Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the game is hard, especially the early turns.

1) Tactics is a difficult deck to run because of the low questing ability. Choose a hero from another sphere with good questing to make it easier.
2) You can have more than one of the same location in play at the same time.
3) Try to build up an army of allies to help out with questing and defending. Make about 50% of your deck be allies.
4) You can play 30 card decks to make it easier and then move up to 50 once you see some of the tricks and you feel more confident.
5) If you didn't get your strongest cards in your starting hand, you can take a mulligan and draw 6 new cards to start. It's very important to start with good cards.

Strongly suggest watching some of the videos on here/Youtube to see how other people play against the same quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
3 times now and we lost each one
Come back when the number is 15 and we'll talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always try Easy mode as you develop strategies for the game. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/suppo...

Regardless, I would encourage you not to give up! (Assuming you enjoy the game and theme.) I played the first scenario more than 10 times, and lost over and over again. I've never been a collectible card player, and so did not have any understanding how to build a "good" deck, or even how to play through in a skilled way.

I will always remember the first time I won the Mirkwood scenario. Truly epic!

Now I am much more practiced and understand better how to adapt my style and deck for each scenario, whether or not I lose terrible the first time.

Good luck!
T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
Microbadge: I print my own components.Microbadge: AH LCG - The SurvivorMicrobadge: Puzzle fanMicrobadge: Escape Room fanMicrobadge: Meeple Nation Podcast fan - villager
I lost the first three games, and I liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I've never made a monosphere deck, personally; I would always recommend at least two spheres. That said, many people have had great success with every number of Spheres from 1 to 4, so make your own way and don't be afraid of making a rubbish deck on your way to a boss one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Come back when the number is 15 and we'll talk.
Sounds about right. I've played 20 games of the first scenario with the four core decks (all solo, five with each deck), and won four in total (two each with Spirit and Lore) - I'm just getting started deck-building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:

What I can see so far, is that with the Tactics deck we cannot go further in the Quest phase, because of the many locations present. (Can a location be on the table twice? Eg. 2 Necromancers pass?)
With Willpower deck the enemy crushes me.
Yes, twice or more.

Quote:
In battle, I have to assign a defender, whereas the enemy can attack and defend at the same time?
Yes, you can only do one thing before becoming exhausted, the enemy can both attack and defend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Sharpe
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Is it worth to mix the different spheres?
Definitely. In fact, you'll almost always want to make a two-sphere deck so that you can combine e.g. quest capability with combat power. And once you start winning, you'll find that each new quest requires a different combination of abilities.

Personally I'd consider use of either mono-sphere or tri-sphere decks to be something to do to challenge yourself when you feel you've mastered the game.
- Monosphere is tough because each sphere has limitations, particularly if you have limited expansions available.
- Tri-sphere is hard because you can't generate sufficient resources to play anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kuchar
Germany
M├╝nchen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tri-Sphere are the strongest solo-decks imo. My most efficient decks have always been tri-sphere so far. Usually Lore-Spirit-Leadership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agus Prajogo
Indonesia
Malang
East Java
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
Hello!

We have tried LOTR LCG 3 times now and we lost each one. I wonder why? We have built 50 card tournament decks. Are we permitted to build 30 card decks?

Is this game truly this hard, or am I playing something wrong?
Do you play with Core Set only or with some Adventure Packs?

It could be difficult if you play only with Core Set but it gets easier when you use cards from Adventure Packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:

Is it worth to mix the different spheres?
Yeas definitely! It is very hard to make good (read impossible) to make good 50 card single sphere deck from pure core cards.
It is possible with two spheres.
Try putting together one or two heroes from spirit to allow enough questing power and allow the use of Northern tracker to get rid of those "nasty locations" and use one or two heroes from tactic to kill those big monsters. Other combinations are posible (and very powerfull) but these would allow you to get started!
I did make two speheres decks to my sisters son with only one core and one Hobbit expansion. I did make two 40-45 cards deck and they worked guite nicely (so below 50 cards was a "must" with so little card pool. Second core or another Hobbit expansion would have alloved us to have two good 50 cards deck (second core set would not harm neither...)
Those Northern trackers are so usefull that having 4 of them is guite usefull (3 in two spirit hero deck and one in one spirit hero deck if playing with another person. Allso teachery card avoidance improve a lot with second core set...)
He played with tacktic leadership deck with 46 cards in it. I played with Spirit and lore deck with 43 cards and used easy mode to beat down the first Hobbit expansio scenario. It was fun ride!
For solo play the spirit is essential for those locations only...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
"Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one."
mbmbmbmbmb
Conversely, I won my first game and have been murdered every single time since.

It's a fantastic solo game; I can't wait for the first cycle expansions to get reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls