Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We are new to the game, but in the 3-4 full we've played, it seems Act I takes 4 rounds, while Acts II and III both go in two rounds each. Is Act I just intrensicly longer? Or when we get good will they all end up being about the same number of rounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrWeasely wrote:
We are new to the game, but in the 3-4 full we've played, it seems Act I takes 4 rounds, while Acts II and III both go in two rounds each. Is Act I just intrensicly longer? Or when we get good will they all end up being about the same number of rounds?

For a 3-4 player game, your figures seem a bit low. Without having counted, I would have thought that Stage 1 typically takes 6 turns or so; Stage 2 takes 3 turns or so; and Stage 3 usually takes 2 turns. If you play with 5 or 6 players, then Stage 3 will be shorter: often 0 or 1 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a close and exciting game, you typically don't want Step 3 lasting more than 2 turns or so. Step 3 is the 'reward phase' - if your planning was good earlier then you'll really reap the benefits here and hopefully take the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, the different Parts can take wildly varying lengths of turns. Part A may take up 90% of the game, while Era 2 takes up 9% and Section III takes up the remaining 1%. Usually whoever's best positioned themselves when entering Age the Third will get the victory, even if they are only second or third in Epoch Two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rooster Robinson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that when my crew first started playing we would fly through the game far faster than I assumed the "norm" would do. My group tends to be hell bent on building and getting cash, not so concerned with upgrading to big plants as early as possible. They blow through the 2-3 house plants making sure that every "get money" phase is bigger than the last. And sadly to say its worked for them because I always seem to be one house short of reaching the end of the game when I need to.

You can always tweak the rules to come up with the desired game length and whatnot, ie. change the Game End cites higher or don't take out as many plants as it says to.

~VONROO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience step 1 IS longer than step 2, which in turn is longer than step 3.

One factor not often considered is how often power plants are purchased.
If most players upgrade a factory each turn, the second step will be incredibly quick. The opposite is true when most turns have power plants for sale that are less effective than the ones you own.

If you manage to get larger power plants early in the game, you can spend your cash on buying cities and resources instead, and actually saving enough to buy only larger plants. In such cases where (by chance) the smaller power plants were discarded at game begin, the game can end with no step 3 at all - and very cheap resources to buy.

I hope that makes enough sense.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.