Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished playing a 4 player game and my amazing come from behind win has been called in to question. I am looking for clarification and vindication.

I had the Shipping Contractor card that clearly states that for EVERY wood you sell in Old Providence you get 3 extra gold and "complete" the mission. I was a pirate and had 3 wood on board. My captains home port was Old Providence. There was the British Naval ship in Old Providence. So for 3 turns in a row on my turn I just opted to only do a port action and simply sold one Wood each time. So over 3 turns I was able to get 3 Glory point and stash my gold each time.

I have been told in order to claim victory I need Christian to validate my victory. If I am validated I would like the bitter bunny to walk to plank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you do three port actions? You only get one Glory Point when completing a mission or finding a rumor to be true...?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't seem to say that completing a mission makes you discard the card, which is odd because it's the way I expect them to work (and with this game, the way rules are expected to work is luckily the way they almost always do work). So IMHO your victory is not valid because you can only complete a mission once - the way I read the mission is you can get three additional gold whenever you want (because it's "you may then complete this mission", and completing the mission doesn't happen automatically when you sell wood), but you'll only gain the glory when you actually complete the mission (and thus discard it).

I tried to look it up in the online rulebook but it seems the new and improved Z-Man no longer posts rulebooks online? That made me very angry with them, and I wrote them an angry email telling them how angry I am...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The confusion seems to be that it says every time you sell wood you may complete this mission implies that it might have multiple use. It doesn't say to discard once you choose to complete.

I think the funny thing is the dispute wasn't about how we interpreted the card but how it was played. That I simply sold one wood at a time and didn't leave port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Behnke
Germany
flag msg tools
How can a mission be active and complete at the same time?

The mission allows you to sell your wood at plus 3 gold as long as you keep the mission active. After having sold wood you can complete this mission, which gives you the glory point. But completing a mission ends it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
See this answer by Christian

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10708300#10708300
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
"I love beautiful melodies telling me terrible things."
mbmbmbmbmb
Your bitter bunny is correct. You were wrong to take 3 mission points, as each mission can be completed only once (for 1 Glory Point).

That mission is different than others, as it allows the player to continue to benefit from it by selling wood for a higher value. At any time after selling wood though, the player with the mission can choose to complete it and get the Glory Point and Glory card. This would discard the mission and the player would no longer benefit from the increased sale price of wood.

The player can complete it immediately after selling in one port action, or he can sail around and collect more wood to sell again and retain the benefits of the mission before completing it. That player has the choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so to further confuse things I started looking through the Mission cards. There is a set of Mission that are Letters of Marque. At the end of each of these Mission cards it say "After defeating any ship you may DISCARD this card to complete the mission." On the card in question it reads "Every time you sell wood here you may complete this mission."

Most of the other mission cards say the the mission is "completed" or that by doing something it "completes" the mission. Now I am not saying that the intent of the card wasn't that you use the card to sell wood at a premium until you choose to cash it in, but based on how the card is written compared to the Marque missions it seems that if you play it as it is written that you could complete the mission more than once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
Okay so to further confuse things I started looking through the Mission cards. There is a set of Mission that are Letters of Marque. At the end of each of these Mission cards it say "After defeating any ship you may DISCARD this card to complete the mission." On the card in question it reads "Every time you sell wood here you may complete this mission."

Most of the other mission cards say the the mission is "completed" or that by doing something it "completes" the mission. Now I am not saying that the intent of the card wasn't that you use the card to sell wood at a premium until you choose to cash it in, but based on how the card is written compared to the Marque missions it seems that if you play it as it is written that you could complete the mission more than once.
I see this, linked two posts before yours, as an errata by the designer:

marqzen wrote:
thisaliensean wrote:
where do completed missions go? discarded or stay on the players board?
Discarded unless the card says otherwise.
Completed missions are discarded. Thus, you cannot complete a mission more than once. Rules lawyering can't get you by that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. After selling wood, you can choose to discard it to complete it. In that sense it is similar to the Letters of Marque missions, which are active to score extra Gold, until the point where you choose to complete the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neophitz
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
First of all I would call that a very weak and cheap win, but it is clearly not a win at all. You get 1 glory point for completing the mission regardless if you had the entire rain forest supply of wood. Perhaps if you had a set(testicles), you could have gone out into the sea zone and destroyed the naval ship for a winning glory point. At least you could have walked away from the game board with you head up!

Sorry I don't mean to be such an ass. Its just that I have a guy we play with and he pulls "weak" shit like that all the time. This game is awesome. I suggest next game you fly out of the gates as a merciless Pirate! Arrrrrarrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls