Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The long awaited rematch is about to begin! This will be a two player Druid Nights scenario. One of the heroes will be played by David desJardins, acting alone. The other hero will be played by a team of four experts: pabula, Boarass, GreedyAlgorithm, and delewobmesid. To make things even tougher for Dave, the team will also be receiving advice from the general public in the discussion thread.

The point of this PBF game will be to play a game of 2-player Mage Knight in a public forum, that will be interesting and instructive to all. The cards held by the team will be public knowledge to everyone in the world except for the one opponent. Strategy discussion of the plays of the team will be encouraged. Any team member and any spectator is welcome to suggest possible plays for the team in the discussion thread. Here is how it will work:

For each round, a different team member will be designated to be the Team Captain, for that round only. The Team Captain will make all final decisions during each round.

There will be 2 threads; the game thread (this thread) and the discussion thread. The game thread will be for the posting of official orders by the Team Captains, and by Dave. The game thread will contain the current game state, updated by myself as often as possible. No posts containing orders should ever be edited in the game thread. If a poster makes a mistake, he should submit a new post to correct it. If Dave or a Team Captain posts "End of Turn" in the game thread, no reverts will be allowed. If it is the last turn in the round, and Dave or the team forgot to spend an Illusionist to get a white crystal, then that is just too bad! No white crystal! Only Dave and the current Team Captain are allowed to post orders on the game thread, and their decisions will be considered final once new information is revealed, or once they post "end of turn", or otherwise "pass priority" to the opponent.

The discussion thread will contain all information known to the team. Dave has agreed that he will not read the discussion thread until after the game is over. It will be on the honor system; I am 100% confident that Dave will not cheat. The cards held by Dave will be geek mailed to him privately. The cards held by the team will be posted to the discussion thread. Team Captains are encouraged to seek the advice of team members and the general public, and to discuss strategy in the discussion thread, but no where else. This way, the teams' hand will be kept secret from Dave.

The scenario is 2-player Druid Nights, PvP allowed, with random tile orientation. Marks on glades may be erased. 2 heroes will be chosen randomly, then heroes will be auctioned between those two.

When we played this format 7 months ago, Dave bid first in the auction, and the team had the first choice of tactic. Therefore, this time the team will bid first in the auction, and Dave will have the first choice of tactic.

The Team Captains also need to decide who is going to be in charge for each round. Guy will be going on a trip in about 2 weeks, so my suggestion is that he be the Round 1 Team Captain. Hopefully, this is okay with the team. Team members should post here (or in the discussion thread) and agree who will be the round 2, 3, and 4 Team Captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is that tile explorations and card draws be done by me. Players may roll for their own monsters, and may reroll the source themselves. The Mage Knight dice are okay, but I think the dice look cooler if you use this: 1custom6{iid:1197625;iid:1197624;iid:1197623;iid:1197622;iid:1197621;iid:1197620}
Copy and paste the above string into the geekroller, and add a comment so the string does not show up in your post.

The two available heroes are: 5custom5{Arythea;Goldyx;Norowas;Tovak;Wolfhawk} -> ( Arythea Norowas Tovak Norowas Tovak) -> ( Arythea Norowas Tovak Norowas Tovak)
Once the team decides who is the Team Captain for each round, the round one Team Captain can start the auction by bidding zero on a hero of his choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 390963. MikePustilnik
  • 5custom5{Arythea;Goldyx;Norowas;Tovak;Wolfhawk} =
  • ( Arythea Norowas Tovak Norowas Tovak) =
  • ( Arythea Norowas Tovak Norowas Tovak)
  • Mon Jul 1, 2013 5:10 pm
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arythea and Norowas are the two heroes available for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The team has chosen its captains:

Round 1 Captain: GreedyAlgorithm
Round 2 Kapitan: Pabula
Round 3 Captain: Boarass
Round 4 Captain: Delewobmesid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team bids 0 for Arythea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Norowas; that's no secret. Considering my bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
What bid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
What bid?
Clearly, Dave is considering whether to bid 1 for Arythea or to take Norowas.

Oh, and welcome to the game, Dave, and good luck!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I guess that sentence would be clearer with a subject as well as a verb. I am considering my bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be out for 5-7 hours. The map and spreadheet are ready. If the hero auction is complete when I return, I will send the cards, and post the map and spreadsheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay. Just getting oriented. I will bid 1 for Arythea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Team passes and takes Norowas for 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DaviddesJ is

The team is

First to select a tactic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Arythea takes Mana Steal (red die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on if or how I should record what I'm thinking during the game? Maybe the best thing would be to just take notes on my decisions and wait to post them all at the end of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could post a new thread, but that's a lot of unnecessary trust. You could GM to Mike, but that's not much better than taking notes. Actually you could GM to Mike and he could make placeholder posts in this thread for your strategy notes to be edited in later, that would be fairly cool.

...or you could make placeholder posts.

Edit: although maybe placeholder posts are an information leak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure a placeholder would serve any purpose that couldn't equally be served by just editing (later) the posts that contain my actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could just post spoilers, and trust your opponents that they are as fair as you, and that spectators don't talk about them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Choose #2: Rethink for 3 cards (GMing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should see the cards you discard, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following cards were discarded (and then shuffled back in after drawing new cards)
Rejuvenate
Noble Manners
Rage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I should see the cards you discard, right?
Oh, that's how that's implemented. Whoops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The common rule seems to be, I can view your cards in your discard pile, between the time you discard them and when you reshuffle.

Re: Discard pile quesiton

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The information from Rethink isn't that useful other than indicating what wasn't wanted from this hand. It doesn't give any meaningful information other than those three cards won't be part of the initial hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
The information from Rethink isn't that useful other than indicating what wasn't wanted from this hand. It doesn't give any meaningful information other than those three cards won't be part of the initial hand.
It says a lot about what your other two cards probably are (or aren't). I have no idea if that will be useful, though. For all I know, you'll play all five cards on your first turn, in which case it's completely irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |