Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very intrigued by the concept of hidden goals, each of the players working towards their own objective in order to gain points or achieve a win condition. However, I'd like some advice from fellow BGG users as to what games provide this experience.

The two games I've played that have something along these lines are Ticket to Ride and Alien Frontiers with the Alien Frontiers: Factions expansion. I prefer the feeling I get from Factions because all the goals can be based on different aspects of the game, where as TTR everyone has the same type of hidden goals, routes, just with unknown destinations.

Other games I am aware of are Lords or Waterdeep and Yedo which, if I understand correctly, have quests in which you need to collect specific sets of resources or go to certain locations. I think the upcoming game of Xia: Legends of a Drift System also has something similar in the form of missions. Perhaps Cosmic Encounter and Archipelago fall in this category, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for.

I tried to do a BGG search, but I couldn't find an appropriate search category. I would also like a game that plays well with two.

Any advice on the titles mentioned would be appreciated. So far Yedo seems closest to what I have in mind, but perhaps there is something else I haven't considered?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two off the top of my head:

Suburbia and Fantastiqa.

I believe Suburbia has individual goals that builders try to accomplish that other players are not aware of. In Fantastiqa, there are common quests players try to finish, but you can choose to gain your own that are visible to others, but only you can complete them (and you really should finish them if you expect to win!). laugh

Tomorrow is coming out in a couple months or so and that one features hidden objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott MacMillan
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
I haven't had a chance to play it, but Discworld: Ankh-Morpork seems based around hidden win conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
I don't think you can count Cosmic Encounter, although it does have a few aliens with alternate winning conditions.

But Discworld:Ankh-Morpork features a hidden winning condition for each player, with five different ones (3 of the 8 cards have the same area control condition).

If you want to broaden the search to hidden traitor games, I can list many from our collection. But most of those fall under your "different goals of the same type". However, the Cylon Leader agendas of Battlestar Galactica: Pegasus Expansion could be counted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United Kingdom
Irthlingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of waterdeep isn't solely based on your hidden personality, you can win without making use of your hidden personality. It's just a way of getting bonus points at game end that may tip things in your favour.

I agree with the above poster, BSG has hidden cylon leader objectives. It also has personal objectives for non-cylons to complete that won't win you the game but could lose it at the very end.

Discworld: Ankh Morpork is a nice game that utilizes the hidden objective mechanic very well and I'd highly recommend it. Some people feel it can be too random however.

Clash of Cultures also has hidden objective cards that you can complete throughout the game to score extra victory points. Though not the sole method for winning they do help a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are spot on with Yedo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
On the lighter side, you have Shadow Hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masons

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about Troyes. In the beginning of the game, each player is given a secret family card, where only you can look at. When the game ends, all players reveal their family card, and interestingly enough, all players will score/get points for every single family card. So while the game is in progress, you're trying to figure out what family card each player has based on what they're focusing.

I only played Takenoko once, but I think that game has secret objective cards as well. The difference is, objective card is fulfilled while playing the game, rather than scoring them at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Earth Reborn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
A few more examples of games with hidden objectives that give you points:

Isla Dorada
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Takenoko
Nexus Ops

It's a pretty diverse group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Finn
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Metropolys has hidden goals, though not many different ones. I think it plays better with 3 than 2, though 2 is not too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a LOTR fan, I would highly recommend the game Middle-earth Quest. This is an asymmetrical game where the shadow forces controlled by one player has a secret objective and the opposing collective earth forces have not only a group objective, but individual ones as well. Great game with unique card mechanic like Mage Knight where your cards are your life, movement and attacks/defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I think you are spot on with Yedo.
Agreed.

Another game to consider is Keyflower. Everyone is given a few hidden scoring tiles at the beginning of the game which you can use to layout out your strategy. In the last round, everyone choses which hidden tiles (if any? I can't remember) to enter in the final auction phase. It scales well from 2+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkognito
it has a hidden goal, but your first goal is to find out who is your partner in crime. Then, and only then, can you figure out what your goal is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Seymour
United States
Maynard
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrononauts is good if youre looking for a light card game with that style of gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great responses so far. Lots of interesting titles to look into, several of which I had not heard of before, like Mason.

I am not exclusively interested hidden end of game scoring goal - hidden objectives revealed during the course of the game as conditions are met are also of interest to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schoeters
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I play the AdmiralMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: I love Antwerp
ScottMacM wrote:
I haven't had a chance to play it, but Discworld: Ankh-Morpork seems based around hidden win conditions.
+1 to this. Discworld is a very nice game on that front, that's very easy to learn as well. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Archipelago, which has hidden victory conditions for each player, plus a shared victory condition against which all players may score.

Archipelago also includes a potential traitor mechanic, as one player's hidden victory condition could be to cause a rebellion which results in a victory for the traitor and a loss for everybody else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schoeters
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I play the AdmiralMicrobadge: Star Wars: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: I love Antwerp
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
I highly recommend Archipelago, which has hidden victory conditions for each player, plus a shared victory condition against which all players may score.

Archipelago also includes a potential traitor mechanic, as one player's hidden victory condition could be to cause a rebellion which results in a victory for the traitor and a loss for everybody else.
That is a rather complex game though, witha lot going on at the same time. Would you recommend it as a starter in that genre? Asking out of personal curiousity here, as I've been thinking about getting it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "TAKE SIX MEAT DAMAGE, FROWNY EURODUDE!"Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fan Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Ohio UniversityMicrobadge: Suburbia fan
Suburbia! Suburbia! Suburbia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Oh yeah, I also forgot about the relatively new Goblins, Inc.! This one is kind of interesting because you get new goals every turn and they are often opposed to what your teammate has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia has hidden goals, but the way they're are implemented is not good/interesting. Goals are totally random and have almost no effect for other players. They decide the game often at the end, but they are not "felt" during the game.
They way the hidden goals are implemented, is very "cheap", you can do it yourself easily in almost any game. Just deal hidden goals in Dominion e.g., one player gets 10 extra VP if he has the most silver coins or whatever....

Egizia has also hidden goals, which and on which influence is slightly higher than in suburbia.

Games win which the hidden goals are really in the focus of the game are the classic Risk of course.

And Vernissage.
You secretly buy works of painters, and players can all influence if an artist is "in" or "out" and how much his works will earn at the end...

Then there's Kremlin, where you secretly place influence on politicians at the beginning, and can partly lay it open to take control over that person (and take his actions) in the game, but you can never be shure, that not someone else hads more influennce, keeping it hidden...You try to get "your" guys in the top positions...

That are the ones which come to my mind now. I'm shure there are more...

Hidden goals par excellence you find in games like Das Kopflose Dinner: Die Verlobungsfeier and other dinner crime games. But these are not normal board games any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love deep games, the time commitment to both learn and play them is usually more than my husband can handle. It looks like a fascinating game, but I didn't know enough about it to know how close it was to my criteria. However, if I can't get it to the table, it isn't going to work.

I do really enjoy BSG, but the friends we usually play that with just had a baby, so I don't think I'll get to play that too much either.

I'll give Archipelago another look, and will certainly give it a try if the opportunity presents itself.

freauxzen wrote:
cyakobch wrote:
Perhaps Cosmic Encounter and Archipelago fall in this category, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for.

What keeps you from Archipelago? In terms of very good and deep games with hidden objectives, I would probably put it behind only BSG. It is fantastic and has a lot of interesting mechanics in terms of the hidden information (and some good official variants around it as well).

BSG, well it's BSG, nuff said.

+1 to Keyflower as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls