GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need a Miniatures Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Hello everyone. I feel my collection needs a good miniatures game. Here is my criteria:

1) The one problem I have with mini games is storage. I want all my stuff to fit into a nice game box that I can put on my shelf. So, no Heroscape with your large storage bins.

2) I don't even need the minis to be plastic figures. I'm perfectly fine with cards or tokens

3) It has to be a grid-based system. I don't want to measure things!

4) I would like it to play more than two players

5) Lots of variety in monsters!

6) The illustration must be nothing short of amazing! I love good artwork.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth
Dungeon Command: Heart of Cormyr
Mage Wars Arena
Summoner Wars
Chaos in the Old World
Cyclades
Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

These are all worth looking into. Dungeon Command might fit your criteria the best of the lot, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Santa
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mage Wars Arena
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes would work. It has rules for using a grid and is made to use whatever miniatures you want. It does not come with a board, but making one or finding a different game with one to use would not be too difficult. I know someone has posted about using the pieces from a hex and counter wargame with the SBH rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Is mage wars more focused on casting spells against your opponent than using your summons?

I played Summoner Wars and I enjoyed it; however, it left me wanting more. I wanted to play more monsters than the three basics and I wanted to do more interesting things on the board than simply move three spaces. I wanted more attack types and different terrain, almost like a war game but with fantasy monsters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn
Rules allow for up to 4 tp play, but I have only played with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Is mage wars more focused on casting spells against your opponent than using your summons?

I played Summoner Wars and I enjoyed it; however, it left me wanting more. I wanted to play more monsters than the three basics and I wanted to do more interesting things on the board than simply move three spaces. I wanted more attack types and different terrain, almost like a war game but with fantasy monsters!

There are mages that are more spell heavy or more creature heavy. There's less squares overall so I doubt there's much more in movement and you can add in terrain aspects, IIRC, but there isn't anything really there to begin with. If Fury of Harrows ever made it past its P500, it would be worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogdan Alexandru Barbu
Romania
Bucuresti
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars seems to fit several of your criteria. You can check the KS campaign going on right now http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars?....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
timlillig wrote:
Song of Blades and Heroes would work. It has rules for using a grid and is made to use whatever miniatures you want. It does not come with a board, but making one or finding a different game with one to use would not be too difficult. I know someone has posted about using the pieces from a hex and counter wargame with the SBH rules.

Isn't there a Song of Blade and Hero's mini's board game in the works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
As great as Mage Wars is, I think you might find Dungeon Command a better fit for what you are looking for. Grid-based miniatures combat with lots of unit variety (each of the five sets has around 10 different units each), plus card-driven elements reminiscent of M:TG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) if one vs many is your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Kemet. Fast and furious combat game! The monster minis are really cute and nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
timlillig wrote:

There is Armageddon Hour, which is a board game based on similar rules, but I do not know about any other boardgames form Ganesha Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have it, but haven't gotten a chance to give it a run, I'd say Claustrophobia

Also, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or any of the D&D board games.

ooohhh... and I can't forget Mice and Mystics, which has really awesome minis and a good story.

One thing I'm always curious about... in all these miniature game seeking threads, everyone mentions Myth right away. While it looks good (I do have it pre-ordered), it's also MONTHS away from being available. I understand enthusiasm, but no one knows if it will play well. I have high hopes, but it could fail. Not sure why everyone jumps to recommend that to someone who probably wants a game now, not in January (if we're lucky).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Command fits all 6 of your criteria, plus it's a blast to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Torn Armor was successfully kickstarted a little while ago and is due out before the end of the year. I backed it for many of the reasons you listed. Even though it's notout yet you might want to keep an eye out for it eventually. Until then I second the Dungeon Command suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run and Room 25 fill this niche of my gaming collection. I'm not a big miniatures person, but its nice to have a few games with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Helljin wrote:
timlillig wrote:

Not much information on it and its not really known how close to the SBH rules it will be. It's supposed to be based on Cthulhu and eventually show up on kickstarter though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.