United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1705564_md.jpg

Waterloo Special Rules

Use all 8 French units. Use 7 of the British units (do not use the 42 Infantry unit). For Prussian Reinforcements use only 3 infantry units (the 13th, 25th and 32nd). Starting locations for each unit is listed on the MAP. Click on the link above to see map set up.

Hougoumont: Starts with two REDOUBTS (+6 in defense) When the French attack Huguomont and get a “kill” or “retreat” result the British take off one of the Redoubts instead of reducing the British Defending unit. Then the second kill result will take away the second Redoubt unit. So casualties to the defensive British unit will not start taking effect until the redoubts are gone.

If artillery fire at Hougoumont, only the Redoubt(s) are counted in defense (the defending unit is ignored).
-If the British Defensive unit ever leaves Hougoumont the British must take away the redoubts.
-A redoubt may be rebuilt with the play of a “Redoubt Card.”

La Haye Sainte: Works same as Houguomont, but only can have one Redoubt located there at a time. It does not start there, but must be built.

Prussian Reinforcements: Prussian player must play a LEADER card to activate one of its units per turn. Roll a six-sided die to see where unit enters. Once activated, it can move on subsequent turns.

Special Movement Rules: When moving on a road a unit can go one additional space. Can only cross Rivers by way of bridge, unless forced to retreat across a river, in which case a unit may cross, but is flipped to its weaker side. May not attack across Rivers except through a bridge, in which case the defender gets a +2 defense.

Winning the Battle
MORALE: The French Army starts with a Morale total of 11. The British Army starts with a total of 10. A marker must be moved up and down the morale track for each army. If either Army reaches its Morale limit through loss of men and/or geographical locations they IMMEDIATELY LOSE the Battle.* *A variant to IMMEDIATE LOSS, is to allow the “defeated” player to have ONE turn to regain a geographical objective that had been lost in order to avoid defeat.
Morale loss is calculated in the following manner:

French: Lose one morale point for each French unit that is flipped. (Can be gained back if un-flipped). They lose an additional morale point if a unit is destroyed (2 points total for destroyed unit).
They also lose morale points for each of the following locations that are occupied by the enemy—Plancenoit 3, and La Haye Sainte 3

British: Lose one morale point for each British unit that is flipped and 2 points for each eliminated unit, just like the French. In addition they lose morale for the following locations that are occupied by the French--- Huguomont 2, La Haye Sainte 3, Fischermont 1

Prussians: Are not affected by Morale loss.
Use the Morale chart at upper left corner of map to keep track of morale loss and gain as it happens.

IF the Game ends without either Army being defeated:
IF the game ends by running out of daylight (British and French Card Decks are depleted) the winner will be determined by the following method: Each side (only British and French units. Prussian units are ignored) adds up their total units left on the board and take it times 4 (For example: French have 5 units remaining X 4 = 20). Then subtract the morale loss for each Army. The side with the highest total points wins the game. FOR EXAMPLE, if the French morale is on “2”, they have lost 9 morale points. So 20 – 9 = 11 victory points.

Optional Rule: IF a LONGER game is desired, the players may continue the game even after Morale Marker has reached the “defeated” space. In this case the game does not end, but rather it continues until EITHER the British OR the French original card deck has been exhausted. At that point the game score will be determined as stated under the GAME ENDS BY RUNNING OUT OF DAYLIGHT scoring rule. (See above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: 2010 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Wings of War: WWI Miniatures fanMicrobadge: 2011 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2012 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?
Like to hear AARs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go Gordon: After solo play testing several scenarios using the morale rules and historical battle boards, I finally had an opportunity to play the Waterloo scenario face to face with my regular gaming partner, my brother Mark. He took the British/Prussian Allies against my French.

The battle opened with a French advance toward Frischermont on the British Left. On the French left there was no early attempt at Hougoumont but rather the French moved the 45th ligne up to aid the 4th Suisse in presenting a threat to the chateau. Wellington countered this move as he sent the 1st Foot Guards forward to protect the eastern approaches to Hougoumont. Soon a clash would occur in the area as the French 45th with support from the heavy cavalry of the 1st Cuirassiers began attacks against the British Foot Guards. The early highlights of this encounter were two great charges of the Cuirassiers that pushed back the British units, but on both occasions failed to reduce them during pursuit. The fighting escalated around Hougoumont as Wellington threw in the 9th Light Dragoons, and Napoleon advanced the 4th Suisse into the woods of the chateau. The Dutch/Belgian regiment, that was garrisoning Hougoumont, tried unsuccessfully to drive the French out of the woods. At the same time Napoleon advanced the 2nd legere up the Brussels road to threaten La Haye Sainte. This advance was followed shortly by the Imperial Guard also advancing up the road in position to exploit any breakthroughs that might be achieved by the 2nd legere.

Meanwhile on the French Right, with the early arrival of one Prussian regiment , the 8th legere had to fall back to keep from being outflanked to its rear. The British also advanced the 52nd and the 4th Foot regiments to the Pappelotte/Frischermont line. Most of the fighting on the French right for the remainder of the battle would center on the Prussian attempt to break through the woods just North East of Plancenoit. The French 19th, the Guard Cavalry, and 8th legere would be pitted against two Prussian regiments and the British 52nd, King’s Dragoons, and the 4th Foot in a struggle for the rest of the day in and around this area. The French 8th and Guard cavalry were both eventually destroyed in this fighting as the 19th held onto the vital defensive position in the woods in a desperate attempt to keep the Prussians from taking Plancenoit.

The other main area of fighting that would prove to be a tense back and forth affair would be the struggle for La Haye Sainte which changed hands four different times with both sides suffering heavy casualties. Ultimately the British would prevail as the Imperial Guard was driven out of La Haye Sainte for the second and final time. Just one turn after this critical victory of the British at La Haye Sainte, the Prussians were able to finally drive the French from the woods and advance to the outskirts of Plancenoit. The Fr. 19th fortified the village with a redoubt and prepared for the final Prussian assault that was certain to come. The French morale had fallen to dangerously low levels and a Prussian success at Plancenoit would win the battle for the Allies. Blucher threw in a “Committed Attack” with one regiment that reduced the 19th, followed by an assault with the other Prussian Regiment that easily carried the day by eliminating the French defenders and taking Plancenoit. The Battle of Wateroo had ended with a decisive Allied win over the demoralized French.

Some thoughts: Because of the morale rules for this scenario, (which starts the game with the British Morale at 10 and the French at 8), I expected Mark to keep his units in a strong defensive position, at least until the arrival of the Prussians. He led in morale, occupied excellent defensive positions in the two fortified chateaus of Hougoumont and La Haye Sainte, and the hills along the ridge all the way across his line. I therefore thought that I would have ample time to draw some good cards and begin an organized attack at some key positions. The unoccupied hamlet of Frischermont looked to be an easy pick up for one morale point and Hougoumont, with its 2 morale point value, and rather weak Dutch/Belgian defender (although a strong “double” redoubt) looked like an inviting target. Mark surprised me however, but acting very aggressively as he moved his Foot Guards from the ridge down toward Hougoumont, and begin a rather quick advance with his 52nd and 4th Foot regiments to defend the Pappelotte and Frischermont line. He had bad luck in drawing the right cards to get the Prussians onto the field quickly, but still threw me off with his advances, which forced me to deploy my cavalry units sooner than I wanted. Then when his Prussians did start to come on the board, I found myself having to take many of my moves on the my right, as I had to worry about the approaches to Plancenoit (a 3 morale value for the Allies), so I was unable to concentrate all my fire power in the center and left where I had wanted to. This was compounded by the absolute failure of my cavalry units to get good pursuit die rolls in four of the first five attempts. To be fair on this point Mark’s British cavalry were also dismal failures in the pursuit die rolls as well. At the mid-point of the game I suffered perhaps the most demoralizing moment for the French. I had just drawn the Napoleon Leader card and was eagerly anticipating a major combined attack of three units against La Haye Sainte. Before I could get into position to carry out this master stroke, Mark was able to reduce one of my key units, and I felt I had to use the Napoleon card to rally this unit. I was reluctant to do so, but I made my move with the intention of rallying this unit at the end of the turn to be prepared defensively for the following the turn. Needing a die roll of 1-5, I felt pretty confident. I laid down my valuable Napoleon card . . . . and . . . rolled a “6”! WHAT A WASTE! I believe my brother, who knows me so well, could now smell victory. Just like dog can smell fear, it was not hard for him to look at me as I slumped my forehead onto the table and banged my fists. No “poker face” here! He and I both knew I was doomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: 2010 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Wings of War: WWI Miniatures fanMicrobadge: 2011 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: 2012 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level III - Are we geeks because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are geeks?
Excellent AAR Rod! Somewhat historical; maybe increasing French moral to 10? But w/Nappy napping and then "arriving" w/a 6, Did you have a chance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
Excellent AAR Rod! Somewhat historical; maybe increasing French moral to 10? But w/Nappy napping and then "arriving" w/a 6, Did you have a chance?
Thanks Gordon. I really got a good laugh out of your, "w/Nappy napping and then arriving" comment. I admit that with that roll I felt like chances were going against me! As to the Morale table, I have the French Morale topping out at 11 and the British at 10. But I have La Haye Sainte being a morale target for both sides. Since it is a "3" the French start the game knocked down to 8. If and when they recover it, the British go down 3 and the French back up 3. As you can see from the AAR, that happened a couple of times. The morale fluctuated back and forth for much of the battle with me being down, up, down, up and down again for good with the last time the French were pushed out of La Haye Sainte. Not only did the army's morale plunge at that point, but with Napoleon's infamous "6" die roll my morale went right down the drain with that of my army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. H.
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
Butler's Battlin' Blue Bastards (my great uncle's unit in WWII)
badge
Microbadge: I speak three languagesMicrobadge: Famous WWII units - 99th Infantry Division "Battle Babies/Checkerboard Division" (US)Microbadge: Operation Wacht am Rhein, Battle of the BulgeMicrobadge: Rifles in the Ardennes fanMicrobadge: Vae Victis fan
I recall that I had created a scenario for Manoeuvre many moons ago... it's here if you want to try it out: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34861/m0rtaars-manoeuv...

I'm sure it can get some updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat McLaughlin
Australia
Canberra
A.C.T.
flag msg tools
badge
What's another word for Thesaurus?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! Have you posted the map anywhere? I would love to have a try of it.

ps I am currently living in Auderghem, Brussels, which is about a 20 minute drive away from the battlefield at Waterloo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
snog wrote:
Looks great! Have you posted the map anywhere? I would love to have a try of it.

ps I am currently living in Auderghem, Brussels, which is about a 20 minute drive away from the battlefield at Waterloo.

I used map tiles posted by Karl Hiesterman in the file section to make the map. The following link shows a picture of the map that you might be able to use.

http://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1705564_md.jpg

Goeff Hill posted a nice Waterloo variant in the file section, that I used as the basis for my variant. He uses the regular map tiles from the original game. Here is the link to his variant:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/34861/m0rtaars-manoeuv

Wow, 20 minutes from the Waterloo Battlefield! I would love to be able to visit the battlefield. Have you toured it often?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls