GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,973 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Legendary: Dark City» Forums » General

Subject: Is the expansion over-powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Stamper
United States
Spencer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I've seen some reviews and the expansion looks like both heroes and villains got more powerful. As someone who is only a casual Marvel fan (i.e. don't know many characters from the expansion) would it be worth it to buy? I'd be more interested in the base game heroes/masterminds for the most part, but would love to the option to add a few of the expansion guys in. Are the base game cards too weak for this set? Has anyone lost interested in the guys from the base game? I would think that most of the heroes from the base game SHOULD be more powerful than the expansion, but they may not be the case. Just wondering everyone's thoughts before I purchase, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Do you want 17 new heroes or not?

17!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely not. The game is very customizable anyway, the designer included several ways to make the game harder in the original set, and many people play with the cards like that. Further, the expansion rules provide new ways to make the game harder. It's often as simple as adding 1 or 2 to the power of the Mastermind, but in the Expansion, for example, it talks about doing things like drawing 2 villain cards every turn instead of just 1.

As for the heroes being more powerful, you really have to think of this game like a Marvel team-up: It's not about the individual heroes, it's about how they work together. The card interactions in this game are fantastic, and LDC just added a ton (A TON!!!!!!) more ways for cards to interact.

The game is fantastic, and the expansion just provides you with that many more options. Many characters from the expansion are some of the most recognizable characters in the Marvel universe:

Jean Grey, Professor X, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Colossus (maybe less so, but still was in a couple X-Men movies), Angel, a new Wolverine card, and then some. All of those characters have been in movies in the past 10 years.

To further add to my point: my wife doesn't know anything about comic books. She has seen some of the movies because I've watched them around her, but that's it. She LOVES the game, and she loves the expansion. She was excited because there were more female characters (Domino, Jean Grey, Elektra) and some other characters she recognized (Ghost Rider, Punisher, Colossus, Angel etc.). The game is just that much fun.

I hope you jump in on the fun!

Cheers!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nietzel
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The expansion has been an outstanding addition for me. I cannot recommend it enough. The base game is great, but I think the expansion is fantastic for the additions it gives to the schemes and Masterminds. While I love the heroes that have been added, I've found the the schemes and mastermind expansions to be the real jewels in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Stamper
United States
Spencer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Thanks, everyone. I guess my fear was that I wouldn't want to play the heroes from the base game anymore.

And Jacovis, I don't watch movies and I'm more of a DC reader which is why I only know a handful of characters from this set.

I'll probably get the set, which I assumed was going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion adds a lot to this game. I definitely recommend buying this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brault
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
joeyt wrote:
I would think that most of the heroes from the base game SHOULD be more powerful than the expansion, but they may not be the case.

Ideally, you'd have expansions roughly on the same power level as the base game. If the expansions become too strong, then having a core set hero is a disadvantage. If the expansions become too weak, it's pointless to buy them.

Overall, I'm very satisfied by this expansion. The masterminds, schemes and villains are harder than the base game, but the heroes are on par with them and the game still feels balanced on the whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Martin
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly the way legendary is setup it would be unlikely that any set ever would make an old set obsolete. its just adds more variation to the game. 17 new heroes that mix VERY well with any combination of the old heroes and new scheme twists and super villains it just adds more of a good thing really and detracts NOT AT ALL from the original product. and the expansion integrates seamlessly into the original product so its really done well. In fact that's my biggest concern with the DC deck building. It basically just going to be a bigger and bigger stack of cards that will inevitably have balance issues. i know its off the subject but i really think this game is designed better and plays smoother that its DC counter part, and im a fan of both universes so im not biased toward either one i just think this game is better designed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard? All I can tell you is that if you're playing solo vs. Kingpin don't try and rescue Baby Hope with Spidey, Elektra and Daredevil. 22 point loss.

I think the fun will be trying to find the best Team of 3 for solo play as it's a lot harder now (and more fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.