Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
While reading The Times archive for the first case, many of the stories sounded authentic. That is, they sounded like newspaper pieces did in the late 19th century, especially the birth and death notices. Therefore, I decided to check one of the death notices.

The second death notice on the first page of the 20 March paper reads: "On the 16th March, at Little Brickhill, near Bletchley, ASPHODEL, the beloved child of ALEXANDER and KATIE FINLAY, aged one year." I went to FreeBMD (http://www.freebmd.org.uk/), searched for an Asphodel Finlay who died in March 1888, and there she was, age 0, in the Newport Pagnell district, which includes Bletchley.

I suspect that many, if not most, of the stories in the archive are real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Anquetil
France
Toulon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are !
Times archives are quite easy to find and check :
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/archive/

The Times number is accurate too.

In my case, 95% of the stories are authentic (except some who are for the case).

The only thing which differ is that the real Times is 5 columns large and about 16 pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sommers
United States
Clinton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Asphodel's birth was registered in the second quarter of 1887, in the St George Hanover Square district, so she was born between February and June, inclusive. Alexander Finlay and Kate Burney married in the Westminster district between December 1881 and March 1882.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
The attention to detail and historical research and flavor in this game is freaking awesome. I love it.
Even down to the price of the newspaper, "3d."
I had no idea what it meant, so I had to look it up and learned that:
3d. = 3 pence, the d is derived from "denarius" which was the Roman silver coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: I am watching you... Day and night.Microbadge: I know what you did last login - I'm a Geekbuddy Stalker!Microbadge: I am watching you... Night and day.
Hm, so I can check which stories are not real thus probably important in the case?whistlewhistlewhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
bazyn wrote:
Hm, so I can check which stories are not real thus probably important in the case?whistlewhistlewhistle
Yeah, and you can also peek at the "How Sherlock Solves the Case" page too, really same difference, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Bazynski
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Microbadge: I am watching you... Day and night.Microbadge: I know what you did last login - I'm a Geekbuddy Stalker!Microbadge: I am watching you... Night and day.
JohnnyDollar wrote:
bazyn wrote:
Yeah, and you can also peek at the "How Sherlock Solves the Case" page too, really same difference, right?
Not really the same - I always play with my girlfriend - there is no way I can check the solution without her seeing it. On the other hand googling something so I can seem smart...

But yes, I'm just joking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls