Marketplace Buyer Guide
How do I buy an item?
In order to buy items in the BoardGameGeek Marketplace just do the following:
- Create an account on BoardGameGeek, and verify your email address.
- Browse to the game you wish to purchase. You can click on [Browse Games] or see if there's a game for sale directly on the game's database entry page.
- Click on the Message button - this will send a message directly to the seller.
- Work out details such as shipping and payment directly with the seller through private messages.
What do the Condition ratings mean?
New - A brand new unused, unopened, and undamaged game in perfect condition. The original packaging and all materials are in brand new condition.
Like New - Game just removed from shrink wrap. No wear and tear, all facets of the game are intact.
Very Good - Very minimal wear and tear. All game materials are present. You would give this item to a friend as a gift.
Good - Minor damage to the box and/or its contents. All game materials are present. Game maybe played once or twice.
Acceptable - Some damage to the box, but the game is still intact. Possible split corner(s) on the box. Maybe missing a non-crucial game piece. Possibly missing rules/instructions, but are available on the web. Scuffing on the game board.
Unacceptable - Major damage to box and its parts. Possibly missing several important pieces. Broken or missing board/box. No rules/instructions, and they are not readily available. Do not sell this game on Board Game Geek.
It is extremely important that sellers accurately describe the items that they list for sale. This policy is a guideline for rating the condition of games. Users not abiding this policy will have their accounts removed from the system.
How do I protect myself from fraud?
- Check the Seller's profile details
- Seller's who have a record of previous sales with fees paid are more likely to be reputable sellers.
- Compare Listings
- Search for similar items to see if your item's price is fair-trade. Be suspicious of hard to find items offered at a very low price.
- Pay using a payment service that provides you with buyer protections, such as PayPal Goods and Services
- Don't Sacrifice Caution for an Impulse Buy
- Always shop with a level head. Take the time to research the item and get to know your seller before agreeing to buy. Don't buy if there isn't enough time to check for warning signs.
- Use Extra Caution with High-Demand Items
- Particularly around the holidays, certain high-demand items are associated with higher purchasing risks.
- Be Wary of Items with Delayed Shipment
- Pay attention to the advised delivery date. Delivery dates further than 20 days after your payment involve more risk.
- If It Sounds Too Good to Be True...
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Ask yourself if the information in the item description sounds believable.
- Warning Signs
- Seller Has Large Quantity of Hard to Find Items If a seller claims to suddenly have a large quantity on an item that's impossible to find, question the validity of the claim.
- Seller Buys Low Dollar Items and Lists High Ticket Items
What if something goes wrong?
Contact your payment service about having your payment refunded.
Use our contact form to let us know if you need to have a payment refunded and the seller does not cooperate.