GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Magic Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Announcing the 3rd (to my knowlege) BGG Realmspeak Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the itch again, so I'm hosting a new game for anybody interested in exploring the realm with folks on the Geek. Here's the details:

* Using v1.1.2 of Realmspeak
** Server - turtle666.dyndns.org
** Port - 47474
** Password - bgg03

* We'll be using the following optional rules in a standard 4-week game:
** Grudges and Gratitudes
** Knights Adjustment
** Watchful Natives
** Caching
** Dropping and Losing Belongings

I've got the game server running right now; feel free to log in and create your character (limit one character per player, please). The server will be left on 24-7 until the game ends. I'll be actually starting the game (pressing the Go button) in three days (on the fourth); first come first serve as far as which character you can play. I'll be creating a separate thread in the PBF forum for keeping track of the game.

If you've never played a Realmspeak game over the internet like this, here's what to expect:
* We'll probably be getting people from around the globe, so lots of different update times. Check in to the server at least once a day, and keep an eye on the forum for reminder posts to certain players
* Realmspeak can be... buggy, as far as network connectivity goes. It's entirely possible that we may have to restart certain days and that we'll have problems getting the game going (once it's going it's fairly stable). Please be patient.
* Things run smoothly when you're doing stuff with no other characters. However, when you've got combat or trades that involve other characters, things slow down big-time. If you're in a combat with other characters, all involved parties should agree on a time that they all can be online at the same time so that the combat won't take weeks (!) to resolve.
* Expect about one or two days of real time per day in the Realm; please refer to the note about patience.
* IT'S CRAZY FUN!!! The more people we can get playing, the better. Newbies welcome, alliances/scheming encouraged devil

That's it. If you have any problems connecting to my server, please let me know on this thread. Good luck!

EDIT: PBF forum thread is here. Also, just to be clear about one character per player: if you die, you can of course rejoin with a new character.

EDIT2: If you're a non-spellcaster and you don't anticipate doing anything during most evening phases, uncheck the Daily Combat checkbox for your character. It helps things move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Walsh
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hoc Spatium Mercede
badge
This is another fine mess you've gotten us into.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Michael,

Thanks for doing this. I've connected and set up as the Magician, but as this is my first Realmspeak game using a server I have a question: do I need to stay connected or can I quit the server and reconnect with my position intact?

Thanks,

Pete (the Magician)

EDIT: I tested it out and got my answer: no need to stay connected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, exactly. Players will log on and off throughout. The Character List will show each player's current status and whether they have anything to do.

Welcome to the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What level of MR experience are you looking for? I've played solo, but it's been awhile and I never fully grasped the strategy. Is this game okay for a relative newbie?

Nevermind...just reread and noticed this:
Quote:
* IT'S CRAZY FUN!!! The more people we can get playing, the better. Newbies welcome, alliances/scheming encouraged

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, feel free to join and ask questions. It's a completely different experience played with multiple people...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in if there a slot (and non-finger-wagger character) still available when I get home from work!

And I'm *definitely* a newb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Forrester
United States
Arlington
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just signed up as the Berserker!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, took the White Knight.

Definitely looking forward to this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In as the mass murderer Sorceror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
I've downloaded java yet Realmspeak, when I doubleclick run.bat, says I don't have javaw. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix?

EDIT: Never mind, found the download correction of the batch files in the Magic Realm download section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amazon has arrived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Druid in.

I see some people put passwords on. I hope you share them with the host. The benefits of burning through those phases where you didn't intend to actually do anything seems to outweigh risking a lack of honor on the other player's parts for sneaking a peak at your loot.

I understand it. But I just remember things getting really hung up when players aren't around for a combat phase that they didn't mean to participate in but RealmSpeak is still asking them if they want to do stuff every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
Druid in.

I see some people put passwords on. I hope you share them with the host. The benefits of burning through those phases where you didn't intend to actually do anything seems to outweigh risking a lack of honor on the other player's parts for sneaking a peak at your loot.

I understand it. But I just remember things getting really hung up when players aren't around for a combat phase that they didn't mean to participate in but RealmSpeak is still asking them if they want to do stuff every turn.
is there any way for someone whistle to remove a password they have set? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
mmesich wrote:
Druid in.

is there any way for someone whistle to remove a password they have set? blush

Not that I know of. No problem though; when the time comes and there's a combat that you don't want to participate in, just send me a message with your password and I can click through your turns. I'll do my best not to peak at anything on your character sheet, but it's up to you. Otherwise, you just have to make sure to be online when the other combatants are on.

Also, I've re-edited my original post to add this: if you're a non-spellcaster and you don't anticipate doing anything during most evenings, uncheck the Daily Combat checkbox for your character. It helps things move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I'm in as the Witch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Murphy
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dwarf is in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sullivan
United States
South Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for hosting I've joined as the pilgrim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:

* We'll be using the following optional rules in a standard 4-week game:
** Grudges and Gratitudes
** Knights Adjustment
** Watchful Natives
** Caching
** Dropping and Losing Belongings

Can someone provide a link to the optionals and their details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always sad when I see the cool optional abilities on my card but never get to use them.

Are they unbalanced or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not playing in the game, but I wanted to say that I am super excited about following this thread. I don't know why, but this is exciting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Burnette
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in as the Captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sullivan
United States
South Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WRT pc optionals the knight adjustment is recommended by the designer to balance for those already powerful fighters

The other pc optionals kinda depend on how many players and which pcs are in the game IMHO and of course play style or preference in general they essentially make those pcs somewhat easier to play (survive!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten a 3rd edition rules copy that provides these optional rules details. They can be found on page 74 and the next several pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
I'm always sad when I see the cool optional abilities on my card but never get to use them.

Are they unbalanced or something?

My understanding is that besides the knights, the other character options are provided for balance when said characters are adventuring solo. From the 3rd ed. rules text:

Quote:
Certain characters are intended to co-operate in teams, where they can combine their strengths to offset their weaknesses. When diplomacy is absent from the game due to a lack of co-operative players, these characters are at a serious disadvantage. This rule modifies these characters to make them more competitive when they operate independently.

I actually think it would be cool for people to form teams, maybe pairing up with other characters. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are playing pvp, its quite dangerous for certain characters not to ally/pair up to defend themselves. I'm only waiting to see if we get a full 16 to determine my likely allies.

Wonder (Wo)man

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.