Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm just a bit confused about the famine scoring because of the wording in the rulebook.

The rulebook says:

Quote:
Each player earns 1 point for each completed city connected to each of his farmers (in a similar manner as farmers are scored at game end...)
For a field with a single farmer, it's pretty clear; the farmer scores 1 point for each completed city in the field. Just like the endgame, except each city scores 1 point instead of 3.

However, for fields with more than one farmer we have two conflicting interpretations:

In this example we'll have 2 farmers from player A, and 3 farmers from player B in a field with 3 completed cities.

A) Either we take it literally as translated: each farmer in any given field scores one point for each completed city in that field--

A scores 6 and B scores 9.

or

B) We score in a similar manner to the endgame; i.e. a player with a majority of farmers in their color in a field scores 1 point per completed city (instead of 3 as in the normal endgame), and the other players score nothing--

In that case, B scores 3 and A scores 0.

Thanks in advance for the input everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you already answered your own question in the Rulebook quote.

It states each "Player" earns a point for farmers connected to the city. So, my understanding is that you could have several farmers in a farm but only earn 1 point for each when the famine occurs.

Sort of like the way you would score anything else in Carcassonne, i.e., if you ended up with 2 knights in a city, you just score the 3 points per tile once. The number of farmers would only matter in the end game to determine who received all the points for cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tan
United States
South San Francisco
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
There is only one choice and the brave make it. Fly from the path.
mbmbmbmbmb
It not only says "per player" but also for "each farmer" in the field. What leads me to believe in either option is that the Tax event on the Wheel of Fortune doesn't score knights and cities in the traditional manner either; you score the number of knights in the city multiplied by the number of knights in the city plus pennants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this as end game scoring mid game but with the winning farmers scoring one point for a city instead of three. Mainly because the bracketed text mentions it being similar to end game scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls