Subject: Fistellavates, a bluffing and set-building game for two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Brady
United States
Port Jefferson
New York
flag msg tools
A set building game inspired by Yomi (Sirlin Games) and Gin Rummy.

You can find it over at http://wiki.decktet.com/game:fistellavates.

I would love feedback, especially on the (not well tested) 3-player variant and impressions from anyone who has read the rules (if anything is difficult to understand, confusing, or not fully explained).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
Microbadge: Tails fanMicrobadge: Spyfall fanMicrobadge: TranslatorMicrobadge: Decktet fanMicrobadge: Copper Crafter: I have crafted 5 PnP games
Could you please move the turn order higher, right under the game board picture? =)

Can you Correct using cards from your other bundles and not using any cards from your hand?

Erm... The name looks quite confusing to me. =) Fancy, but so is Navia Dratp, and it slightly scares rookies off.

I like the hypothesis rule: "You must make a prediction that involves all the names of the cards in one of the bundles". =)
I am really inclined to also permit semi-mentions of the cards, as in The Author is a man skilled both with pen and with sword who stings with both.

Is the target of the guess task to earn the least of burden points with your bundles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Brady
United States
Port Jefferson
New York
flag msg tools
Excellent! This is precisely the kind of feedback I need. Thank you both for reading over the rules, I will try to respond to each of your questions in turn.

louper wrote:
When describing Trend bundles, why do you need to say that each consecutive card shares at least one suit with the card after it? It would seem to me (not having played) that just saying each card must share a suit with the card before it is sufficient.
Good point, that paragraph is now half a sentence shorter.

louper wrote:
Also, it wasn't clear from the written rules that "ascending rank" meant consecutive, i.e., that you aren't allowed to skip numbers. One of your examples, the 6-7-9, makes it clear, but the text doesn't. I'd include the word "consecutive" there.
"Ascending rank" changed to "consecutive rank."

louper wrote:
The rest of it, honestly, is just a tad too confusing for me to just sit and read and comprehend it, and my Decktet doesn't get a lot of play. (I'm not saying the rules are poorly written or confusing, but I'd need to play it with someone to really get it.)

I'm intrigued, though - looks interesting!
Sadly, this does not surprise me. The game relies heavily on two mechanisms --Gin Rummy style set collection and Yomi style "weighted" rock-paper-scissors mechanisms-- that are difficult to visualize in the abstract. It should get easier to think about once you have played a couple games and start to understand the relationships between your various options.

Thanks for your feedback, louper! If you do get a chance to play the game, or think of something else, let me know what you think.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Could you please move the turn order higher, right under the game board picture? =)
Changed the order around. Let me know if reads better for you or not. Order of exposition is always difficult for me.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Can you Correct using cards from your other bundles and not using any cards from your hand?
No. I added a sentence to the section on corrections that should make that more clear.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Erm... The name looks quite confusing to me. =) Fancy, but so is Navia Dratp, and it slightly scares rookies off.
I am awful at coming up with names for things. This one I wanted to be easy to search for ("Astrologers" was my first pass, but decided against it because that would never be found by a search engine) and perhaps fit in with the names of other Decktet games (which all seem to be rather silly and off-putting). Feel free to call it something that feels more natural to you.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
I like the hypothesis rule: "You must make a prediction that involves all the names of the cards in one of the bundles". =)
I am really inclined to also permit semi-mentions of the cards, as in The Author is a man skilled both with pen and with sword who stings with both.
Hehehe. Honestly, this rule is just there to help sell the fluff, and perhaps to draw attention to the wonderful names and artwork on every Decktet card. So go nuts with it - whatever makes you feel astrologer-y.

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Is the target of the guess task to earn the least of burden points with your bundles?
Yes. I added a sentence to the overview that should (hopefully) make this more clear. I also tried to use the terms "value" and "score" in different contexts (you want to reduce your value, but increase your score).

Thanks for the comments, MyOtheHedgeFox. If you get a chance to play the game, or think of anything else, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
Microbadge: Tails fanMicrobadge: Spyfall fanMicrobadge: TranslatorMicrobadge: Decktet fanMicrobadge: Copper Crafter: I have crafted 5 PnP games
FateTriarrii wrote:
Excellent! This is precisely the kind of feedback I need. Thank you both for reading over the rules, I will try to respond to each of your questions in turn.
You are welcome. =) I will also be pleased if you look at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/943769/wip-needs-playtesting.... =)

FateTriarrii wrote:

louper wrote:
The rest of it, honestly, is just a tad too confusing for me to just sit and read and comprehend it, and my Decktet doesn't get a lot of play. (I'm not saying the rules are poorly written or confusing, but I'd need to play it with someone to really get it.)

I'm intrigued, though - looks interesting!
Sadly, this does not surprise me. The game relies heavily on two mechanisms --Gin Rummy style set collection and Yomi style "weighted" rock-paper-scissors mechanisms-- that are difficult to visualize in the abstract. It should get easier to think about once you have played a couple games and start to understand the relationships between your various options.
Well, you can simplify a lot of things. =) For a game, there usually must be a short, at most three-syllables long name. Poker, Bridge, Chancellors, Gin Rummy... Fis-tel-la-va-tes. 0.o
Besides, the terms used in the game can also be easier. If their task is to see further, then...

The points by which you compare the hands can be called Clouds or Mist (they cloud your vision). Calling them just points makes it instinctive to earn them -- call them something else to make people read twice about them.

The second step during the game turn might be dedicated to how people tell you are a good thaumaturge. By seeing smoke and mirrors of yours.)
Monday Begins On Saturday by Arkadiy and Boris Strugatskiy wrote:
The fact is that the most fascinating and elegant scientific results quite often have the characteristic of appearing... dully incomprehensible to the uninitiated. Today, people far removed from science expect miracles and only miracles from it, and are functionally incapable of distinguishing a true miracle from a trick or some intellectual somersault.
The science of thaumaturgy and spell-craft is no exception. Many are capable of organizing a convention of famous ghosts in a TV studio, or boring a hole in a foot-and-a-half concrete wall with their sight, and nobody needs this, but it can drive the venerable public into fits of ecstasy, since the croud is incapable of visualizing to what extent modern science has intertwined and intermixed the concepts of reality with those of fairy tales. But try instead to find the profound inner relationship between drilling abilities of one's sight and philological properties of the word "concrete". Try to solve this small particular problem, known as Auers' Great Problem! It was solved by Oira-Oira, who created the Theory of Fantastic Commonality and laid down the framework for an entirely new field of mathematical magic. Nevertheless, almost no one heard of Oira-Oira, while everyone was fully informed about Professor Vibegallo.
In game terms, Vibegallo spent a lot of powerful cards during the second stage and did the fanciest tricks to be given the opportunity to speak first, while Oira-Oira spent a lot of time and strength doing the invisible work during the next stages.
It is not planning: it is "showing off" and spending your strength on it. =)

Suggesting can be renamed as Dedicating. You spend some time to investigate something.

The Trend might become something connected with telling a story. Something less scientific, but allowing chances.

The Hypothesis might be a Glimpse.
The Proof might be a Vision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Brady
United States
Port Jefferson
New York
flag msg tools
I have tried calling the point-value of the cards "unexplained omens." Hopefully that will help to clarify the difference between scoring points to win the session, and keeping your value (or "unexplained omens") low.

I have also updated the scoring (doubled the bonus for winning when you end the game, and doubled the point goal). Not a big change, but it should make the game less random and more skillfull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls