Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do not discuss anything in this thread outside this thread!

This thread is for the discussion of strategy to help the team beat David desJardins in LL PBF6. Any Team Captain and any spectator is welcome to post on this thread and make suggestions. Dave has agreed not to read this thread until the game is over. This thread will contain all information known to the Team Captains. This thread will also contain map and spreadsheet updates.

Anything a Team Captain posts here will not count as an official order, just a suggestion up for discussion. The one exception to this is when a Team Captain selects an artifact.

Advice from spectators on how to help the team win are encouraged!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Team Captain foom Poland ready for action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not picky about which which team captain takes which round. Looking forward to the mindmeld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12728982#12728982

Team chooses between Arythea and Norowas
I say we bid zero on Arythea and if David bids greater than our zero he can have her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be fun! I think I should go first. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12728982#12728982

Team chooses between Arythea and Norowas
I say we bid zero on Arythea and if David bids greater than our zero he can have her.
I'm cool with that. I like Norowas quite a bit, I'd be sad to take Arythea and -2 Fame. I'd be okay with Arythea and -1 Fame, but I'd rather play with Norowas. And Arythea with 0 Fame is probably just better.

How do you feel about Norowas, Boarass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
both heroes are fine; the objective is to play to David's 'faults'; he loves to attack and Arythea's skills are move geared toward this. If we can get him to start at a penalty all the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since we played with David. He might have changed his preferences
But I also think we should choose Arythea, and if David bids 1, we should skip and take Norowas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do love Norowas. But since this is a wedge map, he's less likely to be able to procure a unit in Round 1, and a Norowas with no Round 1 unit is essentially a vanilla mage knight with no upgraded basic cards. (The one exception is the possibility of getting use from Rejuvenate with a green token or crystal.)

I don't care which round I am captain in.

I agree with the above that we should bid 0 on Arythea and let David have her if he bids 1. I frankly don't think bidding 1 is ever worth it, but perhaps we could bait him. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boarass wrote:
I do love Norowas. But since this is a wedge map, he's less likely to be able to procure a unit in Round 1, and a Norowas with no Round 1 unit is essentially a vanilla mage knight with no upgraded basic cards. (The one exception is the possibility of getting use from Rejuvenate with a green token or crystal.)

I don't care which round I am captain in.

I agree with the above that we should bid 0 on Arythea and let David have her if he bids 1. I frankly don't think bidding 1 is ever worth it, but perhaps we could bait him. devil
I'm fine with Guy being captain for day 1;

As none of the rest of us have a preference which round we'll be captain for let's roll for it.

Rolling for Rounds 2,3,4 in order 4custom3{Boarass;pabula;delewobmesid} -> ( pabula Boarass delewobmesid pabula) -> ( pabula Boarass delewobmesid pabula)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 391041. delewobmesid
  • 4custom3{Boarass;pabula;delewobmesid} =
  • ( pabula Boarass delewobmesid pabula) =
  • ( pabula Boarass delewobmesid pabula)
  • Rolling for Rounds 2,3,4 in order
  • Mon Jul 1, 2013 7:40 pm
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As we are playing with random tile orientation, we can throw expectations on placement of resources out the window. As there are 6 tiles with magic glades, only 2 countryside tiles will be completely unexpected.

We have 3 captains agreeing that we should bid zero for Arythea and pass if David bids 1, so I believe this is the route we should go.

Round 1 Captain: GreedyAlgorithm
Round 2 Captain: Pabula
Round 3 Captain: Boarass
Round 4 Captain: Delewobmesid

Guy, as your the Captain for round 1, post the opening bid when you have a moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious.. Whats the deal with this guy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David didn't change his style
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
David didn't change his style
"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise." (Edward Norton in Fight Club)

When you can, play the player vs play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David desJardins is a national treasure. His casual rudeness, followed by his seemingly genuine befuddlement that anyone would take his remarks as rude, is a beauteous thing that takes effort and perseverance to appreciate, like a fine wine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or a stinky cheese with a fine whine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ is

The team is

First to select a tactic:

Norowas' hand:

Rejuvenate
Swiftness
Noble Manners
Improvisation
Rage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Familiars are one of my favorite silver units. The Utem Guardsmen also look nice.

Rethink would let us save rejuvenate and rage for a better turn and get some movement to reach the village/glade to recruit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David is going North - there is a faster level up for him.
I also think Rethink is best now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The glade would be best to sit on. That orc is the only available leveling orc. What do you think about taking 1. if David takes 2. and otherwise taking 2. to go before him, unless he takes 6. in which case we take 5.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We should definitely start before him.
Great Start is great too, but D. will not take Right Moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless David drew no movement, I think he'd be crazy not to take Early bird. That village in the plain, right below the glade, right next to the ironclads, which can be blocked by the guardsmen, which can be recruited in the village ... it's just the only good place to go to on this map!

We have to go before him if he allows us the opportunity. If he doesn't ... bleh. I'd be inclined to just take Planning and crawl after him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good question. In the likely event that David takes #1, what should we go for? He will very likely be going either to the village or the glade. If the glade, then going to the north village to hire the Guardsmen is pretty strong. For that we'd want either Rethink (Rejuvenate + Rage?), Mana Steal (red or white are both strong) (this one's good for restricting David's mana, too!), Planning, or The Right Moment (good for threatening in PvP. So... anything but Great Start has arguments for it?

I don't think The Right Moment is good enough, there's no good reason to think we'll restrict his options enough. I feel like Planning is weak, but I'm not sure where the intuition is coming from. Mana Steal (red) feels strong. Rethink drawing Move is better, but we may well not draw Move.

Weak vote for Mana Steal (red).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we have move 7 in hand (red + improvisation + swiftness) The problem is we'd want to hold onto noble manners to recruit with. If we Rethink Rage, Rejuvenate, swiftness there is high odds of drawing enough movement to reach the glade nw,ne,ne where we can recruit the magic familiar on a later turn. If David goes for the glade, we can still reach the village nw,ne and recruit the guardsmen.

going into the swamp is a non starter as frost bridge is not available.

we'll see what david takes, but I think the 'only' choice is to head nw,ne to village and recruit or nw,ne,ne and hire magic familiar on the following turn.

We go before David is he lets us, otherwise I'm still going to vote for rethink so rage will be around when we need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I like that plan a lot. If David goes to the village, we go to the glade. If he goes to the glade, we go to the village.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |