Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paolo Bignami
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how to resolve this situation.
One infantry unit (Gregg-a) is going to charge one infantry unit in one hex (Crook-a) and an artillery unit in another frontal hex (Scammon).
Here's a pic of the situation

Both Union units fail their defensive fire.
As per 10.28 artillery never partecipates in Charge, so I don't count its Fire Strenght and then the odds ratio, based on 3(Gregg)/5(Crook-a) strenght, is 1-2.
My adjusted die roll is 6 (the defender retreats and undergoes a CCDR that is negative, so I withdraw Crook).
Then Gregg must advance and occupies hex 3811.
Finally the question
Which is the fate of Scammon's artillery?
Will I apply 10.28 dot 2 (if defending with one or more cavalry or infantry units and the latter "lose" the artillery must retreat and check for Disorder) or dot 3 (if defending without any cavalry or infantry units, it is automatically eliminated. NO Charge Resolution is required)?
In other terms, "defending with one or more cavalry or infantry units" means that the artillery must be stacked with them, or, as in the photo, that it can be alone but adjacent to a hex with an infantry/cavalry unit?
I'd say 10.28 dot 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stack
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd apply dot 3 and eliminate the Arty.

In essence the Union forces charged (Crook a & the Arty) lost the fight. Crook a fled the field but the Arty was still overrun by some of the forces of Gregg since they had no direct (in hex) infantry/cavalry to buy them time to retreat.

I think all of the ACW rules that I've read/played had Artillery that is the losing side of a shock combat be destroyed (spiked or taken captive and used again.)

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Bignami
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, poor Union!
Thank you both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would apply the Play Note under the third bullet. Thus the artillery Retreats and checks for Disorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Bignami
Italy
Novara
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beresford wrote:
I would apply the Play Note under the third bullet. Thus the artillery Retreats and checks for Disorder.

I didn't notice it!
You're right the Play Note is clear (Thus, if any artillery unit and an adjacent infantry unit are together being Charged by the same enemy Stack, the artillery is considered to be defending with infantry even though the artillery unit is not stacked with the infantry unit) so the answer is the 10.28 dot 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.