It is possible since gates don't always open every turn (you could have a monster surge, gates can't open on sealed locations, or there may be a special mythos card (usually in an expansion set)). No need to face the Ancient One in combat.

Players can also win by defeating the Ancient One in Final Combat. Final Combat occurs if too many gates are opened, the terror level reaches 10 and too many monsters in Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all.

Yes, in the beginning the gates will open in many places, basically one per Mythos. But remember that there are 11 places for a gate to open. And, in two, it takes 8 gates open at the same time for the GOO awake. This means that, when you seal three, you will basically have a stand-off - the GOO almost won't be able to win by the number gates open at the same time. So now you both will have more time to deal with the seals (though the Terror Track will often rise).

Even without the seals, before reaching 8 gates, there will, probably have quite a few monsters surges, since there are places in the board where is more likely that a gate will open.

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel R
msg tools
If a gate is trying to appear in an area that has had another sealed gate, will a monster surge occur or will nothing happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Leidich
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exphio wrote:
If a gate is trying to appear in an area that has had another sealed gate, will a monster surge occur or will nothing happen?
Nothing happens. (whew!)goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-L├ęgier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exphio wrote:
Nothing, except other elements of the card (monster movement, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls