Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Village» Forums » General

Subject: Good or not?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just watched Tom Vassel and he has an opinion of Village that makes me wonder if it is a great game or not. I know its only his view. but he says that you are just moving cubes about.I am thinking of buying this but not too sure, although Richard Ham really speaks highly of it. Any thoughts??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you typically like euros? Tom Vassel isn't really a euro guy. He plays some, but he really only seems to enjoy the more heavily thematic ones (although the theme in Village is pretty solid). You don't seem to rate your games so I'm not sure where you'll fall.

Did you watch Richard's play through? I think those give the best idea of gameplay, and the best idea of whether you're going to enjoy it or not.

My tastes definitely align more with Richard Ham, and my tastes are different enough from Vassel's tastes that I don't even bother watching his videos. If Vassel is pretty solid for you, then maybe you should try playing before you buy.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I have just watched Tom Vassel and he has an opinion of Village that makes me wonder if it is a great game or not. I know its only his view. but he says that you are just moving cubes about.I am thinking of buying this but not too sure, although Richard Ham really speaks highly of it. Any thoughts??
Very good game, made even better by the Village: Inn expansion. If Tom Vassel is just pushing cubes about, he is not playing it very well.

In the game it is necessary to max out in at least one area (travelling, church, council, book of remembrance, or market). That is not too difficult to do - so you also need to do well in another of these areas. Any therein lies the interest and replayability.

The expansion adds an Inn and character cards, extends the game to five, and lifts the game from good to great.

Strongly recommended.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
Avatar
mb
diceman56 wrote:
I have just watched Tom Vassel and he has an opinion of Village that makes me wonder if it is a great game or not. I know its only his view. but he says that you are just moving cubes about.I am thinking of buying this but not too sure, although Richard Ham really speaks highly of it. Any thoughts??
Agreed with the above poster that you should keep in mind Vasel is more of an Ameritrash guy.

I myself have a broad taste in games, in my Top 10 I've got Euros, Ameritrash, Hybrids, even Abstracts.

As a Euro, I very much enjoyed Village. I like the twists of time as currency and how "death" plays into the game. Keeping in mind that all games are abstractions to certain degrees, I felt the theme in this one. Like, it takes time to train someone to learn a particular craft, and the harvesting and selling.

So, to answer your subject question:
Good.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow they were quick replies,and thank you.
I like games like 'Fresco' and 'Lancaster', and this does seem sort of similar?!
It was a choice for me between 'Village' and 'Yedo' and I looked more towards 'Village' because you can get the expansion as well and I can get both of these and they would cost the same as 'Yedo'.
I have watched the Rahdo playthrough several times, and it does look immersive, and he sounds quite passionate about the game too.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good? Yes.

Best game ever - probably not.

Innovative? Yes, the death mechanic is brilliant.

I thought Village was clever, clean and fresh while not using unnecessarily complex and/or intertwined mechanics (as Tzolkin and Terra Mystica do).

A very good medium heavy Euro.

Recommended.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I have watched the Rahdo playthrough several times, and it does look immersive, and he sounds quite passionate about the game too.
Yeah, I am Regarding Tom's "you're just pushing cubes around", well, that's just silly. Actually, I had a conversation with Tom (on BGG) about his attitude on this game, and he admitted that if the publisher had replaced cubes with chits that showed icons for

-knowledge (icon of book replaces pink cube)

-skill (icon of anvil replaces orange cube)

-charm (icon of "person whispering into ear of another" replaces green cube)

-faith (icon of cross replaces brown cube)

-hardship (icon of skull & crossbones replaces black cube)

then that might have made things different for him.

Here's where he admitted (my reading) that his thematic problem was with the cubes, not the game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/21282?commentid=3223328#c...

So, ask yourself, can you see past the cube to imagine what the cube represents? If so, you're in for a treat. If not, then maybe you'll agree with Tom
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Microbadge: 2015 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: 2016 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: 2017 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: I completed the 2018 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
I recently picked up Village at Origins and had my first play through yesterday morning. I really enjoyed it. For me its theme is nicely integrated into the game choices, actions, and mechanisms. It exceeded my expectations and hope to enjoy many more plays. I too wouuld recommend it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman56 wrote:
Wow they were quick replies,and thank you.
I like games like 'Fresco' and 'Lancaster', and this does seem sort of similar?!
It was a choice for me between 'Village' and 'Yedo' and I looked more towards 'Village' because you can get the expansion as well and I can get both of these and they would cost the same as 'Yedo'.
I have watched the Rahdo playthrough several times, and it does look immersive, and he sounds quite passionate about the game too.
I'm a fan of both games, but if you're between Village or Yedo. My answer would be Yedo.

I think Village is a good game and I think the death mechanic is great. Yedo just has more of an overall theme immersion for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
diceman56 wrote:
I have just watched Tom Vassel and he has an opinion of Village that makes me wonder if it is a great game or not. I know its only his view. but he says that you are just moving cubes about.I am thinking of buying this but not too sure, although Richard Ham really speaks highly of it. Any thoughts??
Village is great. Vassel's opinion isn't always good.

The game is about much more than cube pushing / resource management. Timing is also very well done in this game and something that must be watched. The potential actions that are available make for interesting decisions.

I didn't even know an expansion was coming out. Partly because I wasn't paying attention and partly because I have been so satisfied with the base game, I didn't have an urge to see if they had expanded yet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
Avatar
Microbadge: ProfessorMicrobadge: PsychologistMicrobadge: VegetarianMicrobadge: Statistics fanMicrobadge: Shogi fan
I have met Tom a couple times and watched many reviews. I find them quite valuable as my tastes are very nearly opposite of his. Just goes to show you how useful a negative correlation can be for predictive purposes. arrrh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I certainly have no problem with cubes.
You cannot get more abstract for the use of cubes than in 'Stronghold' where they represent Goblins Orcs and Trolls, so 'Village' looks likely to be my next purchase.
I think I will just go and look at your playthrough again Richard, and thanks.
Lets face it though, cubes are the most suitable shape as they do not roll all over the place.
Why do people hate cubes so much?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
diceman56 wrote:
I have just watched Tom Vassel and he has an opinion of Village that makes me wonder if it is a great game or not. I know its only his view. but he says that you are just moving cubes about.I am thinking of buying this but not too sure, although Richard Ham really speaks highly of it. Any thoughts??
Village is great. Vassel's opinion isn't always good.
I agree with you that Village is great, and I absolutely love the time mechanic in it. I wish I could play it more often, but well, I've got too many games

But, I don't fully agree with you.

In this case, you can't really say that Tom's opinion is good or bad, because in reality, it depends entirely on how well Tom's gaming likes reflects a viewer's likes. Tom has a clear history of subjectively liking deeply thematic games and player-interactive games ("Ha! Take that!" games). Village is not a game that lets you mess with your opponent(s) aside from denying them a resource you think they need or snatching up a choice buyer from the market. The resources themselves are represented by coloured cubes and for some (eg Tom) this is not thematic, however they label them in the manual.

The fact that Tom may or may not like this game is not useful to me as I don't like games for the same reasons he does. However, I only really know this because of the volume of reviews he has put out there.

So, Tom's opinion of any cube-pusher is not going to be a good one for me. But, it may just what someone else needs to hear though, someone who's opinions tallies with Tom's. Life is too short to play games you will not enjoy after all!

The way he runs through the gameplay objectively, shows the components, and goes through how it works *is* generally useful. Now, if his review was just his opinion and you never got to see the game, that would be a crap review!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
benosteen wrote:
But, I don't fully agree with you.
I think we are in essence saying the same thing. But instead of me taking an entire post to say it I summed it up (to paraphrase myself): Game good, Tom bad. Though Tom's not bad, just his opinion in this case. Which is itself an opinion.

I appreciate the work Tom puts in and what he has contributed to the hobby. And while his videos prove very helpful in almost all situations, his opinion on games has really slipped over the years. I don't even think he gives well thought out opinions anymore (whether I agree with him or not in any particular case).

I think he has become too jaded or emotional in some of his reviews not basing it on the game play but judging it by the cover or going out of his way to prove he can be negative. Or he goes through one play and thinks he has it all figured out. I think this is a perfect case in point. His review would change if it went from cubes to tokens??? That has no game play effect and should have no bearing on the opinion of the game play. Game production? Sure. Game itself? No way. And it is those types of things that make me want to turn off his reviews as soon as he is done giving the overview.

All this to say, I don't think you should put one person's opinion so high that you avoid a particular game. Especially if other people are saying the opposite. Even with the most closely correlated of players' opinions, you are still going to have outliers that don't match up.

Which brings me back to my main point: Village is great. Vassel's opinion isn't always good.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The big advantage of Rahdo's runthroughs is you get to see the game in action and can make yor own mind up about it.

Based your decision on that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out rhado's video on Village. He is phenomenal. I'm pretty sure village will be a lock once you watch it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have, and will purchase the game plus expansion.
One thing though, can you stop a person bringing the game to a sudden finish by staying in the pub using two or three members of the family. I do not know the rules yet, but have thrown that one in Just out of curiosity.
To only fill three graves for two players seems very quick.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone tried that, it's a guaranteed way to lose. They'd be doing nothing but collecting cards that won't earn them points, and meanwhile other players would be doing things that earn points. And it would still take them awhile because you can only do 3 visits to the pub at most every year, and each visit only uses 2 hours, so your guy at the pub wouldn't even be half way to dying.

Yeah, thinking about it, that's just not a viable thing you can do. You can use the pub to shorten the length of the game a bit, but not by an extreme amount I think...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: I love Christmas!Microbadge: RainbowMicrobadge: Disney Classics collectorMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
I like Village a lot. Bought it exactly a year ago and have played about 20 times now. Mostly 2 player games and enjoy it greatly.

Played with the expansion for the first time today and it actually benefits the game. I love me some beer...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is decent but nothing too special. The death mechanic is cute, but mostly a gimmick. A decent semi worker placement with a terribly overpriced and luck based expansion. Get it cheap if you can.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
The game is decent but nothing too special. The death mechanic is cute, but mostly a gimmick. A decent semi worker placement with a terribly overpriced and luck based expansion. Get it cheap if you can.
Or an expansion that may complete the game for you depending on your tastes...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to suggest whether you'd like it or not because you don't have any rated games. If I could see how you've rated games, even just the ones you own, then I'd have a better feel for what type of games you like and could then infer whether you'd like this one.

That being said, I like it a lot.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Winner of the 2019 International SGOYT Rally Association Cup Pirouette Award
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." – Bruno Faidutti
Avatar
Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: There...Are...Four...Lights!Microbadge: I tipped into the Geekgold infinite loopMicrobadge: “My dear doctor…they’re all true. Especially the lies.” — Elim GarakMicrobadge: Box Fart
rahdo wrote:
Actually, I had a conversation with Tom (on BGG) about his attitude on this game, and he admitted that if the publisher had replaced cubes with chits that showed icons for

-knowledge (icon of book replaces pink cube)

-skill (icon of anvil replaces orange cube)

-charm (icon of "person whispering into ear of another" replaces green cube)

-faith (icon of cross replaces brown cube)

-hardship (icon of skull & crossbones replaces black cube)
Is there some irony in that another Inka and Markus Brand game, A Castle for All Seasons, does use thematic wooden shapes instead of cubes?


(Bricks, lumber, silver ingots, piles of sand, and stone blocks.)

I'll readily admit those pieces are half the reason I bought ACfAS. But they wouldn't be necessary to sell me on Village, since I bought it and the expansion yesterday.

Damn, I was thinking about buying some Realm Coins to replace the coins in Village (and ACfAS)—now I'm thinking about replacing the influence cubes too...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Actually, I had a conversation with Tom (on BGG) about his attitude on this game, and he admitted that if the publisher had replaced cubes with chits that showed icons for

-knowledge (icon of book replaces pink cube)

-skill (icon of anvil replaces orange cube)

-charm (icon of "person whispering into ear of another" replaces green cube)

-faith (icon of cross replaces brown cube)

-hardship (icon of skull & crossbones replaces black cube)
Is there some irony in that another Inka and Markus Brand game, A Castle for All Seasons, does use thematic wooden shapes instead of cubes?


(Bricks, lumber, silver ingots, piles of sand, and stone blocks.)

I'll readily admit those pieces are half the reason I bought ACfAS. But they wouldn't be necessary to sell me on Village, since I bought it and the expansion yesterday.

Damn, I was thinking about buying some Realm Coins to replace the coins in Village (and ACfAS)—now I'm thinking about replacing the influence cubes too...
In A Castle For All Seasons you don't need to draw the resources at random out of a bag to seed the board.

In Village you do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Gravey wrote:
rahdo wrote:
Actually, I had a conversation with Tom (on BGG) about his attitude on this game, and he admitted that if the publisher had replaced cubes with chits that showed icons for

-knowledge (icon of book replaces pink cube)

-skill (icon of anvil replaces orange cube)

-charm (icon of "person whispering into ear of another" replaces green cube)

-faith (icon of cross replaces brown cube)

-hardship (icon of skull & crossbones replaces black cube)
Is there some irony in that another Inka and Markus Brand game, A Castle for All Seasons, does use thematic wooden shapes instead of cubes?


(Bricks, lumber, silver ingots, piles of sand, and stone blocks.)

I'll readily admit those pieces are half the reason I bought ACfAS. But they wouldn't be necessary to sell me on Village, since I bought it and the expansion yesterday.

Damn, I was thinking about buying some Realm Coins to replace the coins in Village (and ACfAS)—now I'm thinking about replacing the influence cubes too...
In A Castle For All Seasons you don't need to draw the resources at random out of a bag to seed the board.

In Village you do.
Yeah, it would ruin the game if you replaced the cubes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |