Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have the rules handy at the moment, and just was able to peruse for a few minutes beforehand, but I have a question about the red start markers. what is the purpose of the second red circular thing (the first one is put on the major events on certain spots, depending on the number of players); what, though, is the purpose of the second one?

It says to only use if you're playing with 4. Is it merely to use as a second marker, or does it actually serve some other purpose?

This may be apparent once I am able to actually study the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Each auction shows five rewards, however when playing with fewer than five players you only use the first 3 or 4 going clockwise around the circle from the top. The second red marker is used to cover over the first unavailable option, thus operating as a visual aid for players to recognize what is available to be won in a given auction.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's what it sounded like. But shouldn't there be 3 markers then? Because you can play the game with 2 players, meaning that you'd have 3 spots that would have to be covered.

Or maybe there are 3 and I only got 2 in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the markers is used to indicate the start player. The start player marker changes possession at the end of each auction, and is awarded to the player who came in last in the auction.

As Octavian said, the other red marker is placed on the first unavailable auction symbol. So if there are only three players, then the marker is placed on the fourth auction symbol (counting clockwise). You simply do not consider any auction under or past this marker.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, it makes sense now. I was misunderstanding the purpose of the red disk. But after reading this and rereading the rules, its pretty simple. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I play this weekend.

Thanks much, everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
everlong205 wrote:
ok, it makes sense now. I was misunderstanding the purpose of the red disk. But after reading this and rereading the rules, its pretty simple. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I play this weekend.

Thanks much, everybody.

One more tip before you play - remember the rule that the first person to drop out in a non-gold clockwise auction becomes the new start player. This is pretty important for balance and was a rule that I overlooked the first couple playings.

Enjoy the game!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I usually overlook at least one rule when teaching the game for the first time and this looks like the one that seems to be overlooked a lot (based on the forums I've seen about this game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
everlong205 wrote:
that's what it sounded like. But shouldn't there be 3 markers then? Because you can play the game with 2 players, meaning that you'd have 3 spots that would have to be covered.

Or maybe there are 3 and I only got 2 in the box.
Spielfreak wrote:
One of the markers is used to indicate the start player. The start player marker changes possession at the end of each auction, and is awarded to the player who came in last in the auction.

As Octavian said, the other red marker is placed on the first unavailable auction symbol. So if there are only three players, then the marker is placed on the fourth auction symbol (counting clockwise). You simply do not consider any auction under or past this marker.

meeple

So in a 2p game, only the first 2 spots are available in each of the major episodes + if you're playing the treasure variant (you are NOT skipping over the episodes marked with a gold background)? You use a single red marker and place it on the 3rd spot going counter-clockwise to indicate that only the 1st two spots going clockwise from the top are available?

I suppose to make it even more clear for the 2p games, you can use the black discs numbered '5' and '4' by flipping them over blank side up to block out the other spots that won't be used (since you won't use them anyways if they're only that many players).

For 4p games, just use the black '5' wooden disc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

So in a 2p game, only the first 2 spots are available in each of the major episodes + if you're playing the treasure variant (you are NOT skipping over the episodes marked with a gold background)? You use a single red marker and place it on the 3rd spot going counter-clockwise to indicate that only the 1st two spots going clockwise from the top are available?

I suppose to make it even more clear for the 2p games, you can use the black discs numbered '5' and '4' by flipping them over blank side up to block out the other spots that won't be used (since you won't use them anyways if they're only that many players).

For 4p games, just use the black '5' wooden disc.

You are correct. I'd rather move around 1 marker than 3, but these ideas will work just fine.
TK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.