Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JPG
Canada
Sherwood Park
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At my FLGS we were discussing starting a league when a difference of opinion came up over what cards to allow.

First, a bit of background:

Our meta is very small, consisting of 2 regular players and a few other casuals, however we have had some success introducing the game to new players. The purpose of the league would be to bring together other players in the area as well as to introduce the game to new players. It would likely be very casual and would likely not include any prizes, etc, as we are mainly looking to increase the player base.

The difference of opinion revolves around what sets to allow in the league.

One point is to allow only the Core set. This would allow new players to get involved and not feel they were being beaten because another player had "better cards". Although new players could purchase the data packs, it can be difficult to find stock.

The other opinion is to allow all data packs, etc. Only Core may be boring to those who have additional data packs and new players may appreciate seeing new cards they do not have (instead of feeling the other player has an advantage) thereby increasing interest in the game and the new cards coming out.

If the league is very casual, (as in people show up, play who they want and the scores are recorded, no set matches) does this make a difference? If it is run over a 2 month period, should we allow new packs as they are released? (C&C, Spin Cycle?)

I would be interested to hear all opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aguayo
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With so few players, the laid back attitude, and the goal of getting people interested in the game, why not just run a casual Netrunner game night and let players play with whichever decks/cards they want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a draft pod, and let the new players come and beg for more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
The very best to help the game grow in your area would be to let people use whatever they have handy.

Do not encourage nor forbid proxies, but try to require "full card" printed proxies in a sleeve instead of just slips of paper with "Rototurret" written in it.This because new players might have trouble recognizing and remembering the cards and because it should be at least a little annoying to make proxies, so as to not encourage the habit.

Have the veterans bring Core Set only decks to play core set games with people who haven't taken the jump yet and don't feel comfortable using all the expansions and definitely keep a couple of preconstructed basic decks ready for demo purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Barrett
United States
Schaumburg
IL
flag msg tools
mbmb
Grusome99 wrote:

At my FLGS we were discussing starting a league when a difference of opinion came up over what cards to allow.

First, a bit of background:

Our meta is very small, consisting of 2 regular players and a few other casuals, however we have had some success introducing the game to new players. The purpose of the league would be to bring together other players in the area as well as to introduce the game to new players. It would likely be very casual and would likely not include any prizes, etc, as we are mainly looking to increase the player base.

The difference of opinion revolves around what sets to allow in the league.

One point is to allow only the Core set. This would allow new players to get involved and not feel they were being beaten because another player had "better cards". Although new players could purchase the data packs, it can be difficult to find stock.

The other opinion is to allow all data packs, etc. Only Core may be boring to those who have additional data packs and new players may appreciate seeing new cards they do not have (instead of feeling the other player has an advantage) thereby increasing interest in the game and the new cards coming out.

If the league is very casual, (as in people show up, play who they want and the scores are recorded, no set matches) does this make a difference? If it is run over a 2 month period, should we allow new packs as they are released? (C&C, Spin Cycle?)

I would be interested to hear all opinions.

Here is my opininon:

For one thing, restricting your card pool is in no way going to improve your league. The internet exists, ebay exists, and 100 dollars for a core set and all the data packs is not even close to being a barrier of entry.

Second, people can be competitive with just the core set, regardless of what you and the people in your meta may think - the game is incredibly well balanced and the core set cards remain some of the strongest. If there is something you think is too "over powered" consider that you may actually be playing wrong. I heard about someone whose game group didn't understand that they could only have one kati jones in play at a time, and consequently thought kati was the most broken card ever.

Last if your playgroup is small and you want it to grow, you just have to dedicate a lot of time and effort into teaching people how to play. Most of the people that I've taught (about 18) have jumped up and bought all of the cards immediately after the first or second game.

I generally allow new expansions as soon as they are available, the only time I didn't was when future proof came out the same day as league night and the majority of us decided we'd not play with the cards to give us another week to retool our decks. We play for cash and prizes though, if it were a casual just for fun league then I would always allow the newest packs as soon as they were available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Heyo, I started a thread on this a little while ago and helped out a ton:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/996085/organizing-a-netrunne...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Vernyns
Belgium
Spalbeek-Hasselt
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
First,

Congrats with the start of your local league!
I can be quite time consuming but it's very rewarding.

I started a small league in our FLGS and it's going pretty well.
I think it's a good thing that you think about it how you want to organize it so that it has a good start from the beginning. Communication is key however. I try to send a mail every week about the evolution in the league to keep people involved.

I planned most part of the first seaon of our league in advance and printed out a small letter with the goal and spirit of the league (encourage new players to explore netrunner in a friendly environment).

I added a list of achievements (30 for runner & 30 for corporation) to encourage players to make different decks and to explore some niche strategies of the game by forcing them to think creative about the game.
(I was Lucky that our FLGS supported the league with ordering a league kit so that we can give a prize for the players who achieve all the goals but I have the feeling that people are trying to get them anyway (just for the thrills of reaching the achievements and not really for the prize support)).

This combined with an overal ranking with a formula I designed for the ranking to encourage people to play has helped a lot to keep players interested.

We allow all available cards (as we play in the FLGS this is not really a problem as long as their is stock).

I think playing with all cards keeps things interesting for all players because it can be frustrating for the veterans if they can't use their favorite cards. The newer players can learn the new cards by playing against them.

My most important advice for new players (I tell this to all new players in our league):
You don't need to have all the available cards to have a competitive deck
but you MUST pretend that you have all available cards.
Your biggest disadvantage is not that you don't have the cards,
but the fact that your opponent knows that you have no access to the cards.

It's very interesting to see how other league organizers approach their league because ideas can always be integrated in other leagues (I'm currently working on the system for our second season, which will have a different approach). Best way is to just do whatever works best for your local environment and have fun playing ANR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.