Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zeke
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game about a year ago, but had a difficult time getting anyone to go for it. Finally I got my dad cornered a few days ago since he is a trek fan and we got down to the dirty business at hand.

I had already played through a few mock games to try to familiarize myself with the rules. So I knew the correct setup and phases of the game and how most things fit together.

Still, it was an incredible slog. Unlike a lot of deckbuilders I've played, the path to victory is often somewhat unclear.

Advancement is of course via the space deck. My dad managed to snag a space combat every time it was his turn the first 3 turns. I easily bagged the Garbage Scow mission, but then could not win any mission cards I drew for the next few turns.

One mission we drew early on was Code of Honor. This required a hefty speed and attack rating, and limited us to using character cards to achieve it. Eventually I just drew another space card and replaced it, because neither of us were coming close at all.

Remember Me was another stinker. 4+ speed and 3+ diplomacy while also always discarding a character card each turn. I replaced this one too, but not before trying to beat it a couple turns in a row.

Because of that stupid Code of Honor mission, we had been trying to fill out decks with high attack cards, but unfortunately this prevented us from easily diplomacying enemy ships and a lot more ship combats were in the cards.

A few random wars put a few more mission points on both sides.

I was able to win the "Wargames" mission with all my attack cards.

Finally in the last 4th of the game we were each able to diplomacy a good ship and the missions started to be achieved with regularity. This probably took 3 hours to happen, unfortunately!

In the end, my dad won by 25 points...which will help if I ever need to talk him into playing it again! The mission he won to secure the game: everyone's favorite first season finale Skin of Evil!

A lot of the unique character cards seemed to have lackluster abilities at best. Data was a good card my dad snagged early (by upgrading Wesley Crusher). One card we kinda puzzled over was Gowron (cost 9, you may divide your damage among any number of battling starships) who probably makes more sense with more players?

I was looking for cards to allow my to trash cards already in my deck, but they were few and far between. Looks like I should have just bit the bullet and used the trash action more often.

Wargames has two sentences that were a little confusing. "You may discard all the cards in your hand and bridge to draw 5 cards. Then, you may search the space deck for a War Event and play it as if it were flipped." My dad argued you had to do the first in order to do the second. But I am 90% sure he is wrong, since they are entirely different sentences.

We had a good time, but the game itself seems kinda unfocused. But this could be the inexperience of the players. I will attempt to tighten it up the next time I get this to the table and we will see if we can get a little closed to the 60 minute mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With a 2-player game going, it should only take 45-60 minutes... At least that is generally the case with my wife and I.

But I agree that TNG is pretty unfocused. I would suggest TOS for tighter relationships between cards. Also, Next Phase adds the Romulan scenario, which is a lot of fun for two player and gives a little more focus for the players and seems to reward long term planning better than TNG scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got my set in front of me, but the word 'may' applies in war games. If you do both, you should do them in order because of the word "then", but if both parts of the instructions say 'may', then it means you don't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Textor
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session summary. I like this game but I want to like it a lot more but can't. It's kind of all over the place. It is almost a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls