GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,416 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

B-29 Superfortress» Forums » Sessions

Subject: We Regret to Inform You... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Gloria Swanson's inaugural run, she was tasked with coming in low over Tokyo to bomb the aircraft factory. Despite a little worry about coming in low over Tokyo, the new crew was going to have a Hellcat with them for cover, and since Tokyo was only in zone 11, they might have a little fuel buffer for making it back.

Everything started off well, just as they had practiced in flight school...well, maybe toward the end of school anyway. The takeoff went smoothly, the weather was good, and they entered formation without any problems. Overall, the trip over the water was uneventful - a couple of weather systems that ate up some extra fuel, but nothing to cause them any real issues.

They joined up with the Hellcat cover and they encountered an Oscar coming in at 12:00 high. However, he was a green pilot, and Baxter running the forward upper turret made short work of him, sending him down in flames.

Next they began their approach for their bombing run, the weather was good and the visibility excellent. It turns out that the flak was much heavier than was expected, and the first struck the Gloria's forward bomb bay. Since she had yet to release her load, the lucky shot struck the bombs and the plane exploded, killing all aboard.

Please observe a moment of silence for:
Pilot Michael Sweazey
Co-Pilot Michael Paulhus
Bombardier David McCain
Navigator Alan Davis
Engineer Mark Ritchie
Radio Operator Rod Rose
CFC Gunner Charles Baxter
Left Gunner Joey Ward
Right Gunner Richard Kemp
Radar Observer Steven Spivey
and Tail Gunner Robert Franklin

They gave their all in service to their country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
A little too realistic for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm thinking realistic is the name of the game. Had we made it through the first round, we might have made it, but we rolled for five hits - two superficial, the forward bomb bay, the port wing, and utility. So it would have been a hard road home.

I'm not sure how many of my friends want to be in my crews since I have a history of...questionable...dice rolling skills!

Time to put the call out for more "volunteers"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey W
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msweazey wrote:
I'm not sure how many of my friends want to be in my crews since I have a history of...questionable...dice rolling skills!

If your crews have as little luck as mine seem to in B-17, you might need this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19385/name-generator-x...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZootSaxIsMyAxe wrote:
msweazey wrote:

If your crews have as little luck as mine seem to in B-17, you might need this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/19385/name-generator-x...

LOL! You're right...even if I had enough friends to keep filling the crew with them, they'll start getting superstitious and refuse to be listed! I did offer condolences the next morning to my workmates on the plane. (They just gave me "that look".) 35 missions? How 'bout making it through one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.