Mitko Simidchiev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
Video games though.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have these two questions that I need an opinion on:

1. Wording consistency on movement restrictions. Is there a difference between "opponents cannot switch sides with you" and "opponents cannot move past you?"

2. This question was raised some time ago but I do not recall a final ruling with the latest version of all cards being made - do "opponents cannot move" restrictions prevent them from being moved by others' effects?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1)

There's a difference because the "cannot switch sides with you" clause causes "Direct Movement" to fail

But the "opponents can't move past you" clause does not.

Otherwise, they're virtually the same.

2)

Cannot move and cannot be moved are 2 different things. That's my opinion. We'll have to wait for Brad's word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad gave word in another thread that your restrictions on opponents aren't meant to restrict you. I believe this came up with Pulse vs Kadath's traps.

Preventing an opponent's movement doesn't prevent them from being moved by you, only by them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
mnmkami wrote:
1)

There's a difference because the "cannot switch sides with you" clause causes "Direct Movement" to fail

But the "opponents can't move past you" clause does not.

Otherwise, they're virtually the same.
This is actually not true according to the rulebook. It's the intuitive conclusion, but a wrong one.
"All restrictions on movement still apply to Direct Movement (ex: “you cannot move past Eligor” would prevent the Direct Movement below)."
Followed by a picture of Shekhtur directly moving from one end of the board to the other one with Eligor in the middle.

alexmitko wrote:
1. Wording consistency on movement restrictions. Is there a difference between "opponents cannot switch sides with you" and "opponents cannot move past you?"
I checked all the available characters in the Devastation PnP and no character uses the wording "cannot switch sides with you". Maybe your answer lies right there.

In hindsight the effect probably should have been worded "opponents cannot switch sides with you". The only edge case where the result would be different should be Sagas' Shadow style. A direct movement was always like a teleport of sorts for me. In that sense the character would not "pass" the other one rather than appear behind him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
Hmmm, I actually just found that wording on Borneo...
And I checked Joal in the Devastation preview. I think this is just a relic and got cleaned up everywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
I got confirmation from Brad on the matter of movement restrictions. The restrictions apply to both parties. In case of "opponents cannot move past you", they can obviously not move past you by themselves but you also cannot pull them past yourself.
This applies to all kinds of cases, i.e. Ottavia cannot move the opponent with Snapback Grasp if she has higher priority.
So in general "move" always includes "be moved".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls